What looks better?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Pictured below is my 26” bass and 18” floor tom pictured with either the 9x13 or 10x14 rack tom. My OCD is kicking in is wanting to ask which looks more “normal”?

Using the 13” is cool, but it’s like the Charlie Watts thing using a 12” tom to go with his 16 floor tom and 22 bass drum. The 14 makes the kit “catalog proper” like looking at a 13/16/22 set-up.

I can get good tones out of either rack tom, so which one do you prefer (especially if you also already have a 13/16/22 kit to use as well)?9CB2C15B-C08C-4B6A-9F35-78EC8EBDEA39.jpeg05DD999A-CB4A-427C-A9E7-441919D24105.jpeg

In my opinion, the 13" makes the set look a bit "lighter" up top - maybe more balanced. I'm betting the 14" might be a bit taller to reach, where the 13" could be a bit more "comfortable" - especially if you like a tight setup.

On the sonic side of the question - does the 13" give you too big of a "step" to the 18" FT or is it a better contrast?

In reality, most of your audience (and probably me!) wouldn't know the difference unless they've seen two photos juxtaposed.

First World Problems... ;) :ROFLMAO:

Right here I prefer the aesthetics of the 13 set-up but I'm STILL partial to Ian's shallow 15? or 16 single mount (in a snarestand) on Deep Purples Made in Japan album cover. Every time I see your kit it takes me back to Purples glory days. Silver sparkle takes me back to my favorite times when I saw Dino Dinelli..Ian Paice..the drummer for Tommy James and the Shondells..a dear friend Jack Setan..and many more playing silver sparkle ludwig kits.

13 looks nicer. I also think it would "look" nicer if you got it up over the bass drum a little more, but if thats not comfortable to play on I understand.

Went OCD, and previewed the pics side by side....
For "looks", the way it's set up, the 14.

On MY kit, with a 26 I use a 9x13, so go figure....

I can't get past the black mic stand covering the whole front of the bass drum...... at least it's straight across🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

If I saw the 13 up there I'd say hmm jazz drummer...
with the 14 I'd just say "this guy is outrageous"..

With this photo perspective, I'd say 13.

On my kit, though, with a 24/13/16 layout, there are times I think the 13 looks too small, lol. So, I'd want to see the kit from different angles and distances, but my gut tells me the 14 will look better more often than not.

All that said, I'd still go by sound rather than looks.

“Alex what is a 13 in tom for the win.”
Alex “The correct answer is a 13 in tom”.
There ya go.

that's One extra inch... either way!
north and West 😁

Don't take this the wrong way but if your 13 sounds good it'll be the only 13 on 🌎 that does. But hey..some drummers actually like that odd different from all the other drums sound. I'm stickin to my lifelong feelings on that but it LOOKS cool. 😃

Don't take this the wrong way but if your 13 sounds good it'll be the only 13 on 🌎 that does. But hey..some drummers actually like that odd different from all the other drums sound. I'm stickin to my lifelong feelings on that but it LOOKS cool. 😃
Dude, every 13" I ever owned sounded good! That's been 6 of them, at least. Might have forgotten one or two. 🤣

if it means anything it took me 5 or 6 "back and forths before I noticed anything other than the sick silver sparkle!!!!!

a few hours later..

The 14" (y)

Back