New Drummerworld Group on Facebook...

Bernhard DW is the best internet site I’ve experienced. And the FB page just phenomenal. Thank you, Thank you , Thank you!!!

I ranted for 20 minutes the other night about "social" media. I have a dissertation on why it should all be banned for the good of humankind.
I thought you were against censorship and all of the "bad" that comes with it and yet you want to ban social media where people can pretty much discuss whatever, depending on the site.

I thought you were against censorship and all of the "bad" that comes with it and yet you want to ban social media where people can pretty much discuss whatever, depending on the site.
People don't get to discuss "whatever" and Twitter and FB arbitrarily apply their rules to posts. They lobbied to make sure they would have zero liability for what is posted in their platforms, therefore acknowledging they will allow content that is detrimental to society. It (social media) is nothing more than a money making tool disguised as something for connections or community.
If they were actual discussion platforms and that only, my view would be different.
Read the terms of service for either platform.

I think the terms of service here is the rules. Johnny don’t make them just one enforcer of them. He’s a nice man that gets no reward for just enforcing rules that some see as a villain. All administrators super nice! Why I’d never be an administrator. I’ll warn you the rules always stand and many have gone this path and ended up leaving or getting banned. Because there is no debate on it - accept it or leave is the option. It doesn’t really matter the merits of argument in this instance. I’d let it go snd enjoy the place because I’d hate to see you go.

The value in a forum is the content and data generated by its users.
Migrating user interactions to FB gifts an outside organization both the content and the users.

Ultimately, any interaction with FB is going to be a loser. Any interaction with Google is going to be a loser. Integration with 3rd party data aggregators and advertisers is always a loser.

It is akin to "playing for exposure", but with members and their content.

I hope all goes well with the fb site and I understand the move, but I hope this forum stays active as well. This forum has become something I genuinely enjoy checking out and I've learned a lot as a drummer and have met some really interesting folks. I'm just very selective in what I expose myself to (for mental health reasons moreso than privacy concerns) and personally I'm not willing to weather the barrage of ads, friend requests from people I've long forgotten about (some for a reason), friend and page suggestions, news stories, etc. to have an fb account again.

Thats is because they are there to display, chat about, and play drums. Not to try and solve the worlds problems or argue petty dislikes. There has not been one issue on the FB page.
It's because they're a shallow bunch. Vapid in their thinking, expecting the usual dribble from FB.

Reactions: J-W
If you just use a cell phone or log on to internet there is no "wall" that can really protect you from prying eyes of our Govt or others. Seems you would have to isolate yourself from any cell phone or internet use to avoid prying eyes. I understand why entities motivated to censor but censor, ban, or make taboo often just pours gas on it or even seeds rebellion. On FB you have individuals, other governments or our govt known to intentionally pass misinformation for some gain. Many terror attacks have been prevented over decades because free flow of info as some prevented from FB usage so seems capricious they aren’t banned for same issues.

Yes lots of bad actors but rather censor I’d suggest more freedom and the onus on FB to help identify bad actors for proper authorities to scrutinize rather than silence ( you have no clue what they are up to) or try to contextualize. It's shutting down valuable information to sway bad actors. Many counties side with more freedom as the Censorshp per Country article attest on Wiipeida. I agree with that and more freedoms should be the rule-an open society helps shine the light on everything.

But all that has nothing to do with the DW-FB page a private group of like minded souls. I don't like all the crap either and agree with some arguments-but because FB is F-uped isn't going to ruin my drumming experiences. Zuckerberg is a petulant child-he's Congressional testimony always reminded me of the adage-Don't piss down my boot and tell me it's raining. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it. He did build a promising business and lots of people do benefit-it isn't all bad. Good, Bad, and Ugly. I've been bad and ugly on here and despite my misdeeds I've never been banned. Because I'm an idiot not stupid-I profusely apologize and admit my error. I was pretty good for awhile but now I'm so old I forget.......Myself. My dysgraphia of late is driving me crazy-I think I'm falling apart-head rolls off shoulder on floor. LOL. I understand everyones angst-believe me I have it-but I try to navigate it all best I can and it exploit it for my gain-since others gain from me. It's like space travel so I just seek planets I like and leave the others be. Also I have had lots of friends swear off FB but it must be like crack because they keep coming back. You can make it a fun experience-happiness is a state of mind.

I tried to make this non-political and just discuss angst of FB usage-I maybe off so remove if so. Just save this. "Whatever the cause of reluctance fo usage of FB I know you are missing something really fantastic but I do understand any opinions otherwise." I use to log off for extended periods-now I like starting fires and roasting marshmallows LOL.

