Post your Gig Pics

What are the dimension of you kick drum?
BTW, I have the same rug.... came from Home Depot - which is at least across the street from Guitar Center.

Kick is 10x20. Very useful little piece. I mic it from the batter side. That rug is great, right? I love the ribbed pattern on it (gonna skip the poor taste condom joke 🤣). Gives the spurs a little something extra to hold onto.

What are the dimension of you kick drum?
BTW, I have the same rug.... came from Home Depot - which is at least across the street from Guitar Center.
Kick is 10x20. Very useful little piece. I mic it from the batter side. That rug is great, right? I love the ribbed pattern on it (gonna skip the poor taste condom joke 🤣). Gives the spurs a little something extra to hold onto.
It certainly is a cool little drum! I'm about to debut gig my new 10x18 maple/poplar hybrid shell this weekend, I'll definitely share pics.

so micing from the batter side....I do that with my country/jazz band kit, and it completely baffles some sound guys. I get A LOT of "you can't do that"/"that is not gonna work". But I am not cutting a port into the front head and want the natural resonance/boom of the front head.

at the end of the night, they always say:"hmm...I didn't think that would work, but it did..."

Man, we could probably sit in on each other’s rigs and not have to move anything at all. This is what I play 75% of the time…

View attachment 126195

How’s that Daru PDP set? Before I ordered my little DWs, I had contemplated the Daru set. Great sizes and look. Would love to hear your thoughts on it.
Haha yes I'm pretty confident we could share each other's rigs with very little, if any, repositioning haha. Sometimes I lift and angle my ride like your's but other times I keep it low. If I'm playing a thinner more washy ride I keep it high and angled because it helps to stop me from just crashing it all the time, if I'm playing a heavier ride I like to keep it lower and flatter. In my above pic I just pulled out my new Paiste PST 7 ride for the first time and I absolutely love it, I was smacking that wicked bell all night.

As for the Daru Jones kit, it has it's shortcomings but as a whole I really like it. I've been playing smaller drums for a long time so I didn't 'over expect' anything out of it but it's surprisingly versatile while still being very punchy. The single lugs with the really long tension rods on the bass drum can be a bit of a pain, no matter how careful you are you will always get one or two that are really crooked. It's not a huge deal but drives my OCD nuts. The duckfoot style riser is the most solid and reliable riser I've ever used and having the notch in the hoop is a nice touch however I personally don't really like risers and would prefer my 18" just sitting on the floor. The bass drum itself is a little thump machine, I'm using an emad batter and a small port in the reso along with a big fluffy beater on my dw7000 pedal and it's absolutely lovely. The snare was a little tricky to get to where I like it but now that it's there it's sounding really nice and capable of impressive nuance, I'm running a uv1 over 300 snare side. The floor tom sounds ok, it has potential but it's the drum I've spent the least amount of time with, the bass drum and snare drum work with you going back and forth between softer and harder playing whereas the floor tom sounds best with softer hits and starts to get a little 'bonky' when you lay into it. Could also be my current tuning. Typically I'm not a very hard hitter but I've got a bass player who likes to crank and a guitar player who is clinically deaf in one ear. As I previously mentioned to you, I use the floor tom more as an alternative time keeping element so I just stay mindful of how I'm playing it. The floor tom legs are almost stupidly long however I decided to embrace this and have been slowly setting everything up a little bit higher which has been improving my posture dramatically, for almost twenty years I hunched like a damn bridge troll while playing. I was on the fence about the dw6000 ultralight hardware, they all felt almost like a toy and I was overly cautious in setting up and then packing up after. Last night I tossed them around, gave them hell, and threw them in the bag and they were fine. After last night's gig I've restored faith in that hardware. Hell, I had that 5lb PST7 heavy ride on a 6000 ultralight stand and I was smacking it like it owed me money without issue. It actually seems like these really light stands handle a heavier cymbal better as it reduces wobble. The maple/poplar shells are solid and while I initially thought the blended poplar was purely a budgetary decision I can for sure say they lend a bit of that old school drum sound, back in the day when drums were made with mixed layers of crap wood and still sounded good.

