Best Double Bass Drum Pedal

I try a lot of pedals but i never try Axis, Trick, Czarcie ecc... I go to my local shop to try and buy an Iron Cobra HP 900 but i switched to Speed Cobra because is to light and reactive than Iron Cobra for me. I try Yamaha Fp9c that Is an amazing pedal but i don't like because have a smooth platform. The Pearl Daemon Drive is also an amazing pedal but the platform Is too short for me and i try the DW 9000 that is the best pedal built but is too heavy...
I haven't tried Czarcie but I have tried Yamaha, Pearl, DW,Tama, Axis, etc. I was able to do single foot 16ths with the Axis, I just didn't want to pay that much at the time and I heard some reviews about pedals breaking and some other issues. (I might still buy a pair eventually). I tried the Pearl Demon direct drives... They felt too heavy, however when something feels like that, it takes a bit to adjust but once you do, those are great pedals as well. (And they have the 3rd piece on the shaft linkage that prevents the slave pedal from feeling laggy which is a bonus hence the high price). but as others have stated here, YOU have to try the pedals, it doesn't matter what I or others think, only YOU are going to know what works for you. The rest is some hopefully informed opinons.

I have 2 bass drums (from 2 different sets, I have 4 sets but 2 are electronic). The point of the double pedal is that you don't need a second bass drum. Of course it looks a lot more bad ass to have a double bass kit, but if you have to lug all that stuff regularly then it becomes a pain so a lot of people choose to downsize.
I had many years one bass drum and double pedal, but then I wanted to get another one so I could gain things that I want to gain in my journey.

And I still think that those pedals are best, even nobody makes them anymore. It's a matter of opinion.

Last edited:
I had many years one bass drum and double pedal, but then I wanted to get another one so I could gain things that I want to gain in my journey.

And I still think that those pedals are best, even nobody makes them anymore. It's a matter on opinion.
Check Martyn.net so far the best I've seen on how to double bass, and a lot of the instructors there are in current bands using all of those techniques.

Check Martyn.net so far the best I've seen on how to double bass, and a lot of the instructors there are in current bands using all of those techniques.
I'm more into double bass paradiddles and rudiments, and leading with both feets. And "mirrored groove system"-like stuff.

I'm more into double bass paradiddles and rudiments, and leading with both feets. And "mirrored groove system"-like stuff.
He (Martyn) is about metal of course, but those concepts apply to any genre (proper posture, correct way to exercise to avoid injuries, etc).

I got some Tama Speed Cobras from GC used. They feel a bit heavy. Has anyone had that experience? Like its more of a chore to engage them. Maybe my legs are jusrt week and I need to practice more/stick with it.

I got some Tama Speed Cobras from GC used. They feel a bit heavy. Has anyone had that experience? Like its more of a chore to engage them. Maybe my legs are jusrt week and I need to practice more/stick with it.

They feel extremely light directly from the factory, so the best place to start is the default settings (there are reference markers for pedal height and beater angle). Also the sweet spot on the pedals might be a bit more forward than many people assume. To me it feels like about dead center.

Curious, do any of us prefer a double pedal over having two full bass drums? Cost and large footprint aside.

If I had a drum tech or someone else to haul my shit to gigs for me, I'd prefer two bass drums, just for the looks.

But I guess this falls already under "large footprint".

I play a vintage kit and probably will never find a matching bass drum at an affordable price, so I've opted for a double pedal.
just make sure to upgrade your pedals with something like this:

Of course the Trick shaft is the one to have buy it might not fit your pedals so verify before you spend the $$

What this does is that it prevents the slave pedal ( the one not connected to your bass drum) from having slack and feeling heavier you might have to adjust the spring settings so that both your pedals are matched.

a short video of what this part does:

Of course the Trick shaft is the one to have buy it might not fit your pedals so verify before you spend the $$

What this does is that it prevents the slave pedal ( the one not connected to your bass drum) from having slack and feeling heavier you might have to adjust the spring settings so that both your pedals are matched.

