Is this good for the price?

Weezy

This is my first time buying a kit, wondering if i’m getting a good deal! Comes with the Sabians which are part of the B8 Pro Cymbal set, as well as the rack and set. He’s asking 1,250! Also sorry if this is in the wrong forum🙏🏼

Attachments

• IMG_2269.jpeg
    IMG_2269.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2270.jpeg
    IMG_2270.jpeg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2271.jpeg
    IMG_2271.jpeg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2272.jpeg
    IMG_2272.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 49
It depends on what Gretsch series it is. If that is one of the Catalina series drums, that is not a good price. Some B8 Pro cymbals sound OK, and most of them are so-so. The rack is good. I would not pay more than $800 for that. Peace and goodwill.

It depends on what Gretsch series it is. If that is one of the Catalina series drums, that is not a good price. Some B8 Pro cymbals sound OK, and most of them are so-so. The rack is good. I would not pay more than $800 for that. Peace and goodwill.
It is a Catalina Birch! Thank you for insight I truly appreciate it🙏🏼

Catalina is one of Gretsch’s cheaper import lines, and the B8 cymbals are also made for beginners mainly. That’s a great full kit to get going on as a new drummer, but I also wouldn’t pay more than 800 usd.

My prices may be slightly off but if you bought the drums brand new they probably would be $600-$800, the cymbal set would have been $200-$300 (when those were available), and the rack would have been probably $200. So best case scenario... The seller bought all this for $1,300 brand new. Even if it's all in great shape there at minimum is depreciation.

You can get a decent starter set with full hardware and basic cymbals absolutely brand new in box from Tama or pearl for $600-$800.

I'm not sure that's terrible. If it comes with the throne
Catalina Birch like the Catalina Ash were a step up from basic Catalina luan. Seems they are from that era and.... he's selling everything (?) stands, pedals.... throne....
If you want to get 'to a kit' quick.. It's close to a deal. Sticks? everything? the seller must (of quit cold;
asking 1250 offer 1000
Bird in hand worth 2 in bush lol
bass drum pedal included..(?..
Drum rug?

I mean if you have nothing (at the moment) that looks complete
How about bags see if he'll throw in bags..

Last edited:
Heres a decent Ludwig kit brand new for less. Nothing fancy….poplar shell, made overseas, basic zildjians….but not a bad starter at all. They use to be $899 and with a throne! But as we all know….2024 pricing is not 2019 pricing lol

Is it me or does it look like the pics were made in the 80s (with all those color bands)?
Those Fender stools are cool though!

Like others posted, there are great brand new starters sets for less money so I would let this pass.
In fact, I recently bought a cheap Premier kit with cymbals, hardware, throne and even sticks for € 480 ($518) - I put silent heads on it and use it for quiet band practice.
The drums are fine (and even look great), the cymbals are soso (but you can always upgrade) and I replaced the pedal, throne and hihat stand for better ones I already had.
But it gets the job done and even can be tuned to sound pretty decent with the stock heads. And those can also be upgraded.

I wouldn’t get it at all. The rack is giant overkill and B8s are Sabian’s low end.
This. $1250 for all that is too much. Racks like that aren't necessary, really. They were all the rage twenty and thirty plus years ago, but they seem like overkill now, as has been mentioned. Sabian B8 cymbals are low end. You would be looking to dump them in short order. There are always great cymbals out there for sale used. I say pass on the whole package.

Last edited:
Higher end (and pro) cymbals are typically cast bronze (20 % zinc/80 % copper, sometimes called B20), lathed to shape and hammered to give them their sound. B8 cymbals are only 8 % zinc, rolled and pressed to shape and then hammered. That doesn't mean they sound terrible compared to B20 cast cymbals, but they are generally considered to be beginner/mid-range cymbals. Look up prices for used Sabian B8Pro cymbals to get some idea of what they are worth. Most probably range from $40 to $75 each, depending on size. Check out Guitar Center's used gear as a reference.

The Catalina Birch set is a nice beginner/intermediate drum set. $500 or a little bit more would cover a used 5 piece shell pack (drums only).

The rack isn't something that sells used commonly (by itself). As part of a package it's usually a "gimme" or thrown in to sweeten a deal. I wouldn't allow more than $100 for a rack as part of a package deal.

Hardware (hat stand, throne, snare stand, bass pedal) falls into the same category as the rack. You can find hardware on the used market, but prices are typically very modest compared to new. If you need a new XXX, you'd probably buy new rather than hope to find a used XXX in good shape on Craigslist. Certain high end pedals can command high prices on the used market, but the stuff mentioned in the original post seems to be beginner/intermediate gear.

All in all, I'd pretty much agree with @bongoman on the price for the whole set, ± $50. If I was really hot to buy a fully outfitted drum set, this one wouldn't be bad, but I probably wouldn't pay more than $900. More than likely, you'd end up adding and/or replacing cymbals and drum heads in a year or two, trying to find "your sound." That's normal and expected - knowing that, I'd hesitate to spend too much for gear I was going to replace.

Is it me or does it look like the pics were made in the 80s (with all those color bands)?
It looks like an early 2000's era Gretsch Cat to me. The heads appear to be original and will likely need to be replaced due to age. That will cost $200+ for all of them.

Last edited:
I have Sabian B8 Pro cymbals and they are good practice cymbals, I gig with them sometimes. The drum heads show little wear. I think this kit might be worth about USA $ 700. I can't see the bass drum pedal so I can't judge the value of the pedal. I think that stool is worth about $ 70 new, maybe $ 30 used.

I think that if you want to gig, that kit is a bit much to carry. Personally, I'd keep looking.

index.php

looks like you could sell the rack/ the tom post is still there/ and use your two cymbal stands

the rack's a **** move, just for looks, on that size set/
the rack /in this case/ is like virtue/signaling/
redonkulous/

wait. bonus. He/she didn't ruin the front head with a hole! modern Miracle!!

Tell him 700$ or less and he can keep the rack..

Last edited:
That is a pretty rack and kit. Looks like right now the whole rack holds two cymbals but it could surely be fitted for a whole slew of them.
IDK anything about prices but it is lovely and expandable if one were wanting to build a monster kit

Back