Zildjian 14" A Thin Crash Rant

How does it compare to the sound of the A line? Although I have not heard one in person, I'm thinking it has more of a metallic sound.

The S series sounds to me like they have less body (more pshhh) than the A and K series. Like the mids being scooped out and the highs turned up.

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me when and why the heck Zildjian would do away with the 14" Thin Crash??!! Like I'm supposed to buy an S series 14" Thin Crash in lieu of the A series. Yeah, right! WTF?!!

Ok, I'm done now. Off to look at what Sabian has to offer. I was looking for an A Thin Crash to use as a Hi-Hat top. Maybe HHX is closest to the A Zildjian line?
Try an A fast crash.
I'm using one with a mastersound A bottom.
Works quite nice.

I recently sold my A and A Custom sets of Mastersounds, and am back to using my UFIP hi-hat top over an A hi-hat bottom. I thought an A Fast Crash might be too light, thus too low in volume. What does your A Fast Crash weigh? And, what is its exact diameter, if you don't mind?

Going right back to your first post, if you are looking for a Hi Hat top, my favorite pairing is

14" 1960s 732g
14" 1960s 1120g

I had the bottom and went looking for a top at the weight I knew (from my New Beats research which shows a 2:3 weight ratio) should work well. 60s 14" cymbals are plentiful and inexpensive. You won't be likely to find one with THIN ink although they do exist. This is a 776g example

NB-thin-top-ink.jpg

Reconstructing weight classes means finding these occasional cymbals which still have their weight class ink. So if you do find a cymbal and there is any weight or model ink, please do let me know. Every new data point helps.
Do you happen to know how much difference there might be between the hollow logo models that sport "THIN CRASH" on the front vs. the solid logo models that also say "THIN CRASH" on them, but have no large or small "A"? For example, is the solid ink simply a change in their logo stencil, or are they significantly different in metal composition, shape, lathing, etc., such that if I mix a solid ink version with my hollow logo crashes, it will sound out of place?

Thanks for the reply. When they went from no "A" to small "A" (don't know exactly when that was), there was a big difference in sound (in a bad way, in my opinion), and the color of the metal was more "orange-ish". But, when they went from small "A" to large "A" (that you mentioned), the sound got a lot nicer again. I was wondering/hoping that there might not be a detrimental change from hollow logo to solid logo (before "A").

Back