Infinite sadness

I too have had QC issues with Remo which led me to try Evans for a while, but ironically, every Remo I’ve tried in the last two months has been pretty good. I’m not complaining. Yet.

The one thing I don’t like about Evans (G2 anyway) is that when they start go dead, they really drop off quickly. Whereas with the Remo heads, they tend to sing until they break.
That I can agree with. Once an Evans head is done... It's done. Remo, you can just keep cranking and it won't sound terrible.

In all of the years I’ve been playing, I’ve only had a snare reso break once. Cannot remember if it was a Remo or an Evans.

It was an older head, and it was extremely cold out. My drums had been in my truck for a while before leaving for a gig.

Always assumed the extreme cold was a factor.

Never had one break while installing.

I’ve used Remo heads far more than I’ve used Evans, yet I’ve had more problems with the Evans heads. Call me crazy, but I can’t recall ever having a problem with any Remo head in almost 40 years. At this point I simply prefer the sound and feel of Remo.

I do like the Evans EC2s though. I’m currently using and loving Pinstripes on my toms, and would have no issue replacing them when it’s time with EC2s.

I’ve used Remo heads far more than I’ve used Evans, yet I’ve had more problems with the Evans heads. Call me crazy, but I can’t recall ever having a problem with any Remo head in almost 40 years. At this point I simply prefer the sound and feel of Remo.
My experience exactly. I haven't counted, but I'd imagine I've purchased over 500 drum heads in my life, and the number of problems I've had overall has been impressively low for something that is a commodity, really, and designed to be changed out relatively cheaply. Remos have given me hardly any problems at all.

Usually it's the coating flaking off-or you accidentally punch a hole in one in transient. I've never had a blow out.
Maybe invent a drum patch just like for a tire. Course in this instance just break out the spare head cause no fixing it. Maybe an instant head. You remember the tubes of plastic goo you could put a blob on the end of a straw to blow balloons? Well do that except using a fast drying synthetic mylar so you can blow a head. All you need is a hoop and you can blow any size head. Wait that didn't come out right-forget about it.

In just under 50 years(!!) of using Remo, I haven't had ANY of the issues (tons of) people have complained about the over years of forums.
Not sure why. Could be any number of reasons.

The snare side heads I've not had any problems with are:
Remo SA-0314-TD (clear)
Remo SA-0014-TD (Hazy)
Aquarian Classic Clear (standard, & with the white spots for the wire ends)
Aquarian Extreme

Remo's "TD" are (you probably know) a no collar design.
The hazy TD gets the exact same sound as the regular one, but, the "standard hazy ambassador snare sides have too high a collar for me.
They'd always end up bottomed out, because of Ludwig's brilliant butt end placement.

I believe that Ludwig still makes their own snare side heads, and some snare batter heads.

Aquarian use a low collar design.

I just don't like the sound I hear when I use Evans heads. Other people using them, they sound just fine.

Back