So yea. As a whole I like the Daru Jones kit. I prefer 12" and/or metal snares but I understand how a 13" is more mass appealing and I'm far from dissatisfied with the sound, feel, and playability of this drum. The bass drum is my favorite piece of the kit by and large. It's amazing how thumpy and chest punching it is but not dead or dull by any means, it wobbles a small amount but that's the riser not the drum. I'll get the floor tom where I need it to be with a bit more tweaking. The gold sparkle to black fade lacquer is super sexy, I love it. Probably my favorite drum finish I've ever owned. The bags that it comes with are very nice, durable, and high quality. They are the same basic design and concept as the Tama power pad style of bag. They are not hard flight cases but they are padded and I will not vomit on myself if a drum takes a few bumps in transit.

Oh yeah, the little 10" tom. It sounds great, it really does. It looks cool too. I just don't use more then a 3pc so that will probably never get used. PDP provides a tom mount cover plate which is absolutely genius, you can see it in my above pics. In my twenty years on the throne I barely ever use toms in the 'up' position so it's nice to have a drum company finally acknowledge that and give set up flexibility options.

Feel free to ask any other questions or if you want to see any specific components I'm happy to snap pics.

I got a deal on the kit simply by talking to my Sweetwater sales guy over the phone, I don't remember the exact price but I ended paying somewhere around $1,100 for the 4pc Daru Jones kit, full matching bag set, and the DW 6000 ultralight hardware set with matching bag. Add another $100 for the dw7000 pedal and another $150 or so in heads.

I had a habit of changing my drums very frequently but I think this one is going to stick around for awhile.

Wanted to add:
So the entire kit above from my pictures breaks down into just this:
IMG_20221029_094255379.jpg
The bass drum is in the bag to the left, hardware and cymbals bags in the middle, then the bag to the right has the floor tom, the snare drum, and the seat part of my throne all separated with dividers (included).

In the hardware bag I fit the DW 6000 ultralight hihat stand, snare stand, one cymbal stand, the floor tom legs, the tripod base for my throne, my dw7000 pedal, my stick bag, and a notebook. Always carry a notebook.
IMG_20221029_094217138.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, such a detailed response… thanks for taking the time to do that! I think the long tension rods were one of the things that led me away from the set. I’m notoriously rough on my gear and I messed up the rods on an old Clubdate set I owned a long time ago. That has stuck with me I guess.

I ripped (literally) those dividers out of my hardware bag. I have the same stuff (non-UL 6000, though) in mine and it’s much easier for me without the dividers. The whole Daru package seems like a really great deal for a working drummer. Great rig and looking forward to seeing some more gig pics of yours featuring them. 👊🏻👍🏻

Wow, such a detailed response… thanks for taking the time to do that! I think the long tension rods were one of the things that led me away from the set. I’m notoriously rough on my gear and I messed up the rods on an old Clubdate set I owned a long time ago. That has stuck with me I guess.

I ripped (literally) those dividers out of my hardware bag. I have the same stuff (non-UL 6000, though) in mine and it’s much easier for me without the dividers. The whole Daru package seems like a really great deal for a working drummer. Great rig and looking forward to seeing some more gig pics of yours featuring them. 👊🏻👍🏻
Thanks man! I've got round two of our Halloween blowout weekend tonight but this is a muddy backyard bonfire haunted barn redneck fest in the middle of the woods where a buddy of mine said I could use his kit that I've shared in the past. I'll have gig pics tonight but I'm 50/50 on if I'll use my Daru Jones kit or his since it's already there.

Stunning picture and your kit matches the room!
Thanks a lot ;-) i'm glad they changed the padding color of the seats, a few years ago they were some kind of "hospital" pale green. The theater had a colder feel back then. So the red was a welcome surprise today.... Anyway, we're very fortunate to play these sort of places.

Last edited:
Another job with what I’m now gonna refer to as the Cadillac rig, as an ode to @roncadillac. This is a fairly regular thing we do over in Morro Bay on the central CA coast. It’s a couple hours away from Bakersfield but light years away in climate and overall cool factor.

