Should I buy this snare I want but don’t need?

Should I buy this snare?

• Yes, it’s a great deal on a really nice snare

• No, you have plenty of nice snares already

Results are only viewable after voting.
Outlook update: It's increasingly apparent to me that you won't be at rest until landing this drum. If it's really eating away at you, get it and compare it to your other snares. You might determine that you no longer require the service of one of them. You can always sell a shell and return to a total of four. Regardless, if this model is gripping you more and more by the minute (which it is) and you can buy it without financial detriment (which you can), you might have no choice but to seal the deal.
Believe it or not, I’ve actually decided to pass on it. I can be totally waffling on things until I’ve made up my mind, but once I’ve made up my mind, that’s that.

Sorry to disappoint you all.

Believe it or not, I’ve actually decided to pass on it. I can be totally waffling on things until I’ve made up my mind, but once I’ve made up my mind, that’s that.

Not disappointed.. i'm happy for you... i buy stuff just cause i want it and it ends up on a corner... every time i see it "there is money wasted" now take that money and go buy something nice to drink and a good dinner:) have a great night.

Not disappointed TK, it’s all good my friend, I love a good thread fart!
However - will the poll be lingering?

Not disappointed TK, it’s all good my friend, I love a good thread fart!
However - will the poll be lingering?
I set the poll to expire in 3 days. So it won’t be lingering for long!

BTW, I’m in my studio right now, so I decided to put my 5.5x14 maple snare (the one in the crosshairs if I had decided to buy the bronze snare and sell one off), and I honestly tend to forget how good it sounds. I think earlier on I was struggling to get it to sound great to my ears, which is why it was mentally on the chopping block. But I’ve since dialed it in, and it’s sounded great ever since.

So no regrets on not going for bronze!

If you actually like any of the snares you currently have it's probably for the best of you don't add a bronze shell snare. Bronze tends to have a tone that makes any of the other shell materials seem a little less awesome in comparison.

As long as you aren't taking away money to pay the electric bill or feed your kids, I say get it. Except for the few people who are lucky enough to make their living playing drums, this is a hobby. Hobbies are healthy and positive aspects of how we pass the time between birth and death.
Go for it and enjoy it.

Well?...you can pass on it and have it bug you for weeks...OR you can get it and be thrilled with it. 5x14 bronze!?.. I had a 6.5x14 ludwig hammered bronze that sounded great but I sold it. Thee biggest mistake I've made..why! Do people do this. 5x14 in my mind is even better. The warmth from bronze and the CRACK! From the depth..but a WARM crack....just the way I like it. If you don't get it you'll end up sipping a brew one night and the OVERWHELMING thought to get it WILL push you over the cliff.
My 6.5 HH BZ is the only snare I have.

I think earlier on I was struggling to get it to sound great to my ears, which is why it was mentally on the chopping block.
When I’ve felt that way in the past, I try different things on the drum. New heads and/or different head design, different snappy, different hoops. Evans Genera batter saved one drum from the volcano pit.

When I’ve felt that way in the past, I try different things on the drum. New heads and/or different head design, different snappy, different hoops. Evans Genera batter saved one drum from the volcano pit.
I think the same way. That snare originally came with a coated Ambassador, which sounded good—especially cranked—but was maybe a little harsh sounding. Next came a CS coated white dot, which tamed the drum and sounded good at medium tunings, but sounded a little off when tuned higher. And this snare just feels like it wants to be higher pitched. Which is fine, because medium is where I tune most of my snares, so it‘s good to have something different. So back went on the coated Ambassador, but I quickly remembered why I took it off in the first place.

After looking though my stack of used heads, I found a CS coated clear dot in good condition. The clear dots are the thinnest of the three CS dots (black, white and clear), and sounds about halfway between the CS white dot and a coated Ambassador. That one did the trick, as it sounded great cranked up where the snare naturally wants to go, but it doesn’t sound harsh like the Ambassador. After finagling with the tuning for a while, I finally got it dialed in and it sounds great!

I’m very curious to try a Fiberskyn Ambassador on it, and I may at some point, but for now I’m pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
Your Jedi mind tricks won’t work on me, Mr. Wolf.

(Or will they?)
Ha! What @Winston_Wolf is really saying is that bronze snares rule and all other materials fall short by comparison. Hence, you're lucky, in a sour-grapes spirit, for not having a bronze snare, because you'd never settle for anything else after trying one. Consequently, your longing for a bronze snare will only intensify. It's now a forbidden shell material with bewitching allure.

Glad I'm a wood-snare-only player. I'd hate to get swept up by the swell of the bronze tsunami.

This thread is becoming downright Freudian. We need to introduce some dream analysis.

Ha! What @Winston_Wolf is really saying is that bronze snares rule and all other materials fall short by comparison. Hence, you're lucky, in a sour-grapes spirit, for not having a bronze snare, because you'd never settle for anything else after trying one. Consequently, your longing for a bronze snare will only intensify. It's now a forbidden shell material with bewitching allure.

Glad I'm a wood-snare-only player. I'd hate to get swept up by the swell of the bronze tsunami.

This thread is becoming downright Freudian. We need to introduce some dream analysis.
I understood clearly what the Wolfman was saying. It was a clumsy attempt at reverse psychology designed to get me to change my mind and buy the bronze. Your last post was also a clumsy attempt at reverse psychology. But I’m on to you tricksters!

I’m not saying it didn’t work, because I really want to play it. But I think my desire at the moment is to play it, not shell out a small stack of bills to buy it.

If I do change my mind (I won’t), you’ll be the first to know.

