Advice on sourcing a Ludwig floor Tom

basset52

I'm wanting to source a second hand 16" x 16" Ludwig Floor tom. I want to add some versatility to my 2012 Ludwig Club Dates. I have the 20, 12, 14 configuration. I was lucky enough earlier this year to find a 13 x 9 Ludwig Legacy rack tom in Australia that I had re wrapped ( Precision Drum Co were great to deal with) with the identical wrap. I can then have 12 and 14 or 13 and 16 depending on playing circumstances. I have put out posts on sites in Australia but I'm thinking I might not be so lucky this time! Any series is oK and I'm not really looking at vintage but would't exclude them. So to my question. What is your best advice on where to start looking? I am checking out Ebay and there are some on there. But are there other sources that I should look at. ie Drum retailers that deal in secondhand orphan drums. I'm not familiar with your "Craigslist" but I see that mentioned a bit on here. Clearly being in Oz is a disadvantage as freight will be expensive but it is what it is. Any advice appreciated.

Guitar center sells used gear, also MusicgoRound. I just bought a used acrolite from GC with no issues. I would strongly suggest you call and talk to the store manager listed rather than just order online with either place. And I don’t know their policies on overseas shipping...

But are there other sources that I should look at. ie Drum retailers that deal in secondhand orphan drums. I'm not familiar with your "Craigslist" but I see that mentioned a bit on here. Clearly being in Oz is a disadvantage as freight will be expensive but it is what it is. Any advice appreciated.
I assume you've tried Gumtree as well? Other than that you should try Reverb for international drum equipment (yes I know Ebay is international as well but Reverb is more musical instrument specific).

I assume you've tried Gumtree as well? Other than that you should try Reverb for international drum equipment (yes I know Ebay is international as well but Reverb is more musical instrument specific).
Thanks, I sometimes forget Gumtree across OZ. I look regularly at the SA section - but I will do so. Thanks for the Reverb option.

To the best of my knowledge .... you can forget vintage. The original Club Date never had a 16x16 floor tom. 14x14 and 15x12 were the only two sizes they made. I don't think Ludwig made a tension rod that was long enough to span a 16x16 that had a center lug. Guys back in the day that wanted a 16x16 had to use the Classic split lug floor tom. And as far as the new Reissue Club Dates .... well, they're still too new to be providing many orphans. Since you already proved you "have the stuff" to re-wrap a shell, I'd suggest you get any Ludwig 16x16 you can get your hands on cheap. If you're looking for the "vintage" look ..... the period correct look would be a split lug drum. If you just gotta have the center lugs, get your local Ludwig dealer to order you the new center lugs and tension rods ..... and add them to your 16x16 shell. You dowel the Classic lug holes, re-wrap the shell and you're in.

To the best of my knowledge .... you can forget vintage. The original Club Date never had a 16x16 floor tom. 14x14 and 15x12 were the only two sizes they made. I don't think Ludwig made a tension rod that was long enough to span a 16x16 that had a center lug. Guys back in the day that wanted a 16x16 had to use the Classic split lug floor tom. And as far as the new Reissue Club Dates .... well, they're still too new to be providing many orphans. Since you already proved you "have the stuff" to re-wrap a shell, I'd suggest you get any Ludwig 16x16 you can get your hands on cheap. If you're looking for the "vintage" look ..... the period correct look would be a split lug drum. If you just gotta have the center lugs, get your local Ludwig dealer to order you the new center lugs and tension rods ..... and add them to your 16x16 shell. You dowel the Classic lug holes, re-wrap the shell and you're in.
Thanks Harry, I'm happy to get my hands on any 16 " Ludwig Tom of reasonable quality. The split lugs don't worry me as the 13 x 9 tom I got earlier this year has them. Except for other drummers I don't think anybody notices if it has different lugs.

Last edited:
As per the above thread I have a couple of the floor toms that interest me. They are in USA so sight unseen. There is a Ludwig 73/74 butchers block tom. Wrap looks a little loose from the photo's but thats OK as its coming off anyway. There is also a fairly new Ludwig Keystone X. The butchers block is a lot cheaper but its a lot older. Are the Butchers Block series generally OK? Were they known for any real issues? Appreciate your thoughts.

.... Ludwig 73/74 butchers block tom. Wrap looks a little loose from the photo's but thats OK as its coming off anyway.

If you like the way the Legacy matches up to your Club Dates, you're getting the "original" to that shell in the 73/74 Luddie. The Legacy is Ludwig's reproduction/reissue of the 3 ply shell. Thin shell (maple/poplar/maple) with reinforcement rings. Butcher Block is just a wrap. And like you say ..... you're gonna ditch that, anyway. It wasn't until 76/77 that Ludwig went to the 6 ply shell, which was a straight shell (no reinforcement rings). If you can have the seller send you photo's of the interior and bearing edges .... that would be cool ..... however ..... I've bought 14 of these 3 ply Ludwig drums over the years and never had a dog.

If you like the way the Legacy matches up to your Club Dates, you're getting the "original" to that shell in the 73/74 Luddie. The Legacy is Ludwig's reproduction/reissue of the 3 ply shell. Thin shell (maple/poplar/maple) with reinforcement rings. Butcher Block is just a wrap. And like you say ..... you're gonna ditch that, anyway. It wasn't until 76/77 that Ludwig went to the 6 ply shell, which was a straight shell (no reinforcement rings). If you can have the seller send you photo's of the interior and bearing edges .... that would be cool ..... however ..... I've bought 14 of these 3 ply Ludwig drums over the years and never had a dog.
Thanks Harry, I have decided to buy the Butcher Block tom . In the end the decision was made for me as The Keystone, I found out, doesn't ship to Oz. I forgot to mention that the Butchers Block has a Granitone interior. In your view, what effect, if any does this have on the sound?

I forgot to mention that the Butchers Block has a Granitone interior. In your view, what effect, if any does this have on the sound?
I have one 3 ply with Granitone interior in my Luddie shell bank. I find no discernible sound difference, between it and my other drums, which all have clear interiors.
If your Club Dates are the cherry/gum shells .... I've heard those kits, and they do sound remarkably similar (very warm) to the 3 ply shells. Even thought the modern Club Dates have straight shells, the cherry/gum combo is really sweet.
Keystone shells are maple/oak ..... so I think you made a much better choice going with the 3 ply. The Keystone is designed for a much more modern sound.

I have one 3 ply with Granitone interior in my Luddie shell bank. I find no discernible sound difference, between it and my other drums, which all have clear interiors.
If your Club Dates are the cherry/gum shells .... I've heard those kits, and they do sound remarkably similar (very warm) to the 3 ply shells. Even thought the modern Club Dates have straight shells, the cherry/gum combo is really sweet.
Keystone shells are maple/oak ..... so I think you made a much better choice going with the 3 ply. The Keystone is designed for a much more modern sound.
My Club Dates are the Cherry/Gum drums. Thanks for your input Harry, really appreciate it.

Back