A ghetto repair job 😉

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
In addition to the bass drum repair/re-wrap going on, my 10x14 rack tom wrap had shrunk a little and split over the years, leaving a yellow stripe of glue visible. It wasn’t critical as that split seam faces back at me and nobody could see it.

I did notice it was no longer shrinking (probably because I treat it well and it’s never exposed to the sun or heat now), so I thought I’d cover it with a strip of new silver sparkle. I also plugged the holes where the original tom mount would’ve been. Up close you can tell it’s an additional vertical strip of silver sparkle, but from a distance you can’t tell and it no longer has that very visible yellow stripe! Here’s some before and after shots:

2531A07B-B237-4FD4-80C6-B3ED5E81E380.jpeg18A04DE0-9284-4E45-AF67-A731CA726408.jpeg8CB1946B-217D-4A74-A5E2-E721AC7EE1AD.jpeg76C95597-EE2D-4426-BB6A-3D797597719F.jpeg1C4D041A-1D18-482C-86C1-5B3C3BB0A602.jpeg

On a related note - I want to apply a silver sparkle star to my bass drum reso head...
What's the best way to achieve it?

Nice job! It would be fine for me!

But be careful. Sometimes temporary ghetto fixes become permanent. ;)

Nice job! It would be fine for me!

But be careful. Sometimes temporary ghetto fixes become permanent. ;)
That’s the plan. I was originally going to leave it alone, but since the bass drum was getting a complete make-over, $5 for this extra slip of silver sparkle wasn’t a bad investment 😉

I'd imagine drum wrap might be a touch... rigid, too 😁
Any chance of finding a material that's removable without damaging the head, or am I dreaming?

Just say that John Good gave you the idea for the vertical strip for an additional 9% resonance in the mid to low frequencies. Soon it won't be your ghetto repair job...it will be what everyone has to have if they want DW's latest technology. Ya..thats it...John Good at DW put that on and swore me to secrecy until it's revealed at the next NAMM show. Bo..love the look but who can afford it. 😃.

Just say that John Good gave you the idea for the vertical strip for an additional 9% resonance in the mid to low frequencies. Soon it won't be your ghetto repair job...it will be what everyone has to have if they want DW's latest technology. Ya..thats it...John Good at DW put that on and swore me to secrecy until it's revealed at the next NAMM show. Bo..love the look but who can afford it. 😃.
Maybe I’ll bring the drum to NAMM and tell everybody it’s John’s new JAM 😂😂😂

On a related note - I want to apply a silver sparkle star to my bass drum reso head...
What's the best way to achieve it?
You can take a piece of silver sparkle and laminate it to a piece of thin cardboard to keep it rigid. Then cut some tiny three quarter inch square foam blocks and glue them to the back of your star. Then attach the star to the head so it "floats" in a three dimensional manner. Speaking of Starrs...look at Ringo's bass drum star, er Starr.

Attachments

• Ringo-Starr-photo-by-Jean-Fortunet-2011-2-1050x590.jpg
    Ringo-Starr-photo-by-Jean-Fortunet-2011-2-1050x590.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 14
In addition to the bass drum repair/re-wrap going on, my 10x14 rack tom wrap had shrunk a little and split over the years, leaving a yellow stripe of glue visible. It wasn’t critical as that split seam faces back at me and nobody could see it.

I did notice it was no longer shrinking (probably because I treat it well and it’s never exposed to the sun or heat now), so I thought I’d cover it with a strip of new silver sparkle. I also plugged the holes where the original tom mount would’ve been. Up close you can tell it’s an additional vertical strip of silver sparkle, but from a distance you can’t tell and it no longer has that very visible yellow stripe! Here’s some before and after shots:

View attachment 139736View attachment 139737View attachment 139738View attachment 139739View attachment 139740
The more Ghetto the repair, the better, sometimes. I think silver sparkle is so underrated. Nice job!

You can take a piece of silver sparkle and laminate it to a piece of thin cardboard to keep it rigid. Then cut some tiny three quarter inch square foam blocks and glue them to the back of your star. Then attach the star to the head so it "floats" in a three dimensional manner. Speaking of Starrs...look at Ringo's bass drum star, er Starr.
Apologies - missed your reply until now!
I've already had a go at a sparkling star of my own.
Masked up the star with tape, brushed on artists picture varnish, sprinkled with extra chunky glitter, then brushed with another coat of the varnish to bond the particles when the first was set.20240130_183332.jpg20240123_110846.jpg
This varnish is removable with a special, gentle, solvent.
(Edit: I considered an adhesive film - but decided nothing would catch the light quite like actual glitter.)

Last edited:
Masked up the star with tape, brushed on artists picture varnish, sprinkled with extra chunky glitter, then brushed with another coat of the varnish to bond the particles when the first was set.View attachment 143204View attachment 143205
Nice!

Masked up the star with tape, brushed on artists picture varnish, sprinkled with extra chunky glitter, then brushed with another coat of the varnish to bond the particles when the first was set.View attachment 143204View attachment 143205
(Edit: I considered an adhesive film - bought decided nothing would catch the light quite like actual glitter.)
Awesome look. The star really sets things off. Ringo would be proud 👏.

Back