Last edited:
People don't get to discuss "whatever" and Twitter and FB arbitrarily apply their rules to posts. They lobbied to make sure they would have zero liability for what is posted in their platforms, therefore acknowledging they will allow content that is detrimental to society. It (social media) is nothing more than a money making tool disguised as something for connections or community.
If they were actual discussion platforms and that only, my view would be different.
Read the terms of service for either platform.
Just because someone has a differing opinion doesn't make them a detriment to society. And that is why I used the words, pretty much. You seem to want things to be black or white, or absolute in order to function, and the sites don't run that way. They are fluid and change and adapt, just like you wanted because society changes. People hide behind keyboards and inflate their egos and therefore rules are necessary to control things like hate speech, inciting riots and a host of others. But again neither Twitter, Snap Chat, Facebook, et.al. are covered by the US Constitution. How arbitrarily they rule their sites, or even make it up as they go, is their perogative.

How do I join without DW-FB seeing my family connections? (I'm old school, sorry)

Yeah... I'm not a big fan of anti-social media. I can be anti-social on my own.

I don't think others see your connections-lord I hope not-some of the people I've friended are nuts. Since I started I'm not seeing any evidence of that-just the same batch of nutty people, family and friends. It's a constant barrage of excellent drumming, new, old and in between. There is a jazz jam group and nature groups I use to visit with great frequency on FB but now it's the DW FB page more often-it's not just music but interviews or people posting helpful videos and some cool music/drum art posted. I wouldn't post one of my videos on there but I'm learning and stealing ideas like crazy.

Just because someone has a differing opinion doesn't make them a detriment to society.
It has nothing to do with opinions. They allowed material on their platforms for better than a decade that fueled conspiracies, xenophobia, Islamophobia, and white nationalism and willfully ignored the consequences until the fire was on their lawn. They cared only for profits and not for what they were doing to society.
You want to ignore that and give them a free pass by saying "eh, it's their prerogative". Fine. But don't try and tell me that they hold no responsibility for where society finds itself currently. That, is willful ignorance.

It's because they're a shallow bunch. Vapid in their thinking, expecting the usual dribble from FB.
I don't see the drummers on the FB page to be shallow at all. They only want to play, show and teach drumming as I said.

Society finds itself where it is because we are society and we let it. Social norms really guide it-we wag the dog of FB more than it wags public opinion. There is a lot of disinformation and blatant mistruths but that is all "politics" too. We allow CEOs to make millions and don't mind professional football players averaging $800 k for playing with a ball. Obviously it is a Wild West of everything. Why PubMed became public where anyone can look up the sequence of any pathogen (like small pox) and raise it from the dead-Well that's a freedom I think was a stupid idea. Youtube is a Wild West too-want to learn how to build bombs or terrorist agents well go to YT. It's the same everywhere-I think DW is an oasis-I think the DW-FB page an oasis on FB-it's our private island. I don't let phobias get in my way.

Xenophobia
(from Ancient Greek: ξένος, romanized: xénos, meaning "stranger" or "foreigner", and phóbos, meaning "fear"[1]) is the fear or hatred of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange.[2][3][4] It is an expression of perceived conflict between an ingroupand an outgroup and may manifest in suspicion by the one of the other's activities, a desire to eliminate their presence, and fear of losing national, ethnic or racial identity.[5][6]

Xenophobia has become a thing because of globalization and immigration (it's not always racism though can be)-where in-groups feel threatened by a new group. The US, though a land of all immigrants, has a history of attacking any new group for their ancestry, religion, etc. because of irrational fears. I think with more globalization/immigration more people feel uneasy and want to resist change is what it is really all about. Ironically it's human migration that has driven permutations of humanity )and the reason there is no biological/genetic race) and culturally we grow in diversity because of the additions-like why Jazz became a thing. But I'm hoping that people's angst will subside with more globalization and immigration. We find the beauty and advantages of diversity. We really are world citizens and share the same planet so now we need to rise about governments to address global problems. From the failures of Kyoto and now Paris Accord it's clear that governments really can't handle climate change-it has to be citizens who change. In the West of US water shortages have been a thing for decades-government intervention didn't address it but a public that got on board with conservation made the difference. It's always up to us for change.
I think it's funny that when SARS-COV-2 labeled "China" virus it was xenophobia but now there is a UK strain, a Brazil strain, and a South Africa strain people are using that nomenclature rather the scientific names. Crickets about xenophobia. Still all that is an aside form a private group on FB that is dedicated to drumming. Why throw the baby out with the bath water. Seems all those arguments conflate use of private group with the whole of FB.
So is Facebookaphobia a real thing ROFL. Dang let's just drop it and talk drums. Nothing we discuss here or on FB is going to change it.
Amen......Hooray

Dang I caught in the Catch-22 of my own remarks-slipped on my soapbox. But I'm fighting Oystersaritisphobia against Pearl and now Facebookaphobia against the Dw/FB page ROFL. Maybe somethings just best left unsaid. My apologies I love all drummers-well most-well some. Nevermind.

Bernhard thanks you all for your responses. Drop by and check it out.

Back