Sabian XS cymbals

JimmyM

Diamond Member
A killer drummer I’m working with uses all XS cymbals and they don’t sound bad at all to me. Matter of fact, he sounds pretty good with them. Must admit I like my AAs a little better but not by much. So the only difference is they’re not hammered?

Sabian doesn't really explain all the differences (give away the voodoo) between the XS20 and AA line ...... but certainly less labor would result in "more affordable", so yeah, amount of hammering and lathing would probably be the ticket. Certainly sound waaay better that most B8 cymbals. Paiste being the B8 exception. The Sabian XSR line also has some nice cymbals in it.

Sabian doesn't really explain all the differences (give away the voodoo) between the XS20 and AA line ...... but certainly less labor would result in "more affordable", so yeah, amount of hammering and lathing would probably be the ticket. Certainly sound waaay better that most B8 cymbals. Paiste being the B8 exception. The Sabian XSR line also has some nice cymbals in it.
Without a doubt they sound better than most B8s, although this set of Sabian B8 hi hats in the house kit at a local joint isn’t bad. The ZBT crash is garbage though. Was curious about the XS line because I thought they were B20 and the lathing looks kind of like my AAs.

The XS20 series was intended to be a cheaper B20 alloy line, filling the price gap between B8 Pro and AA. They have since morphed into the XSR series, but the idea is still the same. Like any other cymbal line I'm sure the lower price comes from there being less hand work done to the cymbals.

The XS20 series was intended to be a cheaper B20 alloy line, filling the price gap between B8 Pro and AA. They have since morphed into the XSR series, but the idea is still the same. Like any other cymbal line I'm sure the lower price comes from there being less hand work done to the cymbals.
Well I’m pretty impressed by the ones my friend has. I’ve noticed that some of them look like they get SR2 lathing but others look closer to AAs. His look like AAs except they don’t look hammered much.

XS20 and XSR are just lathed. Not hammering at all. That keeps their price down. They aren’t bad at all. Had a set for 10 years. They are pretty one dimensional so not a lot of options to pull different sounds out. For a straight up rock band, no one would ever notice their shortcomings.

XS20 and XSR are just lathed. Not hammering at all. That keeps their price down. They aren’t bad at all. Had a set for 10 years. They are pretty one dimensional so not a lot of options to pull different sounds out. For a straight up rock band, no one would ever notice their shortcomings.
We do blues, swing and rockabilly.

The XS20 were not hammered, but Sabian's website says that the XSR's are hammered, maybe not much but hammered none the less. Peace and goodwill.

PS I really like my XS20 14" Hats.

One thing I will note about the XS20s and the XSRs is that they can at times lack projection. In a lot of situations, that won't make much of a difference, even in a loud rock band.

I've got an XS20 18" Chinese that is quite nice, but seems lacking some nuance compared to both an AAX 18" and a AA 18" Chinese I used to have (but cracked and replaced with the XS20).

I own AA for gigs and XS20 for rehearsal. 2 identical kit - 10 14 16 18 20.
AA have more cutting sound and more power but XS20 do sound good. Especially the hi hat. Weak point are the 10” splash and 16” crash. Curiously the 18 crash sounds ok but not the 16”.

Last edited:
Great info, thx folks! I used to be down on budget cymbals but I am learning that some are pretty good as long as you pick them carefully.

I agree. The old XS20s were definitely more AA-like, and the newer XSR redesign takes much more (per Sabian) from the AAX and HHX Evolutions. It's true though, they really do have a more AAX-like response.
Having played the XSR and owning a set of XS20, and now HHX Evolutions, if that’s what Sabian or as their logo now reads “Sabiano” is saying, I’ll have to say that’s a real stretch. Walk up to a set of XSR and smack them with one finger like a stick, then do the same with the AAX and then the Evolution. The differences will speak volumes….literally.

Having played the XSR and owning a set of XS20, and now HHX Evolutions, if that’s what Sabian or as their logo now reads “Sabiano” is saying, I’ll have to say that’s a real stretch. Walk up to a set of XSR and smack them with one finger like a stick, then do the same with the AAX and then the Evolution. The differences will speak volumes….literally.
I don’t think anyone would expect them to sound just like the top lines, otherwise why have the top lines?

I don’t think anyone would expect them to sound just like the top lines, otherwise why have the top lines?
I wasn’t saying they were bad at all. I got along with them fine for a decade. So far as a more entry level price point is concerned, I really can’t think of any that sound like real cymbals.

It’s more the Sabiano marketing I’m harping on. They use to say these were designed to be a working drummer’s budget friendly cymbals that don’t offend or something to that effect. That was truth right there.

They don’t spend hours hammering and working them which is how you get their price. Are there some nice ones? You better believe it. They tend to be thicker since they haven’t been worked and tensioned like some of their upper lines.

For them to market them to make the comparison is sorta like saying a Bug is like a 911 Porsche. Yup, both were egg shaped and have similar headlights and rear engines…. I just liked their previous marketing better, but there was a whole thread about their change in marketing so no point it beating that dead horse again.

....... but I am learning that some are pretty good as long as you pick them carefully.
Yep. That's the trick. I have the 14" XSR Monarch hats and 18" XSR Monarch crash ..... and they work great when paired my 22" AA Apollo ride and 18" HH King Crash. Play well with my 18" AA Sick Hats ..... and my HHX Xtreme crashes and Vanguards also work well in combinations.

I never said XSRs sounded as good as AAX or HHX Evos, but they do take some of the design philosophies, as far as the cymbal profile, weights and resulting response from those two factors go. Obviously, without all the extra cold work that goes into make AAX or HHX Evolutions cost more in labor to make. No one is expecting them to sound as good as AAX or HHXs.

I never said XSRs sounded as good as AAX or HHX Evos, but they do take some of the design philosophies, as far as the cymbal profile, weights and resulting response from those two factors go. Obviously, without all the extra cold work that goes into make AAX or HHX Evolutions cost more in labor to make. No one is expecting them to sound as good as AAX or HHXs.
Yup, already said the same above. Also more a reference to what Sabiano may be marketing than your statement.

Back