What are the first 3 memorable rock concerts you attended?

The Doors, Beach Boys, Stones, Alice Cooper, Grand Funk Railroad, Charlie Daniels Band x 3, Canned Heat.
Not really rock, but good shows to take a woman too. - Marvin Gaye, Tower of Power. Earth, Wind, & Fire.
Free Concerts_ B.B. King x 2.
I was riding my Harley down some cobblestone streets near Brown University in Rhode Island in the late 70's and while at a STOP sign I heard music. I followed it and B.B. King was playing on a stage in a field between two property's. Everyone (mostly college students I assume) was sitting on the grass smoking weed and enjoying the day. There was a young black kid up on stage dancing his ass off. He was about 7 or 8 years old.

Damn, I forgot about one of the last Doobie Brothers concerts at Lion Country Safari in Irvine.

Last edited:
You have some awesome concert experiences! I know it’s hard to narrow down to 3. Should we assume that Metallica is 3 since you listed it first for the “tie”? :rolleyes: Jk
The biggest reason it was memorable is because it was the first show at Polaris using the lawn and the sod had not set. Metallica took the stage and people start ripping up the grass and throwing it. James Hetfield actually yelled at the crowd for finally getting a nice venue and f'ing it up. the other 2 listed in the tie and mostly because they were the first times I've seen each of them and I've seen both DMB and Phish over 25 times each.

Now that I think about it, I should probably also add/replace them with the time I drove all the way to Limestone, ME to go to a Phish festival in 2003.

The biggest reason it was memorable is because it was the first show at Polaris using the lawn and the sod had not set. Metallica took the stage and people start ripping up the grass and throwing it. James Hetfield actually yelled at the crowd for finally getting a nice venue and f'ing it up. the other 2 listed in the tie and mostly because they were the first times I've seen each of them and I've seen both DMB and Phish over 25 times each.
Awesome, people are so freaking crazy! I guess they were sodden but what could we expect. It’s actually amazing that JH gave the crowd a dressing down for misbehaving! ?

Awesome, people are so freaking crazy! I guess they were sodden but what could we expect. It’s actually amazing that JH gave the crowd a dressing down for misbehaving! ?
I think he was mad that they were getting hit by sod. They hadn't even finished the first song yet and it had made its way onto the stage from the lawn.

Now that I think about it, I should probably also add/replace them with the time I drove all the way to Limestone, ME to go to a Phish festival in 2003.

and it hurt to get hit by the pieces of sod....especially if you were not looking...people were throwing 2'x3' strips of it. Happened at many shows there...what a weird legacy to have. Also, the neighbors calling the cops on the concerts there...and I think at one Ozzfest, the back privacy fence got set on fire too....I think at the same Ozzfest either Ozzy or Iron Maiden also threatened to stop playing b/c of the sod throwing...

and it hurt to get hit by the pieces of sod....especially if you were not looking...people were throwing 2'x3' strips of it. Happened at many shows there...what a weird legacy to have. Also, the neighbors calling the cops on the concerts there...and I think at one Ozzfest, the back privacy fence got set on fire too....I think at the same Ozzfest either Ozzy or Iron Maiden also threatened to stop playing b/c of the sod throwing...
I wasn't there but if I remember right, I think they rioted and lit something on fire at Ozzfest one year because Ozzy canceled for being sick.

I wasn't there but if I remember right, I think they rioted and lit something on fire at Ozzfest one year because Ozzy canceled for being sick.

that's right...that is the only Ozzfest there I did not go to

Pink Floyd Division Bell tour at Earls Court, London in mid 1990s. (proper stadium rock spectacle)
Chick Corea Electric Band in early 90s in Glasgow. Got to see Weckl live and they were touring Beneath the Mask which was a great fusion record.
Four generations of miles at the iridium jazz club in New York. Jimmy Cobb on drums, Ron Carter (bass) and George Coleman (tenor saxophone). Around the mid 2000s.

The first three concerts I went to wouldn't be the most memorable ones I've seen.
1981 ish - Blue Oyster Cult/Aldo Nova
1981 ish - Ted Nugent/Donnie Iris
1982 ish - J Giels Band/David Johansen (pre Buster Poindexter)

Probably the three most memorable shows I've seen

90's sometime - Bruce Springsteen (the first full E Street Tour after his solo period)
mid 80's - Rush, Big Money Tour
early 80's - Talking Heads, Speaking In Tongues tour

***edit*** just remembered another very memorable one, I saw Ringo's All Star Band in 2018, what a show.

Last edited:
This'll be a bit of a deep cut for some of you, but I grew up in Wilmore, Ky, home of the Ichthus Music Festival during the heyday of Christian Rock in the late 90's/early 2000's. So all of my early memories of rock come from this festival. My first clear memory is seeing Audio Adrenaline closing out the final night, and they were joined on stage by the O.C. Supertones, both of which were some of the biggest names in Christian rock. Of course in college and as an adult, I've come to love a much broader depth of, but growing up in the midst of this festival was pivotal in shaping my musical identity.

