Open Mic Nights - How To?

I did an open mic not long ago and got up with a guitar player I didn't know who asks us (myself, bass + guitar) if we know Proud Mary by CCR. Sure thing. So he starts the song off alone and I'm thinking, 'is he doing the Tina Turner version?', because the tempo is much faster than CCR's. So I play the song and once its over he says into the mic: 'Drummers, you can't slow them down." You ass...you started the song that way!!! I said to him "I latched onto and was watching the tempo from your leg!" Guitar players!
Had this exact thing happen!

I feel you there.
I practiced for an entire 2 months of 3 times a week for a gig with this band (that asked me to join after the previous drummer moved to a different city). We had roughly a 25 song set half of which I knew and the other half I heard some songs but never played them on drums before so I got that time to learn them.
When the gig happened, they, (the singer and guitar player) ran through the set randomly, but also added about another 25 songs that we never practiced and a lot that I never even heard before!
I asked the bass player WTH? he would just tell me play a 4/4 beat at this tempo (plays a click by slapping on his leg). I got through it, and even got told that the band sounded great, but it was very uncomfortable to play "blind".
After that gig, I went and listened to some of those songs to see how off I was and man... I was not even close on a lot of them. I guess I am thankful that some people were drunk enough to just have fun and not notice... Also never again.

I don't mind having to play a song I've never heard before, on stage with everyone watching, as long as it's not EVERY song! :D

Changing an entire set list just before a gig is a definite no-go for me. I'm not sure how the rest of you guys do it, but when I'm playing a song at a gig, I like to know exactly what the next tune is going to be. I'll actually glance down at my list in the middle of a song and see what's coming up next.

Telling "war stories" about various misadventures at open mic jams is more fun than actually participating in them! :)

I knew a drummer who was the was ambidexterious. Paul Lagos had played with John Mayall and Sugarcane Harris. He set his kit up lefty; but could jump up on a righthanders kit, and you could hardly tell the difference. He could ride with either hand. He went throught the Chapin book right-handed. Then went through it, left handed.

I have to say that I have never Gigged anywhere. When I was originally drumming back in the late 60s as a teenager, me and the 2 other HS buddies who played together never got out of the Garage (well Basement). In 1969, we went in different directions after HS Graduation. I to College, the other guys went a different path (one went to Viet Nam in the Navy - he came back safely). In 2019, after getting a cheapo Drum Kit from my wife for Xmas, I resurrected playing. I'm no Copeland or Gaad, but I can play a number of Rock/Pop tunes. I have Toyed with seeking out local geriatric musicians to Jam with. Never considered Open Mic at a Club. Maybe I will give that shot - but hesitate since I don't want to embarrass myself :(:(

I have to say that I have never Gigged anywhere. When I was originally drumming back in the late 60s as a teenager, me and the 2 other HS buddies who played together never got out of the Garage (well Basement). In 1969, we went in different directions after HS Graduation. I to College, the other guys went a different path (one went to Viet Nam in the Navy - he came back safely). In 2019, after getting a cheapo Drum Kit from my wife for Xmas, I resurrected playing. I'm no Copeland or Gaad, but I can play a number of Rock/Pop tunes. I have Toyed with seeking out local geriatric musicians to Jam with. Never considered Open Mic at a Club. Maybe I will give that shot - but hesitate since I don't want to embarrass myself :(:(

My very limited experience here; older players have an obstacle and receive less acceptance in the circle when entering the circuit. But there is a place that you fit into if you want to give it a shot. I work at being more gracious with opportunities. I haven't been as tolerant of obstacles as I should've been here and there.

When I hit jams after the shutdown lifted, my hair was cut business length. It's grey from below my ears to just above them, but my hair on top is still dirty blonde to lighter brown which hides grey.
I let it grow and it covers all my grey, lol. I saw a difference to how people react. A 20 something girl got interested even. I'd just disappoint her.

Back