• Yes (side/alternative snare)

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 56.0%

• Total voters
one of the most

ludwig_carioca_71.jpg

unusual "Outfit's" of all time (check the snare

That kit would be so fun to play! I don't really use toms all that often nor do I play much Latin music but having those bright, cutting, barky timbales upfront would be a hoot.

Last edited:
  • Like!!
Reactions: jda
When I bought my rn2 burnt orange kit…the sweetwater salesman made a quote for every piece they sell…so it was a great package deal so I bit the bullet thinking it will help the kit retain value over time…..eh, probably not.

Unfortunately I never use it. It’s still in the box. Minus the 302 hoops….i took those off and put them on the supra. 😂
Probably best that you bought it. My RN2 snare was only $149 USD extra so it was a no brainer to include it. Sounds many times more expensive than that.

Probably best that you bought it. My RN2 snare was only $149 USD extra so it was a no brainer to include it. Sounds many times more expensive than that.

I hear ya. The price was phenomenal ($0)

But it can’t get past the metallic snares I have…. I should make more time for it and toss it up there more frequently

I mainly just mean "the snare that came with your kit". Seeing as metal stock kit snares are more of a rarity these days then it's safe to assume that when discussing modern kits it's in regards to a snare made from the same materials and sold with the whole package.
That would describe my wood and acrylic snares, my 'orphan stock snares'. If the shell makes good kicks and toms, there's no reason it wouldn't make a good snare drum (unless the snare bed is bad). IIRC Phil Collins also used an orphan acrylic snare in the studio for 'A Trick Of The Tail' which gave a great tone.

Like several others, very few of the kits I owned came with stock snares. However, here are some stock snares I've played that sounded pretty darn good.

1. Peavey Radial Pro 1000 snare sounded great! I should have kept it. Ugliest looking snare I've ever seen.
2. Gretsch Renown stock snares I've played sound good.
3. Pork Pie USA that came matched with my kit sounded good, but it was very loud.
4. Yamaha Oak Custom snare that matched the kit at a show I played was very nice.

Worst stock snares I've played have been the Tama Rockstar steel shell, the Pearl steel shell, and the "basswood" Sonor snare that came with the Bop kit.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people will say they typically do not use the stock snare drum that comes with a kit but I'm curious: Do you use the stock snare drum that comes with a kit? Main position, side/alternative position, or not at all?

It seems like most people say, "I don't care what the toms and bass are made out of as long as I have my BB/supra/etc etc etc"

It's weird for me. I like the sound and feel of higher quality snare drums and I enjoy playing them. That said.. I've never bought a kit that didn't come with a snare and I feel bad spending more money to get a different snare when my drums came with one that works fine. I look at it this way, at rehearsal nuance is irrelevant because I'm just reinforcing songs and in most live situations your typical listener isn't going to tell the difference between a $100 poplar snare and a $400 maple snare.
Excellent question, back when I first started and got my first kit the stock snare on my Powerbeat was of course a Powerbeat.

Now you get a fairly good snare with most beginner kits but don't feel bad about spending some cash getting another snare as it can a new dimension or colour to your playing pallet.

Excellent question, back when I first started and got my first kit the stock snare on my Powerbeat was of course a Powerbeat.

Now you get a fairly good snare with most beginner kits but don't feel bad about spending some cash getting another snare as it can a new dimension or colour to your playing pallet.
Well said

My story is similar. My first kit was a four piece Gretsch Cat Club. I thought the snare sounded fine. (I didn't know any better :D)
Two years later I bought a 6.5" BB. Now, the sound of that Gretsch snare is painful.

My story is similar. My first kit was a four piece Gretsch Cat Club. I thought the snare sounded fine. (I didn't know any better :D)
Two years later I bought a 6.5" BB. Now, the sound of that Gretsch snare is painful.
THere was nothing good about the PB snare but when you are starting out you don't know any better and love what you have.

Last edited:
:oops: ...not the BUCK ROGERS snare drum stand...!! 😁
?................ mine worked all summer gigs, long!!
and is still a "smart" stand!

GretschTimeZone.jpeg

😁 thanks for asking!

