What looks better?

Dude, every 13" I ever owned sounded good! That's been 6 of them, at least. Might have forgotten one or two. 🤣
Young man!..you go to your room right now!..What did I tell! you about 13" drums..yet your dead set about liking them. You can just stay! there until your ready to give me the truth! about those horrific well..well you! know. 😃

Looks wise I think it's fine either way. I would be more concerned about tonal spread from 13 to 18 vs 14 to 18 (I would think the 14 wins here) as well as comfort/reach (I would think the 13 wins here).

I prefer the 13 inch tom, but my opinion does not count. Peace and goodwill.

Can't help with which looks better because both setups are perfectly fine. I seem to prefer a bigger difference between a rack tom and floor tom, so Id go for the smaller diameter rack tom but what I really came in to say was...

Holy crap that's a beautiful kit.

Can't help with which looks better because both setups are perfectly fine. I seem to prefer a bigger difference between a rack tom and floor tom, so Id go for the smaller diameter rack tom but what I really came in to say was...

Holy crap that's a beautiful kit.
Here’s something I didn’t consider: when I go with new heads on the toms and go for a nice deep sound (I’m using Evans EC2s heads), I notice the chord of both the 14 and 18 sounds more pleasing than the 13 and the 18. Since a lot of what I do involves double-stops involving both toms, the 14 wins out at this - and it’s small enough so you can hear a difference between it and the 18. The 13 produces a higher fundamental pitch which makes it stick out more - cool if I have a few toms and want separate tones all over the place, but the chord of both the 13/18 produced sounds out of tune. Bonham made the 14/16/18 thing work - perhaps I can too 😉

Back