Mapex Armory- Rainforest Burst VS. Night Sky Burst

acsunda

Hey guys, I guess it's that time again. Looking at getting a new kit, and I'm looking hard at getting another Mapex Armory, which I think is an incredible bang for your buck. I've had an Armory kit in the "Photon Blue" finish and man I wish it was still in production because I'd buy it again in a heartbeat (all the used kits in this finish on the market currently are 22" kicks, and I'm specifically looking for a 20"). Fortunately, the new finishes are equally gorgeous. I particularly like these two. They are both beautiful, and should I end up going with an Armory, I am genuinely conflicted about which one to get. While it's largely a greenish-to-yellowish color, I love the subtle aqua tones in the rainforest burst as it fades from green to natural. Beautiful. Meanwhile, the night sky burst is just eye-catching. I also feel that purple is a woefully underrepresented color in the drum market (I'd really love it if they had a purple sparkle fade, akin to the photon blue they used to make, but I digress). I'd love to know what you guys think.

b9vxr8b42n7qshqxm4vx__40019.1637130397.jpg
DSC08783.jpeg

Mapex-Armory-Night-Sky-Burst.jpeg
dsc01523.jpeg

My taste in drum shells is pretty conventional. Classic finishes have always called to me more than novel designs. In this case, however, I'm surprisingly drawn to the purple explosion of Night Sky Burst. It reminds me of Prince, who remains among my favorite artists of all time.

In tribute to the late master, "Let's Go Crazy." Let's go purple!

prince_purple_rain_.jpg

That purple definitely has the edge in my opinion. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

The purple is too feminine for me, and the other one is too stripe-ey

That said they're both rich looking finishes.

Night Sky Burst.

But those badges are too big and ruin the clean look, IMO. I wish they used something more subtle.

In the close ups I prefer the purple. In the kit pics I prefer the rainforest.

Maybe a coin flip is in order.

I like the Rainforest, but BGDurham is probably right about the purple under the lights.
+1 on this.

I don't know who your Mapex dealer is, but I recently hooked up with Kyle from Music Madness in Texas and he has been great with Mapex products. Very friendly and good prices.

Yeah that purple is nice. But I think the resale value is low because not that many drummers would want that color..
My favorite color is this one.

AR628S-RB-large.jpg

It's a shame you're not in the UK because I'd sell you my Saturn V 20", 10",12", 14" in Red/Blue Hybrid Sparkle.

On topic though, I prefer the Night Sky to the Rainforest, the yellow to green doesn't do it for me. However colour choice is totally personal so promise me you'll go with the one that makes your heart and gut sing, not the one that we as strangers vote for.

Attachments

• IMG_20220318_184304.jpg
    IMG_20220318_184304.jpg
    580.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220318_190206.jpg
    IMG_20220318_190206.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 5
It's a shame you're not in the UK because I'd sell you my Saturn V 20", 10",12", 14" in Red/Blue Hybrid Sparkle.

On topic though, I prefer the Night Sky to the Rainforest, the yellow to green doesn't do it for me. However colour choice is totally personal so promise me you'll go with the one that makes your heart and gut sing, not the one that we as strangers vote for.
Man I’d love to find one of these near me. Gorgeous finish.

Well, update. I just pulled the trigger on a used Armory kit in the photon blue. It’s a 22” bass drum and I was specifically searching for a 20”, but they only wanted $499 for the kit, so for that deal, I can live with a 22”.

Back