80s swingstar vs 80s imperialstar

poekoelan

What are the major differences between these two lines? I'm talking about the old 80s versions, not any of the newer incarnations.

Here is what I know about them, if I miss anything please correct me or add to it.

The imperialstar was one of tama's pro lines and the swingstar was their entry level line. The imperialstar was offered in a few more size and color options, but they were both made from the same wrapped 9 ply zola coated luan shell. The snare drum shell also appears to be same.

The lugs were of a different design on both lines. The imperialstars had 10 lug bass and snare drums, the swingstars had 8 lug bass and snare drums.

Here is what I'd really like to know. Let's say we have a black five piece set of both lines in the same sizes, other than the lug differences I already mentioned, what would the major differences be?

I'm asking this because I read in an old Modern Drummer that Tama discontinued the imperialstar because the two lines were so close to each other.

If the difference between your pro line and your entry level line is just a couple of lugs, that either speaks volumes for the entry level line or it looks kind of bad for your professional line. Which is it?

Am I correct on any of this?

Thanks

If the difference between your pro line and your entry level line is just a couple of lugs, that either speaks volumes for the entry level line or it looks kind of bad for your professional line. Which is it?

Yes, I've always chuckled at that. And many big name pros used Imperial Stars to record and tour behind major albums without any real regard to what the shell was made of, or what was in (Tama ads never mentioned they type of wood in the Imperial Stars).

I think it just more goes to show that back then, drummers were not obsessed with knowing what wood, or the differences between woods, or such information. They just wanted to know if they could get a good sound and if it would hold up on the road.

I have a set of 80's imperialstars :) One of my first kits. My Dad is bringing them up to me from FL. They have been in the attic through my time in the Army, an overseas move and now a family. Once they get here I am going through them to see what I can save. When I was a kid I more liked them because I had an 11 piece kit and I felt like I was a Neil Peart.

What I do recall was that the bass drums had reso side heads. The toms were all concert toms except for the floor toms. Anyway I ended up giving away most of that kit. I think my Dad said there is a snare left. I will post some pictures when I get it all together. The kit I had was wrapped in white. Hardware was hefty! That was my first kit I gigged on a regular basis.

The differences between the two lines was some of the hardware and lugs.The shells were the same .This isn't the first example of a drum company using the same shell,for all of its lines.

Ludwig late 60's -70's Super Classic,Club Date and Standard series,all used the same exact shell.

Slingerland 60's Sound King,and Stage Band used the same exact shells.

Gretsch 50's Broadcaster and Renown used the same shells.

Rogers Holiday and Spotlight also used the same shells.

The same can be said for the Japanese big 3,as well as Premier and Sonor.

The cost cutting factor was in using less and different hardware,and a single row of center mounted double end lugs in some cases.

Steve B

Good points that I wasn't aware of: I never knew that other companies used the exact same shell in the past for all their lines. I knew the swingstars didn't have internal mufflers ( except for the snare drum ) but I didn't know the imperialstars did. Any other differences?

The price,and who endorced them.Stewart Copeland and Liberty DeVito,played Imperialstars back in the day.They were also available in lots of different configurations and sizes,and a lot more different wraps besides black or white.

They were also available as both concert toms and double headed toms.They were also add on packages available for Imperialstars.At the time,swingstars had 12/13/16/22 ,standard size,double head drums.

Steve B

Last edited:
But didn't Tama expand the swingstar line? I seem to remember ads that showed double bass multi tom sets not long before they were discontinued.

I never had any experience with imperialstars, but for over 20yrs, a swingstar was my only kit except for about a year. Swingstars had been discontinued for a while and I had to have a double bass kit. There was no internet or ebay back then, so finding ad on drums would have been hard to do. A local music store was going out of business and they had a big Rogers double bass kit with four rack toms and double braced stands. I knew it wasn't like the old Rogers and I knew it was made over seas. I expected it to be on par with my swingstars and the price was right so I bought it

First thing I noticed was the black covering wasn't as shiny and glossy as my Tamas and there was a bump in the covering on one of the bass drums, not a bubble, more like a rough spot on the shell or something between the shell and the covering. And even though the stands were double braced they weren't as beefy or sturdy as my single braced stagemasters. In less than a year one of the wingnuts on a cymbal stand stripped out and the foot board on one of the pedals cracked in half. I sold the kit and bought a double pedal and a couple used tubular toms for my swingstars.

I continued to play them ( and gig with them ) up until a few years ago when I finally built my own kit from keller shells. You could say they were heavily used and slightly abused for a long time.

They always sounded pretty good to me and I never had a single problem with anything, Not the shells or any of the hardware. They are much better built than those Rogers drums I had. I knew the Rogers kit was nothing special, but I expected it to be on par with my swings. Boy was I wrong.

I think the Imperialstars had a re-ring of some sort too. My 86 swingstar set sounds great. They sound good with any kind of head. No dead toms or tunings. I got mine new in 86. 2=22s 10 12 13 14 16.

What are the major differences between these two lines? I'm talking about the old 80s versions, not any of the newer incarnations.

Here is what I know about them, if I miss anything please correct me or add to it.

The imperialstar was one of tama's pro lines and the swingstar was their entry level line. The imperialstar was offered in a few more size and color options, but they were both made from the same wrapped 9 ply zola coated luan shell. The snare drum shell also appears to be same.

The lugs were of a different design on both lines. The imperialstars had 10 lug bass and snare drums, the swingstars had 8 lug bass and snare dums.
When the Imperialstar first came out ('74 ?), they had reinforcement rings in the shells. The Royalstar line ('75 ?) was the line below. Same shell, I do be believe, but without the reinforcement rings. Royalstar had 10 lug bass also, but the lugs were different. The speedboat lug. Same hole pattern, however, as I have some Imperialstar lugs on my Royalstar kit. But the Royalstar hardware was lighter.

Swingstar used the same straight shell as the Royalstar, but 8 lug bass and lighter hardware.

I think '82-'83 was when Tama dropped the reinforcement ring from the Imperialstar. Royalstar got a new shell (6 ply Mahogany-2 ply Shina) and lacquer, and downgraded to an 8 lug bass drum.

And Swingstar inherited the old Royalstar shell.

So .... 80's Imperialstar vs Swingstar. Probably not a whole lot of sonic difference. Mostly, the upgraded hardware on the Imperialstar is where the "pro" comes into play.

Superstars were the king. Fibrestars ???? I never seen a kit, 'cept in pictures. Imperialstar, I think, just got long in the tooth. Sure, Copeland played them. The old ones with the reinforcement rings. Then, Tama retired the Superstars and out came Artstar, Granstar and Crestar.

Last edited:
People will dump on swingstars, but the first kit i sat at was a 80's swingstar and it was amazingly warm and just nice to play.. really like those kits :)

Are Imperialstars a mahogany shell?

People will dump on swingstars, but the first kit i sat at was a 80's swingstar and it was amazingly warm and just nice to play.. really like those kits :)
The big Japanese three all did birch for their flagship kits, 70's into the 80's. Around '85, Tama came out with their first maple shell. Pearl, around the same time (I think). Yamaha was later, around '88-'89 (with the Maple Custom). Before that, if you wanted a "warmer" drum, their go to answer was Philippine Mahogany. Sometimes mixed with Camellia, Agathis, or Shina.
Are Imperialstars a mahogany shell?
The old ones, yes. 9 ply, with a Zola coated interior.

Back