Matt Garstka Moves To DW

I really don't see what the big mystery is here.
DW is hands down the best sounding, sexiest looking drums in the world. Their hardware is beyond reproach.
My only question is what took him so long.:D:D:D:DLOL

p.s. apologies to C.M. Jones

Last edited:
In the upcoming, yet to be released podcast from Humbolt Dangon, Matt explains that Tama is a porpoise type company and DW is more of a dolphin type company. That in itself wasn't the whole motivating factor, but when he found out that DW prefers two-hump camels and Tama prefers one-hump, he had no choice but to go ahead and make the change. Then there's the whole matter of the argument of "every square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square" he was a part of -but that's another story for another time.

In the upcoming, yet to be released podcast from Humbolt Dangon, Matt explains that Tama is a porpoise type company and DW is more of a dolphin type company. That in itself wasn't the whole motivating factor, but when he found out that DW prefers two-hump camels and Tama prefers one-hump, he had no choice but to go ahead and make the change. Then there's the whole matter of the argument of "every square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square" he was a part of -but that's another story for another time.
Never heard of that podcast.

Then again, I only follow the Baron von Münchhausen podcasts.

All joking aside, there are a lot of companies out there making great drums. Buy what excites you and smile. We are fortunate to have such a variety.
Agreed. We're unbelievably fortunate these days.

I own Gretsch, Yamaha, DW and Ludwig kits at present. They're all charming and enjoyable in their own way. I've owned Pearl, Mapex and Tama kits in the past and felt the same way about them.

Biggest and best surprise was DW. Once I got a set of my own it became clear to me why so many professionals choose them. Why it's still a mystery to anyone... well, that's a mystery to me!

Last edited:
Well, the real news here is that I am still playing Tama, so I doubt the brand will feel the loss....... so there is that...... :)

Once you own a set of DWs, you get it. They're phenomenal drums.
I owned a collectors set for about a month, then traded it back to store I bought it through for a Tama kit. The collectors were good drums, but the Tama’s suit me better.

Well, the real news here is that I am still playing Tama, so I doubt the brand will feel the loss....... so there is that...... :)

I have a soft spot for Tamas.. i want that yellow kit that Erskine was doing ads for like 7 years ago... mmmmm (plus nice yellow tony vibes)
peter-erskine-joins-tama-95162.jpg

I owned a collectors set for about a month, then traded it back to store I bought it through for a Tama kit. The collectors were good drums, but the Tama’s suit me better.
I think it's safe to say that the Collectors Series draws the most criticism out of all of DW's lines. There's a host of reasons for that and no doubt some of it is warranted. I struck gold and came in at the entry level of DW's product line where they've had a hit with the Design Series.

I would grab another Tama set gladly, and probably will one day. They were my first love in terms of drums.

I think it's safe to say that the Collectors Series draws the most criticism out of all of DW's lines. There's a host of reasons for that and no doubt some of it is warranted. I struck gold and came in at the entry level of DW's product line where they've had a hit with the Design Series.

I would grab another Tama set gladly, and probably will one day. They were my first love in terms of drums.
What criticism do the Collector's series draw? I don't think I've ever encountered a Collector's I couldn't tune up and play - unless we're talking about people who "buy before they research" and end up deciding to talk about it online instead of playing them out on a gig ;)

I owned a Design Series kit before getting the collectors. Honestly, I preferred the Design series. I ordered the Collectors with re rings, and that was probably a mistake. The Design series is a great set, at a decent price point.

Back