This room hangs out about 20 feet over the water on the bay. Sun was setting as the picture shows. Great evening. Only downside is the silly old TV right on the small ass stage that we have to negotiate every time we play there. Oh well, great location, great venue and great crowd. I can put up with that stupid TV for three greats. 🤪

99E3CC8E-8EE7-4985-8817-6D267C2A19D4.jpeg

Played a nearby country club's fall family camp-out last night. They kindly paid us and provided dinner and drinks! Home by 10:00!

View attachment 126243

View attachment 126244

View attachment 126245
Food, cash, bar tab, and a reasonable bed time... Doesn't get much better then that!

Another job with what I’m now gonna refer to as the Cadillac rig, as an ode to @roncadillac. This is a fairly regular thing we do over in Morro Bay on the central CA coast. It’s a couple hours away from Bakersfield but light years away in climate and overall cool factor.

This room hangs out about 20 feet over the water on the bay. Sun was setting as the picture shows. Great evening. Only downside is the silly old TV right on the small ass stage that we have to negotiate every time we play there. Oh well, great location, great venue and great crowd. I can put up with that stupid TV for three greats. 🤪

View attachment 126246
You've mentioned this before but I figured I would inquire instead of thumb through a bunch of pages, that is a 10x20 correct? Was that a custom job? I noticed they offer a stock 12x20 in the performance line.

Food, cash, bar tab, and a reasonable bed time... Doesn't get much better then that!

You've mentioned this before but I figured I would inquire instead of thumb through a bunch of pages, that is a 10x20 correct? Was that a custom job? I noticed they offer a stock 12x20 in the performance line.

Yessir, 10x20 is correct. Custom job that was actually a mistake either on DW’s part or my dealer’s part. I originally ordered it as a 10x22 but it came as a 10x20. The 20” diameter ended up working out better so I’ll chalk it up to a happy mistake or good juju.

Final festival gig of the year with my all-female new-grass band. Chose the 6.5" Legacy Mahogany snare for this gig and it was perfect. I custom ordered it with flat imperial lugs. It's a pretty drum. Also brought out my Yamaha direct drive pedal, which I'm loving again.

Sounds like we may be chosen to play a showcase at the big state Festival Association's annual shindig in Charlotte. Should be interesting.

IMG_2453_sm.jpg
IMG_2459_sm.jpg

The Black Panther Cherry Bomb Halloween Edition

View attachment 126258View attachment 126259
Love that set up!!

Final festival gig of the year with my all-female new-grass band. Chose the 6.5" Legacy Mahogany snare for this gig and it was perfect. I custom ordered it with flat imperial lugs. It's a pretty drum. Also brought out my Yamaha direct drive pedal, which I'm loving again.

Sounds like we may be chosen to play a showcase at the big state Festival Association's annual shindig in Charlotte. Should be interesting.

View attachment 126248
View attachment 126249

That's a classic, do-all, play anything rig you got there. Very nice!

Yessir, 10x20 is correct. Custom job that was actually a mistake either on DW’s part or my dealer’s part. I originally ordered it as a 10x22 but it came as a 10x20. The 20” diameter ended up working out better so I’ll chalk it up to a happy mistake or good juju.

Awesome, I thought that was the case. I'm thinking about taking the 16x22 pearl roadshow bass drum and 16x16 pearl roadshow floor tom I got cheap on Craigslist and cutting them down to something like 10" depth and keeping them single head. I've had a few rigs like this and dug them. Not to say say they would replace my PDP DJ kit but I've got them and the band is about to take a little break for a few weeks so I've got time for a project. These are typically used just as a kit to leave at the practice spot so I don't have to haul a full load every week so I'm not super worried about them. I would have the edges recut but the shipping alone would exceed the cost to buy them in the first place.

I ripped (literally) those dividers out of my hardware bag. I have the same stuff (non-UL 6000, though) in mine and it’s much easier for me without the dividers.
I have the same bag and was wondering about taking out the dividers. My ultra light high hat stand didn't last very long at all before it stripped out the tension bolt I retheaded it in a different hole and sold it. My cymbal stands and snares stand still get used.

Back