Dissapointed by Evans EQ Pods

Jasta 11

I bought these last week and when i took them out of the box, i thought they were going to be a homerun. very sticky on one side and not sticky on the top.
During my gig, I had one on my snare and it kept popping off. It ended up on the floor both times. I'm sending them back but has anyone had this problem before with these? I have Moongels which never move, I just dont like that if I leave moongels on, they pick up all the debris in my bags.
61VNt4A3MDL._AC_UL320_.jpg

I bought these last week and when i took them out of the box, i thought they were going to be a homerun. very sticky on one side and not sticky on the top.
During my gig, I had one on my snare and it kept popping off. It ended up on the floor both times. I'm sending them back but has anyone had this problem before with these? I have Moongels which never move, I just dont like that if I leave moongels on, they pick up all the debris in my bags.
61VNt4A3MDL._AC_UL320_.jpg
I don't really use this type of product so I have no personal experience but I am a huge advocate of Evans products and the customer service they provide. I definitely suggest reaching out to them to let them know the issues you had, not to say that will suddenly change the performance of this specific product but I'm sure they will do something to help make it right.

I use these and have never had this issue. They stick just as well as moongels and are much easier in my experience to remove and reapply without losing their shape (an issue I've had many times with moongels).

I feel the different snare weights take too much of the characteristics of a snare like a wallet or even a too lare piece of gaffer.

I rather buy a more pre muted head, or alu cast hoops if that is needed, and the cone point of a trigger works very well too.

If I do resort too gel its the Slapklatz Pro for me, but mostly on larger floors like an 18”.

It's been my experience with that type of product that they don't stick as well to coated heads. I haven't used the Evans brand I have used moon gels and drum dots they seem to stick better to clear mylar

The thing with the Evans EQ Pods-- which I use all the time-- is that you need to wash them now and then, especially if you're taking them on and off coated heads. I just run them under a little warm water with a tiny bit of soap and they seem good as new and stick like crazy.

I did, however, just buy a Snareweight M1 and I think it's perfect. I haven't tried the 80-- it seems like a lot of muffling for me, but it seems like a lot of guys use them. I'm going to try a few more of the models.

I got a small 2-pack of those when I bought the Evans snare drum tune up kit.
They got rock hard in a few weeks & didn't stick at all. I religiously put them back in the little pouch they came in & nothing helped.
I have a round MoonGel case & a flat, plastic box for my Drum Dots. Those seems to work really well all the time.

Not sure what happened, but I wasn't impressed by them.

It's been my experience with that type of product that they don't stick as well to coated heads. I haven't used the Evans brand I have used moon gels and drum dots they seem to stick better to clear mylar
Im using a coated Remo head. could be the issue, they are super sticky to touch.

^^^^^this…
…or this…View attachment 129069
I have both and the snareweight does work better

I don't really use this type of product so I have no personal experience but I am a huge advocate of Evans products and the customer service they provide. I definitely suggest reaching out to them to let them know the issues you had, not to say that will suddenly change the performance of this specific product but I'm sure they will do something to help make it right.
i will say they seem better than moongels. Just being able to remove them one at time from the packaging exceeds all of my experience with moongels, which are all just stuck togeather and i tear at least 2 to get a single, usable one seperated.

Snareweight M80. You won't regret it.

That is all.
I use the M1 which is the smaller version. I was trying out my maple bop kit at a gig and wanted some tone cintrol for it. these gels actually killed the drums so i took them off and put one on the snare, which already has the M1 and it sounded great, then flew off sadly.

If you don't mind my asking, are you using a product like this due to the 'adjustability' factor of being able to add/remove as desired or do you simply have a ringy drum that you use a consistent amount of muffling? If you like to have the flexibility of adding/removing as need then I'm sure these can be great but if you are a 'set it and forget it' kinda guy then I'll always argue in favor of a different drum head. A PS3 style head (single ply with edge ring) really helps to focus your sound while still letting your drum have some life and if you like a more dead thuddy snare sound a thicker coated 2ply, 'dry' style head, or hydraulic head will work wonders.

Edit: I see you mentioned bop kit so I'm going to assume you aren't looking for dead thuddy sound. Try a coated PS3 style head, you get the bright open attack of a typical coated single ply but the edge ring helps to cut out some of the overtones and focus your note.

Im using a coated Remo head. could be the issue, they are super sticky to touch.
It's possible. It doesn't seem like the ones I use stick to the coated heads as well as the smooth clear heads.

If you don't mind my asking, are you using a product like this due to the 'adjustability' factor of being able to add/remove as desired or do you simply have a ringy drum that you use a consistent amount of muffling? If you like to have the flexibility of adding/removing as need then I'm sure these can be great but if you are a 'set it and forget it' kinda guy then I'll always argue in favor of a different drum head. A PS3 style head (single ply with edge ring) really helps to focus your sound while still letting your drum have some life and if you like a more dead thuddy snare sound a thicker coated 2ply, 'dry' style head, or hydraulic head will work wonders.

Edit: I see you mentioned bop kit so I'm going to assume you aren't looking for dead thuddy sound. Try a coated PS3 style head, you get the bright open attack of a typical coated single ply but the edge ring helps to cut out some of the overtones and focus your note.
i wanted to tame the volume and the sustain slightly. On my Birch Bop kit I have Coated emperors and i also use the evans tone rings. the drums sound great. The bop kit i tried these on were my 3 ply maple Ludwigs. The toms have just a little too much sustain to clearly hear the quicker notes. I thought this would do it but it really just made them dead so they were too much. After playing both kits this past weekend, Im almost afraid to say I like Birch better than Maple. They are definately both different and destinctive, I really like the attack and brightness of the birch vs the lower tone and sustain of the maple.

i wanted to tame the volume and the sustain slightly. On my Birch Bop kit I have Coated emperors and i also use the evans tone rings. the drums sound great. The bop kit i tried these on were my 3 ply maple Ludwigs. The toms have just a little too much sustain to clearly hear the quicker notes. I thought this would do it but it really just made them dead so they were too much. After playing both kits this past weekend, Im almost afraid to say I like Birch better than Maple. They are definately both different and destinctive, I really like the attack and brightness of the birch vs the lower tone and sustain of the maple.
Ok that totally makes sense. I'm honestly not a huge fan of maple but I love birch so I can understand. Have you tried faux calf heads? I like the evans calftone personally. For being a single ply head they offer a much fatter tone then the typical two ply but still don't totally kill a drum.

Fold a napkin over the edge of the drum, secure it in between the tension rod and the rim. No sticky bs. Works better than any of the faddy products imo

I swear by closeout window clingies. They don’t last as long but at those prices, who cares?

Have just got some and so far I am impressed by the EQ Pods and have been gigging with them pretty heavily with just the one pod. Dependant of the drum I still use the M1 snareweight but it has started to leave some indentations on the hoops as the leather has started to wear thin on the mounting point.

Back