My most memorable show however, was when I saw mewtihoutYou at the Mad Hatter in Covington, ky in 2007(?). We got there early and stood right in front of the stage as they performed one of my favorite albums of all time. It was amazing.

1. UFO Oct 1978, Chicago, Amphitheatre. recorded their live album. UFO fan forever after that show.
2. Ozzy/Motorhead 1981, Chicago, Aragon. This was with Randy Rhoads and MH Ace of Spades tour.
3. Rush 1979, Chicago, Comiskey park

lots of win here....

3. Rush 1979, Chicago, Comiskey park
I found the setlist for that. Wow what a treat that must have been!

I found the setlist for that. Wow what a treat that must have been!
So good... it was general admission so after waiting all night in line we got a spot 20 feet in front of the stage which made it so memorable. The White Sox had to postpone several games after that show because the outfield was trashed. There was sod being hurled all over the place.

So good... it was general admission so after waiting all night in line we got a spot 20 feet in front of the stage which made it so memorable. The White Sox had to postpone several games after that show because the outfield was trashed. There was sod being hurled all over the place.
Wow, the field was trashed at least twice that season! Remember Disco Demolition Night? That was held on July 12, 1979, and your Rush concert was on August 19, 1979. I was only 7 at the time, so I definitely wasn't there for either event, but it must of literally been a blast at the old Comiskey that summer! LOL!

The only actual rock concerts i ever went to was to see rush twice on the roll the bones tour.. and... i saw st paul and the broken bones a few years ago.. (i don't get out much)
Have seen Albert king, buddy guy... Tom Jones (3 years ago and he was amazing) CSN (we walked out 2 songs in it was so bad) umm BNL (one of the best concerts i went to, and ended up being recorded for their dvd)

I think that's every concert i have ever been too.. being a introvert that hates other humans makes going to concerts hard :)

The only actual rock concerts i ever went to was to see rush twice on the roll the bones tour.. and... i saw st paul and the broken bones a few years ago.. (i don't get out much)
Have seen Albert king, buddy guy... Tom Jones (3 years ago and he was amazing) CSN (we walked out 2 songs in it was so bad) umm BNL (one of the best concerts i went to, and ended up being recorded for their dvd)

I think that's every concert i have ever been too.. being a introvert that hates other humans makes going to concerts hard :)

saw Barenaked Ladies on the Maybe You Should Drive and Born On A Pirate Ship tours, and they were awesome....so much fun. This was before they were a pop group...got coated in mac and cheese. Got to meet, and hang with Tyler for a ling time...we mostly talked about drum corps and D&D....and his Ayotte drums

Wow, the field was trashed at least twice that season! Remember Disco Demolition Night? That was held on July 12, 1979, and your Rush concert was on August 19, 1979. I was only 7 at the time, so I definitely wasn't there for either event, but it must of literally been a blast at the old Comiskey that summer! LOL!
Yeah I remember Disco Demolition Night, it was crazy. I was watching TV that night and the networks cut in and showed all the chaos. More memories coming back to me on the Rush show, i was 16 and the other bands on the bill were Joan Jett, The Tubes and Foghat. Foghat was third on the bill and they were well received and were awesome. The other two bands didn't go over well with the crowd. Sod was flying over my head onto the stage. Joan Jett was pissed and made it through the set. She flipped the crowd off before leaving the stage. The Tubes didn't make it all the way through their set. The crowd cheered with success of getting rid of them. Funny at the time as a 16 year old but now that i've been on stage as a drummer, not so cool.

Yeah I remember Disco Demolition Night, it was crazy. I was watching TV that night and the networks cut in and showed all the chaos. More memories coming back to me on the Rush show, i was 16 and the other bands on the bill were Joan Jett, The Tubes and Foghat. Foghat was third on the bill and they were well received and were awesome. The other two bands didn't go over well with the crowd. Sod was flying over my head onto the stage. Joan Jett was pissed and made it through the set. She flipped the crowd off before leaving the stage. The Tubes didn't make it all the way through their set. The crowd cheered with success of getting rid of them. Funny at the time as a 16 year old but now that i've been on stage as a drummer, not so cool.

love Joan Jett...that is how she ended. most shows....she was my first "crush" as a kid....would have loved to have seen her and Rush together

Back