Slight update.

No, I didn't buy that bronze snare, and it looks like it's still for sale. But since I didn't spend $400 on that snare and case, I decided to spend $25 on a new head for my 5.5x14 Gretsch Gold Series Special Edition Maple Snare (aka the one I was originally contemplating selling to make room for the bronze).

As I previously mentioned, I was able to get my Gold Series snare to sound really good with a Remo CS coated clear dot. But I got it in my head a few months ago that a FiberSkyn Ambassador might sound fantastic on this particular snare. However I hate wasting money on things I don't need (which is why I ultimately decided against the bronze snare), so I had been putting off trying the FiberSkyn until it was time for a head replacement. But since I passed on that other snare, I figured why not?

So I bought a FiberSkyn Ambassador last weekend and put it on. And while it seems to be a bit more finicky to get dialed in, I did eventually dial in the tuning. And my snare sounds fantastic now!!! The FiberSkyn brought some much needed warmth to this snare, plus a bit of roundness to the tone and a slightly mellower attack. And that seemed to do the trick, because now I'm FINALLY super happy with it!

So no need for the bronze. Instead I'm happier than ever with gold... my Gold Series maple snare!

fullsizeoutput_189a.jpeg

Last edited:
Slight update.

No, I didn't buy that bronze snare, and it looks like it's still for sale. But since I didn't spend $400 on that snare and case, I decided to spend $25 on a new head for my 5.5x14 Gretsch Gold Series Special Edition Maple Snare (aka the one I was originally contemplating selling to make room for the bronze).

As I previously mentioned, I was able to get my Gold Series snare to sound really good with a Remo CS coated clear dot. But I got it in my head a few months ago that a FiberSkyn Ambassador might sound fantastic on this particular snare. However I hate wasting money on things I don't need (which is why I ultimately decided against the bronze snare), so I had been putting off trying the FiberSkyn until it was time for a head replacement. But since I passed on that other snare, I figured why not?

So I bought a FiberSkyn Ambassador last weekend and put it on. And while it seems to be a bit more finicky, making it harder to get it dialed in, I did eventually nail the tuning. And my snare sounds fantastic now!!! The FiberSkyn brought some much needed warmth to that snare, plus a bit of roundness to the tone and a slightly mellower attack. And that seemed to do the trick, because now I'm FINALLY super happy with it!

So no need for the bronze. Instead I'm happier than ever with my maple snare!

View attachment 106733
Glad you've brought your maple up to speed. It's always a pleasure to find renewed contentment in a drum. The FiberSkyn looks great on that shell -- quite classic, really. You're ready for a speakeasy gig. Be sure to hide your flask beneath your floor tom.

That's great :) I'm gonna have to try one of those heads
I love FiberSkyns as bass drum reso heads, but this is the first time I've tried one as a batter head. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I really like it thus far. And now after playing on it for a few days, something I wasn't expecting: there's nary a stick mark showing. In fact, it still looks so new, I could probably return it if I wanted to. And I'm not a light hitter!

One of my initial concerns was how long the fiber "coating" would last. But as of now, it no longer seems to be a concern.

So no need for the bronze. Instead I'm happier than ever with gold... my Gold Series maple snare!

fullsizeoutput_189a.jpeg
That is a beautiful drum.

I love FiberSkyns as bass drum reso heads, but this is the first time I've tried one as a batter head. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I really like it thus far. And now after playing on it for a few days, something I wasn't expecting: there's nary a stick mark showing. In fact, it still looks so new, I could probably return it if I wanted to. And I'm not a light hitter!
Is a FiberSkyn still a mylar head or something else?

That is a beautiful drum.
Thank you! If you're interested, here's a link to the thread I created when I bought the snare.

Is a FiberSkyn still a mylar head or something else?
The base is mylar with with some sort of spun fiber material added on top to create the calfskin look and feel. However I don't know what material the fiber is made out of.

First, congrats on passing if you didn't think it was the right decision. Sometimes, if a person wants something, has the money, and can get it at a good price, that person doesn't always need to indulge. No matter what we all have, there's always gonna be something else out there.

How would you say a fiberskin sounds on snare as compared with a Remo Ambassador coated?

First, congrats on passing if you didn't think it was the right decision. Sometimes, if a person wants something, has the money, and can get it at a good price, that person doesn't always need to indulge. No matter what we all have, there's always gonna be something else out there.

How would you say a fiberskin sounds on snare as compared with a Remo Ambassador coated?
Thanks PorkPieGuy. Trust me, I was very, VERY tempted to buy that bronze snare. But I just couldn‘t get over the fact that I couldn’t think of a good use for it. That’s mainly because I’m so happy with my main studio snare, the black nickel Brooklyn. So in my mind, had I bought the bronze, I would have played it in the studio for a couple weeks, then I’d switch back to the Brooklyn and the bronze would sit in a corner except for rare occasions. Once that solidified as my vision for that snare, it became much easier to pass on it.

As for the FiberSkyn Ambassador, it definitely sounds warmer and “rounder” (for lack of a better term) than a coated Ambassador. It also offers a slightly mellower attack. So where a coated Ambassador sounds bright and crisp, a FiberSkyn Ambassador sounds warmer and mellower. But it also had more overtones than I was expecting, so I added a small piece of moon gel to keep them in check. However I really like these overtones more than what I was getting on my coated heads, as the coated heads imparted more high pitched, harsher sounding overtones, while the FiberSkyn‘s overtones are lower pitched and mellower. I’m loving the way my maple snare sounds now.

Back