Downsizing in changing times

I do agree with both these statements. I miss the sound of a 22. The way you can feel the noise. I have given up the notion of having a dream kit, it's just about what gets me playing out now. Il just have to look forward to playing and enjoying other people's kits

I also love driving. I can see a big reduction in car use coming so have decided to embrace this and hopefully not let it reduce my playing

I have been pleasantly surprised by the little kit and am enjoying the convenience and new sounds
Sorry Ken, didn’t mean to rain on your new kit with my post. And I get why you’re doing it. I’m feeling gravity’s pull my own self. Looks like a very cool and fun kit. And I do love the idea of short stack toms, especially the rack.

Sounds like you no longer have it. Why did you move on?
Oh I never had one, I dove into the world of these micro kits after this one was discontinued so I never had a chance to pay around with one. I have owned the Tama cocktail jam, the Tama club jam mini, the pearl midtown, and the Ludwig breakbeats however.

Sorry Ken, didn’t mean to rain on your new kit with my post. And I get why you’re doing it. I’m feeling gravity’s pull my own self. Looks like a very cool and fun kit. And I do love the idea of short stack toms, especially the rack.
No rain at all I'm surprised at how happy I am with it. Im guessing it's the low frequencies you don't want to lose, your a bassist first right?

Over time my needs and drivers have shifted. 20 years of land management have taught me to minimise weight carried and reduce risk. This is mostly about removing barriers to playing gigs tho like increased cost and time of porterage

that is a dramatic difference in the back of the car there.. amazing.

No rain at all I'm surprised at how happy I am with it. Im guessing it's the low frequencies you don't want to lose, your a bassist first right?

Over time my needs and drivers have shifted. 20 years of land management have taught me to minimise weight carried and reduce risk. This is mostly about removing barriers to playing gigs tho like increased cost and time of porterage
I’m telling you, with all this packing I’ve been doing, minimizing weight is a good thing. Glad I sold the SVT rigs ;)

And yes, I am a bassist first, but I’m not looking for sub lows out of my bass drums ;) I had that with the cheap Ddrum set I had 22 x 20 and my brains were swimming. But I do like a good solid low pitch. However, I’ve worked with plenty of drummers who use 18s and 16s and I think they sound great and it’s never once bothered me, so maybe I should reconsider my firm stance on nothing smaller than a 20.

I just can’t get on with bass drums smaller than 20” - I have tried every conceivable nesting kit with the Whitney Nesting Penguin being the best combination of logistics and sound . I made the
Mistake of selling that kit to help finance the purchase of another .
Since that time I have tried to find a kit that has my parameters - 20” bass , extremely lightweight , sounds excellent and looks good (to me ) . Now this is for a specific purpose kit - rehearsals , small stages , challenging load ins and the occasional outdoor gig . The kit that ticked off all the boxes for me was at the INDe Drums booth at the Chicago Vintage drum booth . The Aluminum Wayfarer kit in 20/12/15 config. All the drums fit in two bags (20 x 14 bass bag for the bass and 5” snare - 16” floor tom bag for the rack and floor with a Beato bags padded separator .

IMG_0753.jpeg

Real estate is a little cheaper in your part of western NC lol. Especially prior to like 2020 or so, when did you buy your house?

Bought it in 2013. We refinanced a couple of years ago when interest rates got really stupid-low. It knocked about 7 years off of our mortgage and saved thousands in interest.

I been up and down and over and round and I know one thing.
I've tried the 16" bass thing even the 18" bass
gotta work too hard
or not low enough
So 20/12/14 or 20/12/16
just like 1974

and that too will remain till I'm outta here
around 2046

I was expecting to see the drums on an E-Bike.
20/12/14 for this guy when I have a small footprint stage. I've done the 16's and 18's and they just don't give me the sound I want. Small floors (13 or 14's) and a popcorn snare to round out the smallness.
I'd love to get a Yamaha Hip Gig if nothing else but the portability of it.

been so long, "I don't even -remember- what 22's- sound like...."
and I'm ok with that 😁
20's the sweet spot in a small group and that's all I'm interested in
I don't like traveling far..

Last edited:

Attachments

• Noonan1.jpg
    Noonan1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Noonan2.jpg
    Noonan2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 13
Mmmm very tidy looking and a handsome veneer.I imagine they nest nicely

You have two snare cases?
Do you know what the bass case weighs?
Thankyou - Keller Mahogany/Poplar shells (Wax Finish), no re-rings.
(Just the reinforcing ring at the join.) - 10x8,14x12 ft,18x14 BD

The top case on the cart is for a Bodhran/Small Percussion.
So in reality, just for the drumkit, it would be 1 less in height.

Bass case is approx. 35lbs (1.6mm Tom hoops save the most weight)

Mick

Attachments

• Noonan3.jpg
    Noonan3.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Man, I can't go that small.

When I need to downsize, I ditch the 14x14 and my second crash. I also stack a 13x3 snare in the 16" floor toms bag.

22x14 is easy to pack and pretty compact on stage.

But I also play heavier music that's sometimes not mic'd up, and I need the cut :ROFLMAO:

As long as you get stuff done, then all is good.

I wanted to ask in this thread about the Tama Cocktail Club Jam specifically. I have a buddy who has one that I can get for a steal, but have never had any experience with it.
I was curious of those here that have, what you thought of it? I love the idea & having one for rehearsal space, ease of travel etc. and that's the main drive for getting it.

Back