Tama Club Jam Mini Question: Floor Tom or Snare?

heroellis

Hi everyone,

I have a Tama Club Jam Mini that I really like but I'm thinking of getting either a floor tom or a larger and potentially deeper snare that I would use as a floor tom (larnell/sput type thing). The thing is I'm not really sure what size snare to get to be able to get a decent floor tom sound, but the 14 x 14 and 14 x 12 floor toms that I've tried (the sizes of which were the only floor toms I could find to buy by themselves) have been too loud and make the kick sound too quiet. Any suggestions?

Also, ideally I'd rather not spend more than $200, but I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks!

Ellis

Why not get a snare with a depth of 8"? That's deeper than any snare I'd ever need, but if you intend to use it mostly as a tom, it might suit your purposes quite well. If you want to spend under $200, explore the used market.

I have used a Tama 12x10 swingstar tom as a 'floor' tom in the past, it was small and slightly high pitched but it worked with that set up. A buddy of mine used to play modern extreme metal using a 22" bass, 12" high tom, 13" floor tom, and 10" snare, worked just fine. My current pearl midtown kit has a 13" floor tom that is surprisingly full and resonant, you can't tune it into that deep smack of a 16" but I tune higher anyway.

Back