Yamaha Stage Custom

Shhhh. Next, people will be saying the Stage Custom is just as good as the RC! šŸ˜‚
Speaking of that.

There was a time that the first generation high tension lugs SC was indeed perfered.

This because the MIJ RCā€™s lacked the punch on the the players side for some (including me).

That is why prefered the RTC over the RC.

I love the MIC RCā€™s. They really upraded them on this generation.

Since this version of the SC has been around since 2014, when can we expect a NEW version? And what changes would they make to it?

A very nice kit for the money indeed. Suggested it as a shared band-kit for the guitarist in my band last year, he had no clue what to get, then it's hard to go wrong with SC's I told him, especially the newer ones. Only thing I slightly dislike is the 1,6 mm hoops and shallower toms, but I've learned to live with it. They look good, sound great and hold up as far as I can tell. And after he got that and I could use it regularly, I got bitten by the practicality of the tom-mounting and general quality of the kit, so I bought a higher-end Yamaha kit myself :). I think the SC kit kind of rekindled that old Yamaha spark in me (my first kit was a Power V Special, kind of the predecessor to Stage Customs).

But yeah, nice kit :)
I have heard the Power V Special drums described as the first Stage Custom Advantage drums, I'm okay with that.

I like mine very much.

Since this version of the SC has been around since 2014, when can we expect a NEW version? And what changes would they make to it?
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't give them any ideas!

I've been thinking the same thing though. Some companies mess with their lines too often, and that's a big turn off if you get stuck with a kit that you cannot get add ons for anymore. That's what turned me off of Mapex. They had a great thing going with the Meridian lines, and then changed nearly everything when they introduced Armory and Mars, and (in my opinion) neither were as good as Meridian Maple and Meridian Birch.

Yamaha seems a little more even keel than that, especially since moving to building everything in house.

They've hit on a winning formula. I hope they don't mess with it.

Of course, they could change some stuff, but if it further adds to the cost.....

They've hit on a winning formula. I hope they don't mess with it.

Of course, they could change some stuff, but if it further adds to the cost.....
Iā€™d be happy if they just introduced new finishes and kept everything else the same. Maybe shorten the bass drum to 16ā€ depth.

I'm not going to lie - I'm a former Yamaha GEEK...and I never...ever....really liked the sound of the PHX line haha.
Have not had the pleasure yet. Love RC's and TC's, though I'm still going Ludwig when I get a nice set.

Have not had the pleasure yet. Love RC's and TC's, though I'm still going Ludwig when I get a nice set.
Funny. I love my Yamaha but Iā€™m seriously considering a Ludwig next too. But I want a good Ludwig kit with a sturdy bass drum mount like the Yammys and most of the better new Ludwigs have virgin bass drums, or you have the vintage Ludwigs with old, suspect hardware.

Funny. I love my Yamaha but Iā€™m seriously considering a Ludwig next too. But I want a good Ludwig kit with a sturdy bass drum mount like the Yammys and most of the better new Ludwigs have virgin bass drums, or you have the vintage Ludwigs with old, suspect hardware.
I grew up with a hoop mounted tom bracket that would make my rack just fall off out of nowhere. So anything is an improvement to me :D

Reactions: Jml
Which one did you own?

I loved them right from the start, but they are an aquired taste to most.

I do notice they shine the most in a studio enveironment (but there is no reason not play them live if you own one).

I used to gig a Yamaha PHX kit . Big bold sounding drums , but the weight finally got to me and I sold them . I considered buying my former kit back , but clearer heads prevailed .
21AC269A-E1AC-48C8-A768-19C6CEAD006D.jpegCE334B16-1695-42AF-88CB-CAF1B40D4098.jpeg

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't give them any ideas!

I've been thinking the same thing though. Some companies mess with their lines too often, and that's a big turn off if you get stuck with a kit that you cannot get add ons for anymore. That's what turned me off of Mapex. They had a great thing going with the Meridian lines, and then changed nearly everything when they introduced Armory and Mars, and (in my opinion) neither were as good as Meridian Maple and Meridian Birch.

Yamaha seems a little more even keel than that, especially since moving to building everything in house.
Iā€™ve come to find out that Yamaha only makes very considered moves, almost never does anything just to do it, and thatā€™s what I like about them.

I used to gig a Yamaha PHX kit . Big bold sounding drums , but the weight finally got to me and I sold them . I considered buying my former kit back , but clearer heads prevailed .
View attachment 115299View attachment 115300
Stunning kit.

After I came back from the DW kits I was suprised how light they are compared to those.

The 10ā€ I have now isnā€™t that much extremely heavier than the 8ā€ā€™Stage Custom too I have noticed.

Which one did you own?

I loved them right from the start, but they are an aquired taste to most.

I do notice they shine the most in a studio enveironment (but there is no reason not play them live if you own one).

I had a Maple Custom with the YESS mounts, the Japanese Made Shells in the Vintage Natural finish with the gold lugs....In my mind still probably the most beautiful mass produced drum kit ever made. Wonderful kit - could do anything for the most part. Oh and my first kit ever was a 60's Yamaha Golden Dragon C-200.

I tried a couple PHX kits that friends owned - one bop, one more fusion sized larger kits...I actually got to spend some time with the fusion kit (10,12,14,16, 22) during a couple week residency.

I just never found a sweet spot for those...I wanted to love them - but never felt good - never sounded good enough to warrant the price...that was about the time I moved away from Yamaha drums. I feel like I'd need a few months and every style of head to find the exact right combo - which once I found it I'm sure would be great....but I can't stop a set of Gretsch drums from sounding good, if that makes sense.

I had a Maple Custom with the YESS mounts, the Japanese Made Shells in the Vintage Natural finish with the gold lugs....In my mind still probably the most beautiful mass produced drum kit ever made. Wonderful kit - could do anything for the most part. Oh and my first kit ever was a 60's Yamaha Golden Dragon C-200.

I tried a couple PHX kits that friends owned - one bop, one more fusion sized larger kits...I actually got to spend some time with the fusion kit (10,12,14,16, 22) during a couple week residency.

I just never found a sweet spot for those...I wanted to love them - but never felt good - never sounded good enough to warrant the price...that was about the time I moved away from Yamaha drums. I feel like I'd need a few months and every style of head to find the exact right combo - which once I found it I'm sure would be great....but I can't stop a set of Gretsch drums from sounding good, if that makes sense.
After five DW Collectors kits, I got the same kind of vibe. They sound good, but they werenā€™t incredible, making me wonder why the price was so high. I kept thinking it was me, hence trying at least five sets. I donā€™t think I loved the maple shell sound until I got these orphaned Rogers from 1978. Thereā€™s something about those.

But my Stage Customs are outstanding for the price. Iā€™ve used them on six gigs so far and they do not disappoint!

Back