What happens if i take the wraps off my drums.

imjustvibin

I wanted to give my drums that nice wood look, so i took off the wrap and stained the wood on my small tom. It is still drying and i am testing it out tomorrow. I realized that it is no longer under warranty, so if it is damaged thats on me. If i were to take the wraps off all my drums, would they be damaged easily? Such as the weight from the rack toms weighing on the kick drum. I want to make sure so if i need to i can just switch back to wraps.

You should experience no abnormal problems. People de-wrap drums all the time. And they've been doing it for decades.

i forgot to add, it is poplar if that makes a difference, i just really need to make sure because it will be off warranty once i dewrap

Nothing adverse will happen to your drums. Hopefully you were able to remove the wrap without taking any of the wood with it however, or causing splintering. Lets see a photo of your handy work. Here's a before and after of a kit I did the same thing to.

Attachments

• project 1.jpg
    project 1.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 66
  • restore 2 002.jpg
    restore 2 002.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 70
  • restore 4 005.jpg
    restore 4 005.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 69
Wrap does, of course, serve as a barrier between wood and the elements. Also, I would surmise that removing wrap might alter a drum's resonance somewhat, producing a more open sound, perhaps. Beyond those factors, I wouldn't anticipate any substantive changes.

I ruined a bass drum once by peeling a wrap off without using a heat gun. It splintered the outside ply of mahogany :-(

Kind of a tangent but, my cat lives in the garage with my drums. I feel like he'd climb on the bass drum more. I saw a set of little scratches that look like he slid off and never tried to again. With bare wood he would probably be able to use his claws and mess it up, looks wise.

I ruined a bass drum once by peeling a wrap off without using a heat gun. It splintered the outside ply of mahogany :-(

Yes, the process definitely takes time and care. . .and HEAT. Do NOT get in a hurry. I had some mild splintering pulling wrap off of vintage 80s Tamas. That luan, yeeeesh. Fugly

Of course, there are lots of beautiful wood wraps out there. Just in case.

Or veneers. That is if the OP has the skills to apply them. It looks nightmarish, and I like doing stuff like that. But you can't deny the end result.

I wanted to give my drums that nice wood look, so i took off the wrap and stained the wood on my small tom. It is still drying and i am testing it out tomorrow. I realized that it is no longer under warranty, so if it is damaged thats on me. If i were to take the wraps off all my drums, would they be damaged easily? Such as the weight from the rack toms weighing on the kick drum. I want to make sure so if i need to i can just switch back to wraps.

What do you mean about the weight of the rack toms weighing on the kick drum? Wouldn't the rack toms weigh less without the wrap? I'm guessing that wrap is merely aesthetic and not structural. Or did you mean something else when you mentioned weight?

Started to say veneers, but those require skill and experience. But that's how I would do it, too.

I've watched numerous videos on how to do it. I will attempt it with a junk drum someday. I don't expect good results!

I've watched numerous videos on how to do it. I will attempt it with a junk drum someday. I don't expect good results!

I would have to go back and search for it, but one young guy on YouTube used a vacuum suction bag that you'd keep linens in after he did the veneer application. It worked really well for him. Veneer work looks like it takes a considerable amount of prep work. Which was also shown in the video. I'll look for it. This is a decent vid for veneer wrapping a drum. Can't find the one I'm looking for yet.

Here we go. . . .

I would have to go back and search for it, but one young guy on YouTube used a vacuum suction bag that you'd keep linens in after he did the veneer application. It worked really well for him. Veneer work looks like it takes a considerable amount of prep work. Which was also shown in the video. I'll look for it. This is a decent vid for veneer wrapping a drum. Can't find the one I'm looking for yet.

Oh yeah, I've watched the vacuum bag guy a few times. It's not a bad idea. It's everything to get to that point that looks unpleasant.

Oh yeah, I've watched the vacuum bag guy a few times. It's not a bad idea. It's everything to get to that point that looks unpleasant.

Right!! Yeah, hooking up the vac to a bag is definitely the easy part. ;) I'm currently working on a Champagne Drums birch shell with a vertical grain bubinga veneer that was installed by Champagne. Can't wait to post up the finished product.

If you watch the first video, I think that kid does a great job of preparing the veneer. And even though his is a 2 part veneer, it still looks considerably easier in the first vid. Not so tedious anyway.

Nothing adverse will happen to your drums. Hopefully you were able to remove the wrap without taking any of the wood with it however, or causing splintering. Lets see a photo of your handy work. Here's a before and after of a kit I did the same thing to.

WOW! They look great without the wraps. The natural wood looks cool. What kind of wood are your drums made of? Peace.

Back