GretschTimeZone.jpegGretschPearl2.JPG

Last edited:
Worst stock snares I've played have been the Tama Rockstar steel shell, the Pearl steel shell
My first kit was a '91 (2nd gen) Rockstar kit. Even then I thought the snare sounded a lil' funky, in a way I couldn't quite put my finger on. I then read a review of the kit somewhere (MD, maybe?) that gave it good marks for the level of kit that it was, but also described the snare as having a very "Alex Van Halen" tone to it that couldn't be tuned out. I immediately recognized that description was spot-on- it sounded just like the snare in "I'll Wait". Then I couldn't un-hear it. A guy I knew had a Pearl Export snare in the same dimensions (6.5x14); he wanted to trade for my Tama snare for some reason, but his strainer was broken. So we traded but I moved my Tama strainer to his shell. It sounded more "normal"- better than it should've- and it was my metal snare option even after I bought my first "pro" level snare, a Legend 5.5x14 maple.

Several years after buying the Legend I got my Pacific CX kit that is now named as my rehearsal kit in my signature, but was my gig kit for a while because it sounded much better (pro level) and was in sizes I preferred. Pacific snares around this period became widely known as punching way above their weight, and this stock snare was no exception (it still gets compliments)- so much so that the Legend became redundant and I sold it. Next kit was a Mapex Pro-M (in my sig as my gig kit), which sounded as good as the Pacific and its hardware was nicer, so it got promoted. Its snare is also pro sounding. I also just recently purchased a PDP Concept Maple kit that sounds equally phenomenal all-around, including the 6x14 snare. It's going to become my gig kit.

While I worked in instrument retail for a while, I noticed that even entry Tama & Mapex kit snares were better than decent. And oddly, one snare I definitely never cared for its boxy tone no matter the tuning was the Starclassic Performer birch one that came with the 1st gen SCP kit we stocked. Maybe that one was just a lemon and they're generally great, but this one wasn't.

So I wonder if, going back to the 50s and 60s, the nicer snares included with kits like in @jda 's catalog examples that landed with kids/teenagers just got hit so much more often and without much care (especially as rock got rowdier and louder) than the toms & bass, that they just got thrashed, then replaced with whatever snare drums they or their parents could afford, so the companies took notice and started offering lower quality snares with the kits and kept the nicer ones as upgrade options. Then by the time of my era, kit snares were certainly not pro level, but nicer with more attention to detail paid (and increasingly so, that by the 00s, kit snares were very nice), so they wouldn't get labeled as junk so quickly, but the rep of kit snares is so hard to shake that they still get a bad rap? Those of you who mentioned Gretsch RN2, Yamaha, etc. snares being better than you originally thought after giving them a 2nd evaluation- maybe there's a good reason for that.

Last edited:
and it was my metal snare option even after I bought my first "pro" level snare, a Legend 5.5x14 maple.

I traded off my 6.5 x 14 Legend Phosphor Bronze to a friend a year or so ago. It was a very nice drum!

And oddly, one snare I definitely never cared for its boxy tone no matter the tuning was the Starclassic Performer birch one that came with the 1st gen SCP kit we stocked.

I've not played many of them, but I've never played a Tama snare that I've liked.

So I wonder if, going back to the 50s and 60s, the nicer snares included with kits like in @jda 's catalog examples that landed with kids/teenagers just got hit so much more often and without much care (especially as rock got rowdier and louder) than the toms & bass, that they just got thrashed, then replaced with whatever snare drums they or their parents could afford, so the companies took notice and started offering lower quality snares with the kits and kept the nicer ones as upgrade options.
This could be true, but it may just be cost effectiveness as well.

I selected stock drum in the main position although Premier Signia was ordered a la carte when I ordered, but stores sold the kits with the Signia snare in the main position and that's how I placed my order.

My Taye StudioMaple kit came with a matching snare, and it was mostly an afterthought when I ordered the kit because I ordered a nickel over brass snare along with it with the idea that the nickel over brass snare would be what I used. But that stock matching snare turned out to be a very good drum, and I would have no trouble using it in just about any situation. (I typically take it as a backup snare at gigs.... and sometimes even just decide to use it at the gig for the hell of it)

When I bought my rn2 burnt orange kit…the sweetwater salesman made a quote for every piece they sell…so it was a great package deal so I bit the bullet thinking it will help the kit retain value over time…..eh, probably not.

