What are the first 3 memorable rock concerts you attended?

I would've loved seeing Slade in their prime! I recently read Don Powell's bio, very good.
I remember the FOH volume was insanely high - great energy gig though!

All 3 are awesome
Indeed, and each for different reasons.

Rainbow with Cozy Powell as drummer? Man, wish i could see him live but sadly died before i even started drumming and got to "know" him.
This was the lineup too - Blackmore, Powell, Dio, Bain, & Carey.

I've got 4
The Beatles with Ike & Tina and Bill Black Combo 1964 Indianoplace (the screaming drowned out the Beatles music)
The Mothers of Invention & Babatunde Olatunji 1967 Boston (I'd never heard of either, uh huh)
Jimi Hendrix & Chicago Transit Authority 1969 Indy (hadn't heard of Chicago before)
The Allman Brothers and Ramsey Lewis Trio 1972 Lafayette, Indiana (at the end of the show, RLT joined the bros for a long jam,Berry Oakley on bass)
but then there was Beach Boys, Stones, Standells and the Tradewinds in Indy '65 ish

Last edited:
I know I attended concerts but TBH I don't have much recollection of but a few. Usually it was a good drive to Jacksonville or somewhere in Florida, to Macon Ga, to Atlanta Ga. I remember the drive and people and good time-but it all gambols together as people, energy, music and a mind altering experience in the concerts-like a sensory overload and spiritual experience. Everything seemed mystical to me at that young age-course likely a good reason why LOL.
Probably had something to do with the greens haha. 70’s-80’s rock concerts were an anomaly since all laws about weed were checked at the door and once inside and the lights went down it was a free for all. Js the size of swisher sweets. My only regret is not seeing the Great Gonzo during that period.

I've been to well over 100 concerts since the 1970's here are the 3 most memorable ones.

1. Rush - Moving Pictures tour 1981
2. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son tour 1988 w/opening act Guns N Roses
3. Aerosmith - Rocks tour 1976(?)

Honorable mentions: The Police - Reunion tour 2007, Roger Waters' The Wall 2010, Jethro Tull - Aqualung 1972, Van Halen - 5150 tour 1986, Kiss - Destroyer tour 1976, Dio/Motorhead/Iron Maiden 2005, Metallica - Hardwired tour 2017
Excellent list

In the early 80s I went to see Billy Squire and the opening act was Def Leppard with Steve Clark on guitar. Excellent concert but Poor Billy, he couldn’t hold a candle to those Leppard guys.
Loved Billy Squire, that video of him dancing around like a fawn ruined his career. Def Leppard was awesome until pyro...dog eat dog.

I've been to well over 100 concerts since the 1970's here are the 3 most memorable ones.

1. Rush - Moving Pictures tour 1981
2. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son tour 1988 w/opening act Guns N Roses
3. Aerosmith - Rocks tour 1976(?)

Honorable mentions: The Police - Reunion tour 2007, Roger Waters' The Wall 2010, Jethro Tull - Aqualung 1972, Van Halen - 5150 tour 1986, Kiss - Destroyer tour 1976, Dio/Motorhead/Iron Maiden 2005, Metallica - Hardwired tour 2017
Awesome top 3, and your HM are amazing as runners up

The first three "memorable" ones:

Early 70's - Chicago w/Danny Seraphine (of course) and Terry Kath on guitar
1976 - Frank Zappa w/Terry Bozzio on drums
1978 - Santana w/Graham Lear, Armando Peraza, Orestes Vilato, and a young Raul Rekow!

And special mention in 1979 - Led Zeppelin. :)

off the beaten path here -

1. The Niagaras, 1992 - obscure local NYC band but that’s where I met my wife :)

2. Faith No More/Bobcock and the Yellow Socks (aka Primus), 1989

3. GWAR, 1990
Niagaras win for matchmaking

1976 Stevie Wonder opens for the Rolling Stones. Stevie played a solo on every instrument in the orchestra. Three encores later the crowd boos when he left the stage!

1970 Mountain opens for Steppenwolf, does 3 encores. Crowd boos Steppenwolf when they take the stage. Kay and company do one 25 minute set and storm off.

1970, free concert on UNC campus by Black Sabbath. My ears are still ringing.

