What do you do...

Is the correct answer you slay them and them eat them with Fava beans and a good Chianti? And "Is that wrong"? (in my best Danforth Buster Keeton III/ JT Walsh voice ala Needfull things). LOL. Now if you just fire the offending guitarist-what good does that do-they live to offend others. I say like Barney Fife Nip it in the Bud-excommunicado-and remember taste just like chicken ROFL.

reverse the polarity on the back of their amp, right after sound check

It's all about what I can tolerate. It's not my band, so there's not much I can do to push back. They won't upgrade anything.

My in-ear is from the mains, because the board is ancient with only 1 monitor output that only has vocals, which is not enough. In the main mix I hear what the audience hears. The singer has 2 floor monitors which blare vocals at my kit too, which overrides my in-ear.

The vocals are too hot all the time. So I have to crank my cheap in-ear too high just to hear the guitar. The bass player tells the guitar player he's too loud. *sigh

Replacing ancient gear would make it so much better. It won't be with this band. Unless I pay for it all.

Last edited:
reverse the polarity on the back of their amp, right after sound check
Brutal. Let's change the ohms on the amp also if possible.

Take the handle off the cabinet and unplug all the woofers. Put the handle back on.

Turn all the knobs to 0 and remove them.

Take the tires off his car, put them under the car, set the car down on top of them. Steal the jack.

Brutal. Let's change the ohms on the amp also if possible.

Take the handle off the cabinet and unplug all the woofers. Put the handle back on.

Turn all the knobs to 0 and remove them.

Take the tires off his car, put them under the car, set the car down on top of them. Steal the jack.

we actually used to do this to our guit player in my high school band b/c he was so loud.

it started as a prank, but ended up being a thing sometimes

There's no need for anyone to be using an amp more than 30w on stage it just kills everything and everyone and nobody likes a volume war.
Word! I sat in with some guys a few months back and this was the rig for the lead player. Smallest little amps I ever saw. Plenty loud and sounded wonderful.

IMG_3793.JPG

Word! I sat in with some guys a few months back and this was the rig for the lead player. Smallest little amps I ever saw. Plenty loud and sounded wonderful.
Played a festival a couple of weeks back. Our guitarist used a 1x10 combo which he setup facing himself doubled up as an on stage monitor. Mic'ed up it sounded great when we heard recordings back.

Bass is even better. Other than hearing yourself on stage send a D.I. signal out

We DI out, but still have a 4x10" cab on top of a single 15". ???

If I were the bass player, I'm buying a couple of single 10" cabinets for my rig. The SVT 6x10 I already own stays home. It was just 150 bucks.

Happened in one of my bands. Guitarist was repeatedly told to turn down. He was so loud, the singer couldn't hear himself and it was throwing him off key at shows. Guitarist argued he wasn't loud (he was deaf, so he didn't believe us). The guitarist was fired.
That was the situation in my band too. Only difference the guitarist and the singer are the same guy lol
He has been working hard at it and is coming along great. Now I have to watch my own excitement and volume! Hooray

Its so uncomfortable to talk with people about the negative aspects of interpersonal issues.

I think that, in most cases, its to late once an incident occurs (like this).

Gotta have the conversation about having difficult conversations up front...kinda like codifying basic work ethic/practices.

Would be great if we could assume everyone has the basics of constructively working out conflicts and applying 'work' type ethic...but it seems rare amongst the music projects I have been in.

We DI out, but still have a 4x10" cab on top of a single 15". ???

If I were the bass player, I'm buying a couple of single 10" cabinets for my rig. The SVT 6x10 I already own stays home. It was just 150 bucks.

i use sort of the same rig for my metal band: Avatar neoB4x10 on top of a homemade 2x15. i prefer to use just the 4x10, but our guit player "doesn't like the look". So I am like, "if you carry it in, I will play through it"

with her stage volume, I can barely hear it as it is...

I've got this currently, one of our guitarists has little awareness of his volume at times.

I've spoken to him about it in the past and the issue is most of the band think it's ok as they like playing loud, whereby I like looking after my hearing and not pissing off the audience, so it wasn't really addressed given it was a 4 vs 1 type situation.

We even had a sound engineer come and see a rehearsal so we can get an independent opinion to try and force the point. The first thing he said after listening to one song was "First of all the guitars are way too loud, they are actually drowning out the drums. They need to come down"

My 'shocked' reaction as below

IMG_1087.JPG

The thing with our band it's not an ego thing as he's a really nice guy, I'd put it simply down to inexperience and he's not sorted his effect levels correctly, which is then making our second guitarist turn up. So it's fine with gentle chats and nods about the songs in question to him and them both during rehearsals and gigs, when my ears are screaming from the amp volume.

He's a nice guy and I like him so I don't want to be an arse about the matter as it feels unintentional. Hoping it'll sink in at some point, could see the bass player looking at him like "wtf?" last night during one of the songs in question though.

Last edited:
we hit 127dB at the max in practice tonight

in a rectangle 15'x40' basement.. we do have studio quality sound baffling and other stuff up

I wear pistol range headphones during practice...thank god

It's funny to read that so many of you have been through this. From the outside people probably think that drummers are more notorious for this behaviour but I wonder if it's guitarists/bassists since all they have to do is tweak their little knob (and we have to work extra hard to play louder).

If it bothers just you, quit the band.
If it bothers other memebers too, fire the guy.

we hit 127dB at the max in practice tonight

in a rectangle 15'x40' basement.. we do have studio quality sound baffling and other stuff up

I wear pistol range headphones during practice...thank god
At extreme volumes there comes a point where I cant hear anything anymore without earplugs. It turns into a big mush and is like being underwater.

Do y'all have that one guy who just won't use hearing protection?

My ears are bothering me just thinking about this.

Back