Unfortunately I never use it. It’s still in the box. Minus the 302 hoops….i took those off and put them on the supra. 😂
I wouldn't pay top dollar for it (I'm cheap and might want something different) but is it a rare color? Midrange/pro Gretsch IMO doesn't say to me 'bad investment'.

Can I get different drums of similar quality for less if I'm flexible on things like color and age? Yes, I assume so.

My first kit was a '91 (2nd gen) Rockstar kit. Even then I thought the snare sounded a lil' funky, in a way I couldn't quite put my finger on. I then read a review of the kit somewhere (MD, maybe?) that gave it good marks for the level of kit that it was, but also described the snare as having a very "Alex Van Halen" tone to it that couldn't be tuned out. I immediately recognized that description was spot-on- it sounded just like the snare in "I'll Wait". Then I couldn't un-hear it. A guy I knew had a Pearl Export snare in the same dimensions (6.5x14); he wanted to trade for my Tama snare for some reason, but his strainer was broken. So we traded but I moved my Tama strainer to his shell. It sounded more "normal"- better than it should've- and it was my metal snare option even after I bought my first "pro" level snare, a Legend 5.5x14 maple.

Several years after buying the Legend I got my Pacific CX kit that is now named as my rehearsal kit in my signature, but was my gig kit for a while because it sounded much better (pro level) and was in sizes I preferred. Pacific snares around this period became widely known as punching way above their weight, and this stock snare was no exception (it still gets compliments)- so much so that the Legend became redundant and I sold it. Next kit was a Mapex Pro-M (in my sig as my gig kit), which sounded as good as the Pacific and its hardware was nicer, so it got promoted. Its snare is also pro sounding. I also just recently purchased a PDP Concept Maple kit that sounds equally phenomenal all-around, including the 6x14 snare. It's going to become my gig kit.

While I worked in instrument retail for a while, I noticed that even entry Tama & Mapex kit snares were better than decent. And oddly, one snare I definitely never cared for its boxy tone no matter the tuning was the Starclassic Performer birch one that came with the 1st gen SCP kit we stocked. Maybe that one was just a lemon and they're generally great, but this one wasn't.

So I wonder if, going back to the 50s and 60s, the nicer snares included with kits like in @jda 's catalog examples that landed with kids/teenagers just got hit so much more often and without much care (especially as rock got rowdier and louder) than the toms & bass, that they just got thrashed, then replaced with whatever snare drums they or their parents could afford, so the companies took notice and started offering lower quality snares with the kits and kept the nicer ones as upgrade options. Then by the time of my era, kit snares were certainly not pro level, but nicer with more attention to detail paid (and increasingly so, that by the 00s, kit snares were very nice), so they wouldn't get labeled as junk so quickly, but the rep of kit snares is so hard to shake that they still get a bad rap? Those of you who mentioned Gretsch RN2, Yamaha, etc. snares being better than you originally thought after giving them a 2nd evaluation- maybe there's a good reason for that.
I've always been on the hunt for bargains, and have definitely read about how little people like those PDP wood snares. I've asked about Pro M/birch Mapex as well and was told they are only OK.

I had that same Tama snare and could. not. sell it. It got to the point that I was finding it super weird and debated if I should part it out, since the cast hoops/shell/parts would definitely be worth more than I paid. I eventually shipped it in error to someone who had bought a cymbal from me and he agreed to keep it instead of the cymbal. I had a a Pearl Artisan II ($199 new, whenever they were new) next to the SC Performer and nothing about the SCP seemed higher quality (not that it was bad). I realize only now that I could be comparing a Pearl from 2010ish to a Tama from the 90s.

I wouldn't pay top dollar for it (I'm cheap and might want something different) but is it a rare color? Midrange/pro Gretsch IMO doesn't say to me 'bad investment'.

Can I get different drums of similar quality for less if I'm flexible on things like color and age? Yes, I assume so.

It is a gretsch rn2 renown in a somewhat special color that only Sweetwater sells….its a lacquer finish called burnt orange sparkle, so rare I suppose

Back