Playing without a kick

pcnnrs

I have a set of Zildjian hats and a Yamaha snare. My question is can I get by with this minimalist setup?

How about giving us some more information. Like, what kind of music are you playing?

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't play anything anywhere without a bass drum.

Yeah I mean Art Taylor talked about gigs at tiny nightclubs where they wouldn’t allow a kit at all and the drummer had to play brushes on a folded newspaper. I have played on a wooden chair, not to mention the classic plastic bucket. The world is your teeny tiny oyster.

What kind of floor will you be playing on?.....stompable?
Put a mic by your foot......and amplifly the size 11 stomp.....and add some low end.
Or....just bring a BD.

The bass drum is, to me, an essential part of the drummer's arsenal. Or, you could get one of those electric foot stomp boxes, but then, you'll have to electrify it. Just bring your bass drum.

If you're feeling it, I say go for it! I delight in playing with a snare and ride (or two), so why not? Get out there and try it out. Bass players might really like it as a change of pace

You don’t have to look any farther than some of the roaming jazz groups playing at Disneyland. It’s possible to swing a band with just a snare drum. You just have to have technique and musicality. In fact, I did this here at my dads funeral with some Disney guys who were glad to come out:

Performing at your Dad's funeral has got to be one of the most cherished gig memories you've ever had.

My Dad was former US Army. When he died, I was a US Army Reserve officer. I was in charge of the military portion of the grave side service, presenting the folded flag to my Mom. Very cool experience.

As for playing without a kick drum... Much depends on the venue, type of music and expectation of the band. I've done it before with just hand percussion for light, unplugged gigs. I've also augmented a band's drummer by doing solely hand percussion. For the vast majority of gigging, a bass drum is a must for me, especially for Rock, Pop and Country. Without the bass drum, it's just empty.

You can lead a band with just a snare, hats are a an added luxury! Done lots of little acoustic gigs on just a snare.

Obviously when things start getting plugged into amps that all changes

That's really cool Dutch. What kind of music were you playing?
A mix really: we’d do some Van Morrison, James Taylor etc but basically would adjust any song we’d like to play to an arrangement that would suit us. To the point that we’d play Duran Duran’s Rio with the gear we had. Always fun and always to great audience response (even if it were only a single dog walker)..

A mix really: we’d do some Van Morrison, James Taylor etc but basically would adjust any song we’d like to play to an arrangement that would suit us. To the point that we’d play Duran Duran’s Rio with the gear we had. Always fun and always to great audience response (even if it were only a single dog walker)..
Very cool.

I was going to make a Joke then remembered Willie Nelson's drummer
and refrained

Last edited:
You don’t have to look any farther than some of the roaming jazz groups playing at Disneyland. It’s possible to swing a band with just a snare drum. You just have to have technique and musicality. In fact, I did this here at my dads funeral with some Disney guys who were glad to come out:

That was the best I ever heard here

Back