DW Customer Service

o my gawed.

Sorry to be the odd man out and seemingly insensitive to your situation but with some sparkles I like the fade such as yours. I can see it in my minds eye and it sounds actually nice. From silver to copperish. It sounds like a great aged jazz kit. Is say have fun with your new kit!.

I have been very disappointed with DW customer service of late. I have a 5 year old Performance kit in Titanium (Silver) Sparkle which over the last 12 months after being stored in a centrally heated house in 'Hardcase' cases have turned to a copper sparkle. Emailing DW direct resulted in them saying that as the kit is out of warranty there is nothing they could do, not even an explanation as to why this has happened or indeed why they have now discontinued this finish. I would have expected this to happen to vintage drums, but not a high-end manufacturer such as DW to a kit that is just 5 years old. I came away with the impression that once they have your money they are no longer interested. I will certainly be thinking twice when it comes to purchasing another kit as to whether I will continue with DW.

Anyone else had similar problems?
Wraps can be unpredictable. It's plastic. Some of them discolor or split. It's not DW's fault. They buy their wrap from a company like Delmar. I would find out who made your wrap and contact that company for an explanation.

There could be any number of reasons why the wrap discolored. The wrap on my older DW set has splits on two drums, but the splits are in places where the audience can't see them, so I'm not crazed about it. When I mentioned it to my DW artist relations rep, he said he was sorry to hear it, but they no longer stock that wrap (Ultra Oyster White). Of course, the set is over twenty years old, and I think this particular wrap has a tendency to split after time anyway. It happens. I'm just glad it split out of audience view.

Last edited:
It sounds like a chemical reaction from being in the cases, I know that the 1st Generation Silver Sparkle Gretsch Catalina Elite kits (the 18" Bass drum kits with the center mounted "Club Date" style lugs and solid wood hoops with no inlay) were known for doing this as well. A local guy that had a set of the Catalinas said he kept them in a closet in soft cases with no natural sunlight and they turned from Silver Sparkle to Ginger Ale. I wonder if it's the same wrap DW used? Maybe silver sparkle is more prone to this?

Try removing a lug and see if the wrap turned color under the lug as well. If so, it's not sunlight/UV light, beause light can't get under a lug!

I'm guessing a chemical reaction from the cases. As an experiment, try a "junk drum" with wrap and leave it one of the cases for awhile and see if it changes at all.

It sounds like a chemical reaction from being in the cases, I know that the 1st Generation Silver Sparkle Gretsch Catalina Elite kits (the 18" Bass drum kits with the center mounted "Club Date" style lugs and solid wood hoops with no inlay) were known for doing this as well. A local guy that had a set of the Catalinas said he kept them in a closet in soft cases with no natural sunlight and they turned from Silver Sparkle to Ginger Ale. I wonder if it's the same wrap DW used? Maybe silver sparkle is more prone to this?

Try removing a lug and see if the wrap turned color under the lug as well. If so, it's not sunlight/UV light, beause light can't get under a lug!

I'm guessing a chemical reaction from the cases. As an experiment, try a "junk drum" with wrap and leave it one of the cases for awhile and see if it changes at all.
OP is also from the UK, which an usually brutal summer if I recall. I also understand not a lot of houses in the UK have air conditioning, so depending on where they were stored (like an attic, or some old built in closet) they could have been cooking for a while. Several kinds of plastics and glues and heat in an enclosed space.

One of my Collectors snares had a defective 3-P Butt that wouldn't adjust smoothly.
I called them up, told them, and I had a replacement in my mailbox in 5 days from my call.

I sure don’t feel like the DW drums I own were a waste of money. They do what I need them to do, reliably and attractively. Man, what a bummer “surprise” for the OP to open up cases and see discoloration on his drums. Hope you can find a satisfactory solution, OP. 🙏🏻

Sorry to be the odd man out and seemingly insensitive to your situation but with some sparkles I like the fade such as yours. I can see it in my minds eye and it sounds actually nice. From silver to copperish. It sounds like a great aged jazz kit. Is say have fun with your new kit!.
I was also thinking the color description sounds kinda nice.

Moral of the story...don't buy wrapped drums, but if you do, do not store them in cases lined with foam.

I have been very disappointed with DW customer service of late. I have a 5 year old Performance kit in Titanium (Silver) Sparkle which over the last 12 months after being stored in a centrally heated house in 'Hardcase' cases have turned to a copper sparkle. Emailing DW direct resulted in them saying that as the kit is out of warranty there is nothing they could do, not even an explanation as to why this has happened or indeed why they have now discontinued this finish. I would have expected this to happen to vintage drums, but not a high-end manufacturer such as DW to a kit that is just 5 years old. I came away with the impression that once they have your money they are no longer interested. I will certainly be thinking twice when it comes to purchasing another kit as to whether I will continue with DW.

Anyone else had similar problems?
😳 I have a 5 year old Performance series kit in Titanium silver sparkle... I'm playing it in my profile photo.....it's been in cases for over a year because I've had my Starclassics set up....tomorrow I'll crack them open and take a look. Let's compare photos to see if the color is different!!! Here they were about 15 months ago. I'll take a close-up of one of them tomorrow 🙏20211022_134707.jpg

Last edited:
😳 I have a 5 year old Performance series kit in Titanium silver sparkle... I'm playing it in my profile photo.....it's been in cases for over a year because I've had my Starclassics set up....tomorrow I'll crack them open and take a look. Let's compare photos to see if the color is different!!! Here they were about 15 months ago. I'll take a close-up of one of them tomorrow 🙏View attachment 130100
That is a sweet looking drum set.

That is a sweet looking drum set.
Thank you!!!! I drove from Las Vegas to N. Carolina to pick these up, then set them up on the crossroads in Mississippi, from the movie Crossroads, on the way back and played them for the first time. I never let a good drumming ritual opportunity pass me by 🤘👿🤘

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204_115732_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_115732_Instagram.jpg
    738.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20230204_115748_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_115748_Instagram.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20230204_115817_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_115817_Instagram.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 11
  • large_jvrrRRsyRy3VEroRdwdA02djluK.jpeg
    large_jvrrRRsyRy3VEroRdwdA02djluK.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 14
Thank you!!!! I drove from Las Vegas to N. Carolina to pick these up, then set them up on the crossroads in Mississippi, from the movie Crossroads, on the way back and played them for the first time. I never let a good drumming ritual opportunity pass me by 🤘👿🤘
That's awesome. I've seen the movie (on VHS no less) and totally get it. A top ten road trip for sure.

I empathize with the OP even more now. That's a dynamite finish. Some photos would be good so that the extent of the damage could be seen.

Name's Ian by the way
Name does not check out.

Maya Rudolph Judging You GIF by Saturday Night Live

o.k., that is freaking awesome!!!
Would've really been awesome if Legba would have shown up, or even the wise ass in the car... :ROFLMAO: However, hover over my picture of the crossroads movie poster and it shows the size is 66.6 kb o_O
That's awesome. I've seen the movie (on VHS no less) and totally get it. A top ten road trip for sure.

I empathize with the OP even more now. That's a dynamite finish. Some photos would be good so that the extent of the damage could be seen.
VHS! Yeah, I want to see what he's talking about because now that it's in my head I feel like I'm seeing a copper tint in mine too and I'm hoping it's just the power of suggestion lol.

Back