I've got 4
The Beatles with Ike & Tina and Bill Black Combo 1964 Indianoplace (the screaming drowned out the Beatles music)
The Mothers of Invention & Babatunde Olatunji 1967 Boston (I'd never heard of either, uh huh)
Jimi Hendrix & Chicago Transit Authority 1969 Indy (hadn't heard of Chicago before)
The Allman Brothers and Ramsey Lewis Trio 1972 Lafayette, Indiana (at the end of the show, RLT joined the bros for a long jam,Berry Oakley on bass)
but then there was Beach Boys, Stones, Standells and the Tradewinds in Indy '65 ish

I think you win!!!

pretty epic

The first three "memorable" ones:

Early 70's - Chicago w/Danny Seraphine (of course) and Terry Kath on guitar
Mid 70's - Santana w/Graham Lear, Armando Peraza, Orestes Vilato, and a young Raul Rekow!
Frank Zappa w/Terry Bozzio on drums
[/QUOTE
Chicago!
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Elton John - Yellow Brick Road
Kansas - Leftoverture
would’ve loved to see Pink Floyd, did get to see sir Elton in ATL 1985. Kansas was great influence too their bass player lived 3 doors down from my dad in atlanta late 70’s and man he had some serious parties

well... first of all... screw all you guys for beeing older than me and having seen all These banger Legends that I wont ever be able to… Jokes aside, seriously Jealous!
This first one kinda Towers above all the other Concerts but it is not a fair match, so this one is out of the Competition:
Amon Amarth "Bloodshed over Bochum". it was a 4 day Event that ended on New Years eve, which we celebrated with the Band. They played one whole Album + some other Songs each night and hung out with the fans every night afterwards aswell. It was also the Event where I met my wife for the first time. (we where AA Forum dwellers before then, so we "knew" each other beforehand.)
So we have Shirts, a CD Set and a DVD Set from the Concerts we first met, so yeah… this ones goes to the top :D

as for the rest...

Roger Waters - "The Wall Tour" 2010
Rammstein - "Deutschland Tour" 2019
With Full Force Festival 2007 ( I know… not a concert, but this was my first Festival, we where a bunch of dudes, heavily unprepared for a week of Camping and it was one of the best experiences of my life) so it goes on the list. :D

some honorable mentions:
Metallica 2x
Iron Maiden
Slipknot 2x
Clutch

well... first of all... screw all you guys for beeing older than me and having seen all These banger Legends that I wont ever be able to… Jokes aside, seriously Jealous!
This first one kinda Towers above all the other Concerts but it is not a fair match, so this one is out of the Competition:
Amon Amarth "Bloodshed over Bochum". it was a 4 day Event that ended on New Years eve, which we celebrated with the Band. They played one whole Album + some other Songs each night and hung out with the fans every night afterwards aswell. It was also the Event where I met my wife for the first time. (we where AA Forum dwellers before then, so we "knew" each other beforehand.)
So we have Shirts, a CD Set and a DVD Set from the Concerts we first met, so yeah… this ones goes to the top :D

as for the rest...

Roger Waters - "The Wall Tour" 2010
Rammstein - "Deutschland Tour" 2019
With Full Force Festival 2007 ( I know… not a concert, but this was my first Festival, we where a bunch of dudes, heavily unprepared for a week of Camping and it was one of the best experiences of my life) so it goes on the list. :D

some honorable mentions:
Metallica 2x
Iron Maiden
Slipknot 2x
Clutch

and screw you for getting to do that stuff with Amon Amarth :) I love those guys!! Have been a fan since 97!!! And pretty cool that that whole setting was that influential in your life!! Must have been The Norns looking over the event....

friends of mine are planning a European Metalfest attendance as a bucket list thing....what would you suggest? We were thinking WAcken Open Air of course...but is there anything that is more "organic"? we are all Viking metal/ Melodic Death and thrash fans....

and screw you for getting to do that stuff with Amon Amarth :) I love those guys!! Have been a fan since 97!!! And pretty cool that that whole setting was that influential in your life!! Must have been The Norns looking over the event....

friends of mine are planning a European Metalfest attendance as a bucket list thing....what would you suggest? We were thinking WAcken Open Air of course...but is there anything that is more "organic"? we are all Viking metal/ Melodic Death and thrash fans....

Then I better not tell you all the other Things I did with or around those guys and the 28 Concerst Ive seen them at.

as for Festivals, there is a stupid amount of Festivals going around Germany and middle Europe in generall. Wacken I guess would be "the" Festival to go to (never been myself, ist too big for my personal taste)
Summer Breeze Open Air is one of my personal Favs, that I have attended a few times same for With Full Force and Rockharz Open Air.
I have a ton of Festivals Bookmarked at my personal PC at home. Over the Course of the weekened I will look a few up and link them in your direction. There are some good Pagan Festivals out there.

Back