Newish kit- random musings

Bonnies1

Just showing off, saying that upfront.

To make a long story short, I got this 16 x 20 recording custom bass drum in a swap from a good friend of mine who had both the 22 and the 20. He's kind of a horse trader with drums and I ended up being the recipient on the good end of a gear swap, it came in super super, super under priced and undervalued. One of the few times in my life that things have worked out in my benefit in that regard. Then he kept the 13 and 16 with his 22 and sold me the 12 and 14 for super cheap. I would've never bought them otherwise.

It's interesting, though, these are very very contemporary, sounding drums, which is ironic because I listen to a lot of music that is made on older vintage instruments. Round badge, WFL, 60s Ludwig's. That really does seem to almost be a sonic trademark of a lot of the music that I listen to. But honestly, my ears really gravitate to modern sounding drums. I like the clarity of the note and the fact that they give back in volume what I put into them. If I play hard, they are louder. I may lose a certain character, but I just really appreciate the dynamic response and the fact that I can hear the bass drum and the tom-toms on stage.

Anyway, here's the kit... new Yamaha's in Surf Green. I get strangers stopping me in the club telling me how beautiful the kit is. It's kind of nutty how much response it gets. Fyi, i'm not really convinced of a 20 inch bass drum. I've been playing a 22 for so long that it really is my go to size. But I just love the color of these drums so I'm gonna go with it for a while.

Quick edit, I thought I added this earlier. I had a set of wood hoops made by Steller maybe four or five years ago that I was experimenting with. I like them but it wasn't "Oh my god this is amazing". But on this kit, I think they really sound good. maybe takes the edge off. Also, coated emperors on top. And finally, that crash cymbal right in front over the ride is a new thing for me. Usually I have that traditional three symbol set up, but I noticed that it's just really comfortable for me to have that crash cymbal over the ride and move the ride slightly over the floor tom. Certain gigs I seem to do where people like a lot more Crash accents, rock, gigs, or some of the harder, funk things people like the accents. If I'm just laying in the pocket and playing time, I can do the two cymbal thing pretty easily.
981B4442-9685-4411-8E26-FA457017E630.jpeg

Last edited:
wait How did the wood hoops get on there... Nice.

Lafayette, Louisiana is an hour and ten minutes drive from where I live. Most of my cymbals came from there, C&M Music and Scott's Drum Center. I used to go there once a month to shop. Now we go a couple of times a year. Peace and goodwill.

Love that Surf Green finish! Congrats!

I first sat that finish in action at NAMM before the pandemic when Tower of Power played the Main Stage and David Garibaldi played a five-piece kit of those. I've loved it ever since!

I have a surf green bass, and I must warn you that certain blues and greens clash really badly with it. So watch that wardrobe ;)

Back