Best Double Bass Drum Pedal

I bought the trick dominator double pedal and I could not get used to the compression spring setup .it was like hitting a wall before the beater hit the head so I looked up and unlimited and saw what they did to modify the bias rod and made the modifications myself.as I am a transmission rebuilder and work in a shop with the tooling to do so .what a difference .I absolutely love these pedals now.
That’s awesome! I would love to try the bias rod upgrade, but they are pretty pricey. The compression spring feel doesn’t bother me like it does some people, so there is a chance I wouldn’t use them if I bought them anyways. Did you modify your existing bias rods? That would be scary!

That’s awesome! I would love to try the bias rod upgrade, but they are pretty pricey. The compression spring feel doesn’t bother me like it does some people, so there is a chance I wouldn’t use them if I bought them anyways. Did you modify your existing bias rods? That would be scary!

The spring design feels odd to me. If I remember correctly, the company points out that there's minimum resistance in the down stroke until just before impact, and that's what I don't like. Some resistance in the middle of the stroke gives direct drive pedals a pendulum feel which is useful for control.
This "resistance" in the physics sense is not to be confused with mechanical resistance (like friction) which actually slows the pedal down.

Last edited:
You know I have not been playing the drums all that long but I've used different pedals and as soon as I put them on the bass drum I didn't like them .if I backed the adjusters off they were just super loose and if you got the adjustment where you like it there would be a lot of resistance before the beater hit the head .I just zoomed in on the acd bias rods to see what they did and modified my own .I did the measurements with a micrometer

I went to a music store yesterday and played Speed Cobra,s Iron Cobras, Demon Drives, The top of the line yamahas and DW9000s and the conclusion I came to is that they were all fantastic pedals. You can't really go wrong with any of them. How they were set up was much more important than the pedal itself.

I try a lot of pedals but i never try Axis, Trick, Czarcie ecc... I go to my local shop to try and buy an Iron Cobra HP 900 but i switched to Speed Cobra because is to light and reactive than Iron Cobra for me. I try Yamaha Fp9c that Is an amazing pedal but i don't like because have a smooth platform. The Pearl Daemon Drive is also an amazing pedal but the platform Is too short for me and i try the DW 9000 that is the best pedal built but is too heavy...

I try a lot of pedals but i never try Axis, Trick, Czarcie ecc... I go to my local shop to try and buy an Iron Cobra HP 900 but i switched to Speed Cobra because is to light and reactive than Iron Cobra for me. I try Yamaha Fp9c that Is an amazing pedal but i don't like because have a smooth platform. The Pearl Daemon Drive is also an amazing pedal but the platform Is too short for me and i try the DW 9000 that is the best pedal built but is too heavy...
You should try an axis pedal. I randomly ended up getting two for much much less than the price of one and I absolutely love them. They're not just for death metal. It's a great all round pedal, that just so happens to make playing very fast much easier.

if you don't want a "smooth platform" but like the pedal otherwise, you can use that stuff they use for skateboards or even cheaper for stairs and just stick it to the top of the pedal to create a grippy surface.

You should try an axis pedal. I randomly ended up getting two for much much less than the price of one and I absolutely love them. They're not just for death metal. It's a great all round pedal, that just so happens to make playing very fast much easier.
Yes i think i will try them!!

I personally like the smooth surface as it allows me to swivel and do heel toe very easy. I tried the Axis pedals and instantly I was able to do sixteens with a single pedal without effort. I tried the Pearl pedals and they felt too heavy for me.. maybe after some adjustments...

Yamaha DFP9410 Direct Drive

The one you listed shows to be discontinued (you might be able to find some using reverb.com. The current ones are: https://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMDFP9D?siid=255950
for that price, I would buy the Pearl Demon drives which have a third linkage piece, which prevents the connecting bar from getting stuck thus making the slave pedal just as smooth as the main pedal. basically the bar looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/TUOREN-Linka...prefix=trick+double+peda,aps,335&sr=8-1-fkmr1

The one you listed shows to be discontinued (you might be able to find some using reverb.com. The current ones are: https://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMDFP9D?siid=255950
for that price, I would buy the Pearl Demon drives which have a third linkage piece, which prevents the connecting bar from getting stuck thus making the slave pedal just as smooth as the main pedal. basically the bar looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/TUOREN-Linkage-Connector-Percussion-Instrument/dp/B0BGRRQDJ2/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?crid=3R05SMXYDNPVO&keywords=trick+double+pedal+drive+shaft&qid=1676392630&sprefix=trick+double+peda,aps,335&sr=8-1-fkmr1
You can remove connecting bar when you buy second bass drum. With DFP9410 it is possible.

Last edited:
What double pedal would you recommend for someone with size 13 (US) feet? I have the Pearl Eliminator 2002c currently but the pedals move side to size too much, the boards aren’t long enough and my feet keep moving up the pedal into the chain.

my feet keep moving up the pedal into the chain.
Your pedals are too close to you. It's not the size of your feet, rather where they are.

The side to side might be the Powershifter not being locked. Could be the hinge also.

There any distance/ratio guides for how far the drone should be from the kick? I know it will differ based on the height of the person.

Thanks for that.

There any distance/ratio guides for how far the drone should be from the kick? I know it will differ based on the height of the person.

Thanks for that.
Hmm, that's an interesting thought. Seat height might come into play also. Now I'm curious 🙂.

You can remove connecting bar when you buy second bass drum. With DFP9410 it is possible.

I have 2 bass drums (from 2 different sets, I have 4 sets but 2 are electronic). The point of the double pedal is that you don't need a second bass drum. Of course it looks a lot more bad ass to have a double bass kit, but if you have to lug all that stuff regularly then it becomes a pain so a lot of people choose to downsize.

Back