This is so weird! I ordered a Trick driveshaft about an hour before reading your post!

Curious, do any of us prefer a double pedal over having two full bass drums? Cost and large footprint aside.
Follow up: are there any full double bass drum users that can give us the pros and cons? I for one am curious if its hard to match the feel from foot to foot. Do you have a certain pedal/bass drum that always goes on the right or left? I know that some drummers have two different bass drum sizes or sounds to their set up, but this might be more for those that are looking for the same tone out of both drums.

Follow up: are there any full double bass drum users that can give us the pros and cons? I for one am curious if its hard to match the feel from foot to foot. Do you have a certain pedal/bass drum that always goes on the right or left? I know that some drummers have two different bass drum sizes or sounds to their set up, but this might be more for those that are looking for the same tone out of both drums.
If you have two bass drums, clearly you want single pedals (one on each) and ideally if they are the same size, then tune them the same. For that task the drum dial shines but of course if you want to get more precise there are more complex tuners that will tune to the note, really not needed IMO but to each his own. Now if you are going to trigger your bass drums, then it doesn't matter if they are not perfectly tuned to be exactly the same because in the end you won't be using their acoustic sound.

Since you brought this vid up, what exactly does the amount of times the beater swings when you pull back on it have to do with how well they play? I have an old 5000 set where even the right beater is only good for 10 or 11 swings and I think I play the same as I do on my Tama pedal that does like 30. I also think I play the same when I use my right foot on the left pedal, which is lucky to swing 5 times. So I wonder if it’s actually a relevant factor or if it just looks cool to drummers. I feel as long as they keep up with my feet, I’m good, no?

Since you brought this vid up, what exactly does the amount of times the beater swings when you pull back on it have to do with how well they play? I have an old 5000 set where even the right beater is only good for 10 or 11 swings and I think I play the same as I do on my Tama pedal that does like 30. I also think I play the same when I use my right foot on the left pedal, which is lucky to swing 5 times. So I wonder if it’s actually a relevant factor or if it just looks cool to drummers. I feel as long as they keep up with my feet, I’m good, no?
It is not the amount of swings that the pedal does, that does not matter what he was trying to demonstrate is how much lag he eliminated with that shaft (When comparing slave vs master pedals). It seems a lot of people missed the point.

That might seem like a minimal thing but for me, I can do 16ths with a proper slave pedal (with my left foot) I can't do that with the regular shaft that comes with most pedals because it does obstruct the movement significantly more. To be fair I can still do 16ths I just have to work harder to accomplish that.
Double bass drums over a single bass drum with double pedal anytime.

I’ll take two bass drums anytime. Sounds better, looks better, and isn’t much harder to set up or take up much more space. I’ve never had a problem fitting them anywhere.
I don’t tune them exactly the same, so there is a “right” and “left” and my pedals are set up differently.
I also like to feel like I’m in the center of the kit, and with one kick that never works.

It is not the amount of swings that the pedal does, that does not matter what he was trying to demonstrate is how much lag he eliminated with that shaft (When comparing slave vs master pedals). It seems a lot of people missed the point.

That might seem like a minimal thing but for me, I can do 16ths with a proper slave pedal (with my left foot) I can't do that with the regular shaft that comes with most pedals because it does obstruct the movement significantly more. To be fair I can still do 16ths I just have to work harder to accomplish that.
No doubt in my mind you could. I guess maybe if I played a tricked out double I might change my mind, but what I don't know won't hurt me :)

No doubt in my mind you could. I guess maybe if I played a tricked out double I might change my mind, but what I don't know won't hurt me :)
Ok I just tested it, I can do singles 16ths with my left foot at 90 Bpm and 95 bpm with my right. I am trying to master the heel toe technique which will translate to much faster (because of the double hits). The truth is I actually need to practice.

Last edited:
Back