Matching plys on Ludwig kit?

Jeffe

I'm looking to add an 18" floor tom left of the snare. I have a '78 6-ply 13-14-16-22-supra now. Most of the matching color 18's I have found to buy have been 3-ply with either white or granitone interiors. I play coated heads so looks don't matter, but should I be concerned at all with sound. Will just the thought of a non-matching shell construction drive me nuts?

When I first started putting my wood shelled Luddie kits together, I had 16 and 18 inch floor toms, in both 3 and 6 ply configurations. When you A/B then .... they are indeed different beasts. 3 ply has a much warmer tone. 6 ply has more projection.​
You might be able to narrow the gap by running different heads on the 18. Example .... coated Emperor on the 6 ply, coated Ambassador on the 3. I'd look for a 6 ply shell .... 'cause since you asked the question .... it probably will drive you nuts.​
What wrap are you trying to match? If it's still being made, re-wrap an 18 inch 6 ply to match.​

Thanks Harry, re-wrapping is a good idea, would need to get another grommet for the all important B/O badge. I'll look around for black cortex wrap, or just wait it out. Something tells me they get snapped up quick for bass drum conversions.

Back