Matt Garstka Moves To DW

Not to sound jaded, but why is this big news? This is simply one contract running out, and another one beginning. I’ve long since stopped believing drumming artists when they tout one brand and then find them with another brand some years later. The only one I really believe is Charlie Watts, and he actually bought his iconic set.

Not to sound jaded, but why is this big news?

My brother is a head golf professional and he switched club brands because he wasn't a fan of how his rep at the time was treating him.

Could there have been some Matt and Tama drama? Yes. Do we need to know the specifics? no.

Not to sound jaded, but why is this big news? This is simply one contract running out, and another one beginning. I’ve long since stopped believing drumming artists when they tout one brand and then find them with another brand some years later. The only one I really believe is Charlie Watts, and he actually bought his iconic set.
This is big news to drum nerds like us. It's our way of gossiping about drummers.

Some people talk about the Kardashians. We talk about Vinnie kicking Ludwig to the curb.

If was an artist I wouldn't play a brand I didn't like even if they were free. If all these companies are supplying drums gratis I would chose the brand I liked or buy my own.

Last edited:
When Peter Erskine switches I want to know why. If someone won't do something for HIM as an ARTIST it gives me insights as to wether or not I feel favorably towards a given company depending on the situation. I read about these things and am affected by it.

No, you definately sound jaded. It's a drum forum, what else are people supposed to talk about? I personally find it interesting when artists switch brands. It can certainly affect a company. Greg Bissonette leaving Mapex was definitely a blow to them and a big boost to Dixon.

If was an artist I wouldn't play a brand I didn't like even if they were free. If all these companies are supplying drums gratis I would chose the brand I liked or by my own.
Contrary to popular belief, I don’t think artists get stuff for free (ask Bermuda). Even Steve Smith said he bought his first Sonor kit, and then as the years went by, he showed his loyalty by continuing to use the product and Sonor moved him up on the roster to maybe eventually get whatever he asked for. The artist has to sell drums for the manufacturer. That’s how it works.

No, you definately sound jaded. It's a drum forum, what else are people supposed to talk about? I personally find it interesting when artists switch brands. It can certainly affect a company. Greg Bissonette leaving Mapex was definitely a blow to them and a big boost to Dixon.
I dunno. He didn’t make me want to buy Mapex and I’m definitely not interested in Dixon. Pearl even let me be an “artist” of sorts and as cool as that was, I always to try other brands. Now I’ve tried all the biggies and have never not been able to afford what I wanted, so endorsements are kinda weak. I like the Roger Taylor/John Pannozzo method of drum endorsement - be rich enough to just buy what you want, make sure that company knows so they can be in a position to support you while on the road - that’s the real beauty of being endorsed: having things when you need them.

Contrary to popular belief, I don’t think artists get stuff for free (ask Bermuda). Even Steve Smith said he bought his first Sonor kit, and then as the years went by, he showed his loyalty by continuing to use the product and Sonor moved him up on the roster to maybe eventually get whatever he asked for. The artist has to sell drums for the manufacturer. That’s how it works.
All the more reason to buy my own. If I was a well paid pro, why the hell would I want to waste my spare time hawking drums. How much damn money does one need.

This is huge news. I'm going to have to take the week off work to regroup, reflect and figure out how this is going to change my life. Move over covid, you're my number 2 issue now.

In all seriousness, Weird double kick set up but the kit looks nice.

Last edited:
Hmmm, not to completely derail the thread, but i think I've never been influenced in getting gear as much as maybe some signature sticks. Always got what i liked the most and that one of my inspirations used a certain brand never got me hooked on that particular brand. Well maybe when i started out; all the drummers of Status Quo used Paiste and i wanted Paiste, but eventually got everything except Paiste for a while xD

Anyway, back to topic. Good for him! If i had the opportunity i'd might try out a different brand after a while too. Not the first time that an endorser plays something else and goes 'i like this more' and switches brands. I also read a lot that endorsers follow the rep when (s)he switches to another brand because of great artist relations.

The reveal was admittedly twee, but I'm sure this wasn't Matt's idea. Just obeying the orders of his marketing overlords. :D

For those that don't know, he is an insane player that sounds like a more aggressive Gavin Harrison.

Great player and a lovely new set of tubs! :) (y)

Just listened and they sound great indeed! Also spot a nice ride there; i suspect also a signature ride coming out soon ;)

Back