Differences between a 3-ply 15" floor tom and 16" floor tom?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Dumb question, but here goes:

I may have a chance in the upcoming months to get a vintage Ludwig kit - 22, 13, 15. Is there any noticeable sonic differences between a 15" 3-ply floor tom and a 16 with all things being equal?

15's usually shorter like 12 x15? Club Date duco drum from the 50s maybe?

Like jda askes, for clarification, you're talking about the 15x12 Club Date floor tom ???

It's a single-headed tom that's being converted to a double-headed floor tom. It's the drum sitting on the boxes.

Edit: My buddy who's finishing this up is going to use matching Ludwig lugs and possibly floor tom brackets.

johns ludwigs.jpg

Last edited:
sonic? eh Floor Toms a Floor tom (It's a "target" over there ; )

Is the 16" a 10X16 Concert marching tom? (kidding (but could be +/-

edit: had a hunch..

Heck no it won't matter; we don't stay in that 'area' very long ; ) anyway
It's just a 'low noise over there..

Nice pearl (and badge) and interior, match!

Last edited:
sonic? eh Floor Toms a Floor tom (It's a "target" over there ; )

Is the 16" a 10X16 Concert marching tom? (kidding (but could be +/-

edit: had a hunch..

I just posted a pic above, probably while you were typing your response.

Yes I finished up :) Looks Nice.
I'd go with it.

Finding a 15" rim may take a minute or two

It's a single-headed tom that's being converted to a double-headed floor tom. It's the drum sitting on the boxes.
I think those were also 15x12. It's gonna have a slightly shorter sustain, than if it was a square sized 15x15. If you've ever dealt with hanging floor toms vs standard traditional sizes (Yamaha's were 14x13 vs 14x14, 16x15 vs 16x16), there's a slight difference.

But the 3 ply shell is gonna be killer, in the warmth department. And if you lined up a 15x12 in between a 14x14 and 16x16, I really don't think your gonna hear a whole lotta difference between the shorter 15, and the taller 14 and 16. Some, perhaps, but not a lot.

Last edited:
Good immediate response with the shallower depth
like a rack floor tom- yum.
Can always add a Gong Drum later

Difference between 15" and 16"?

One inch... (Sorry! lol)

I've had a 15 in the past. I know they have a lot of appeal to some folks, but IDK. Mine sounded great, but in the end it's just another drum. I didn't find it vastly different than the 16. Heads are a little harder to find in person. I find it hard to get excited about them.

That said, that Luddie looks great! I'd be tempted. It's a vintage drum, after all!!

I think you should go for it. I don't think there will be any sonic differences worth noting. 15" toms can tune pretty far up and down just like any other drum.

I also wouldn't worry about getting heads or rims. Drum Factory Direct has several options and I've had no problems getting things for my 15" Ludwig tom.

If you do go for the 1216 Classic bracket for floor tom legs I'd strongly recommend getting the spacers that fit under the bracket to get the legs a little farther out from the shell. Newer hoops are larger in diameter these days and the legs will often rub against the bottom flange of a modern triple flange hoop without the spacer.

I think you should go for it. I don't think there will be any sonic differences worth noting. 15" toms can tune pretty far up and down just like any other drum.

I also wouldn't worry about getting heads or rims. Drum Factory Direct has several options and I've had no problems getting things for my 15" Ludwig tom.

If you do go for the 1216 Classic bracket for floor tom legs I'd strongly recommend getting the spacers that fit under the bracket to get the legs a little farther out from the shell. Newer hoops are larger in diameter these days and the legs will often rub against the bottom flange of a modern triple flange hoop without the spacer.

Right now this kit belongs to a friend of mine. I’m sure he has all the parts needed for it.

So, i actually have a single headed 15x12 inch tom converted to a floor tom from a Ludwig Octaplus. 3 ply maple with re-rings but granitone interior. It is a really nice floor tom and can sound close to the 16 tone wise. the strangest thing about the 15 diameter is the placement of the legs. 14,16,18 seem to have evenly spaces legs, the 15 doesnt. 2 of them are closer than the 3rd. the lugs are in the way of the leg brackets because of the diameter. its still steady and wont loses balance though.

So, i actually have a single headed 15x12 inch tom converted to a floor tom from a Ludwig Octaplus. 3 ply maple with re-rings but granitone interior. It is a really nice floor tom and can sound close to the 16 tone wise. the strangest thing about the 15 diameter is the placement of the legs. 14,16,18 seem to have evenly spaces legs, the 15 doesnt. 2 of them are closer than the 3rd. the lugs are in the way of the leg brackets because of the diameter. its still steady and wont loses balance though.

My modern classic maples have the same uneven leg arrangement that you mentioned above because they use atlas mounts (16 x 16 and a 18 x 16). Both drums are super solid when set up.

Back