Open Mic Nights - How To?

danondrums

ugh...i have never been to an open mic session that wasn't a big "ego stroke" for the few running it, and around here, they almost always turn into a "flame the drummer/bassist" fest...they are almost always blues based, and it is a room full of SRV wannabe's (in the worst way)..it is always a bunch of "arm chair quarterback" guitar players or singers coming out of the basement for their bi monthly dose of glory....no thanks

and the jazz ones are worse because if you are not "on the scene", don't even unzip your stick bag...

I would rather seek out punk house shows, or just jam with street musicians on buckets....way less ego there, and usually way more inspiring and creative music making
Hell yeah.

BruceW

There is one thing about Jam night that annoys me. We have a local jam where the regulars all know each other, and get along great. The guy who runs it, tho...he's a good friend, and does a lot of great things for musicians in our area. However, he has a tendency to assume that folks can and will be able to play anything, or fake it. "Hey, it's a Jam!" Then someone will call out a song I've never heard of, from a whole other genre (usually classic country.) I hate showing my a$$ by being stuck there, and whoever is singing calls out something that I have no idea how to play. Its a helpless feeling. Dragging the whole thing down, and making a trainwreck out of things, in front of other people, many of them friends. The one that put me over the edge was, surprisingly enough, Unchained Melody. Not particularly difficult, but I was put on the spot, away we went. Its not standard rock (or even country) stuff that you can play along and be close enough. I walked off stage, saying never again.

We have these Jams semi-regularly, over the course of the summer. It's gotten to the point that I won't go up unless I know what I'm doing first, unless its only going to be with people I know and have played with before.. I hate to be that guy, but I also hate looking the fool.

Juniper

Gold Member
I love a Jam night, great way to network in a relaxed atmosphere.

There’s a friendly Blues jam at a local club in the town we live in that happens every second Friday of the month.

Now that I’m no longer playing with the band I can’t wait to go there next month and play.

Hopefully catch up with some of the people there, put my name down and wait my turn and have some fun that evening.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I love a Jam night, great way to network in a relaxed atmosphere.

There’s a friendly Blues jam at a local club in the town we live in that happens every second Friday of the month.

Now that I’m no longer playing with the band I can’t wait to go there next month and play.

Hopefully catch up with some of the people there, put my name down and wait my turn and have some fun that evening.
that would never happen around here...at least, I never heard anyone leave a jam night and say that it was relaxed...you are lucky

Juniper

Gold Member
that would never happen around here...at least, I never heard anyone leave a jam night and say that it was relaxed...you are lucky
Maybe it's just me, it's not something that worries me personally so I can enjoy it and enjoy drumming with a bunch of strangers.

Just a bit of fun, if you mess up it's no big deal/not life or death.

drumnut87

i dont turn up to open mic nights as theres not drums, no electric guitar players, no bassists, just acoustic guitarist/singers who sing all the songs in a folk style. but thats jsut round my area.

theres a monthly jam night i provide the drums for at a local venue, but its not well attended because its midweek and people round here dont like going out if its not a weekend or run by someone they know and like.

I struggled with Jam nights as my weakpoint is impro. However a weekly one was set up near me and they added a facebook group where you could put suggestions up for songs to play.
It works great as you can suggest a couple of songs, people jump in on the thread and put themselves down for your songs. You all have a few days to work on them, and go to the jam knowing what you'll play. I still find it tough, as you never know how well everyone has learnt the songs, so they can go off the rails a bit and are rarely the same as the version I've practiced, but it has done my playing the world of good! I now go every week and get asked to play songs that are very different to the sort of music I'd usually listen to or play with my band, so it's really increased my repertoire.
There is a left handed drummer who also attends, and no one complains at quickly changing the set up around for him.
I've made a lot of new friends, and even found a singer to form a second band with playing System of A Down Covers!
I have my "down" weeks when I feel like I've played poorly, but overall I love it and am really pleased that my tutor pushed me into trying it!

timmdrum

Silver Member
you never know how well everyone has learnt the songs, so they can go off the rails a bit and are rarely the same as the version I've practiced,
I learned this lesson from only knowing "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" from the Burnin' For Buddy album, and not realizing that other versions didn't have the Native American style breaks in it. :oops:😊