New bearing edges!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
A9F433B8-49F3-4EE8-B3BB-3642EFC15092.jpegF537302D-E0C3-4A92-BD28-ABC32FD70E83.jpeg459132EB-D790-4696-813C-9A95C32B3BE9.jpeg2EF06411-8FA7-4988-9D52-C50A96DE4E63.jpeg4CC4B701-1234-431B-9D1F-41C4F0C5CBCF.jpeg
Took the silver sparkles to drum luthier Jimmy Ford (of Ford Drums, and close personal friend šŸ˜‰) and got new bearing edges cut on my 14/18/26 drums. He even cut the edges on the bass drum hoops where hoop meets head! I must say, if you have older drums that may have suffered bad quality control, have new edges installed! I brought them home and put on some Remo heads and now they SING at every tension! Iā€™m kinda diggin the higher and tighter pitches right now with a thunderous bass drum, but itā€™s nice to know the range was increased!

Of course, you guys who own new drums will probably never need this done, but for 40-year-old drums, mine totally needed them!

Ironically, my drums never do more than laying it down for Mustang Sally, but itā€™s now like a race car with RPMs hidden away under the hood. Awesome!

Attachments

• 22EEE612-E616-4D79-992F-01E329210D32.jpeg
    22EEE612-E616-4D79-992F-01E329210D32.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 9
Bo, I thought I saw these drums for sale on Facebook. Did you decide to keep them?
Yes. I got a lot of ā€œare these available?ā€ Inquiries but no real takers. But Jimmy Ford has been urging me to let him do the edges for months. So I let him do it today and it was worth it. These drums can now handle everything because of ease of tuning. Iā€™m keeping them.

Yes. I got a lot of ā€œare these available?ā€ Inquiries but no real takers. But Jimmy Ford has been urging me to let him do the edges for months. So I let him do it today and it was worth it. These drums can now handle everything because of ease of tuning. Iā€™m keeping them.

I think that is a good call. I saw your listing along with the Vox and was like "Bo is unloading!!!" I'm glad you kept these and breathed some new life into them.

Let them sing !!!!!

That sir...is clean work......and the Hoop edges?........sweet.
Where is Mr. Ford located sir. Thanks.

shocked to read you were considering selling/. All that fun we had with "Where's Bo" and stuff..

If you would (no pun) have Sold them what were the next drums/set up you might have been considering/replace them with?

Last edited:
Beautiful work! I'm glad you had that done, and I'm glad you're keeping them!

I've had edges re-cut on a few of my drums, and it is always a little surprising just how much perfect edges contributes to getting a great sound more easily.

View attachment 144596View attachment 144597View attachment 144598View attachment 144599View attachment 144601
Took the silver sparkles to drum luthier Jimmy Ford (of Ford Drums, and close personal friend šŸ˜‰) and got new bearing edges cut on my 14/18/26 drums. He even cut the edges on the bass drum hoops where hoop meets head! I must say, if you have older drums that may have suffered bad quality control, have new edges installed! I brought them home and put on some Remo heads and now they SING at every tension! Iā€™m kinda diggin the higher and tighter pitches right now with a thunderous bass drum, but itā€™s nice to know the range was increased!

Of course, you guys who own new drums will probably never need this done, but for 40-year-old drums, mine totally needed them!

Ironically, my drums never do more than laying it down for Mustang Sally, but itā€™s now like a race car with RPMs hidden away under the hood. Awesome!
Do you own one of those Ford drum thrones? I think they stopped making them? I always wanted one, they really look nice.

Okay, so first I'm gonna tease you about "drum Luthier" again (Luthier definition - maker of stringed musical instruments, from the French word for lute). šŸ¤£šŸ˜…šŸ¤£

Now that I got the ribbing out of my system, those look great! When I had Micah Doering from Cask Drums recut the edges on my Slingerland Artist snare it made a world of difference in tuning range and ease.

Good choice!

Last edited:
shocked to read you were considering selling/. All that fun we had with "Where's Bo" and stuff..

If you would (no pun) have Sold them what were the next drums/set up you might have been considering/replace them with?
I was considering a set of Jenkins Martinā€™s, but after discovering that theyā€™re not taking new orders, I thought I better hold off. Iā€™ve tried all the other wood ones so getting any of those wouldā€™ve just been a sideways move. Ludwig is such a legacy name, I probably wouldā€™ve gotten them again in smaller sizes, and still wouldā€™ve had to have gotten the edges re-done!

Okay, so first I'm gonna tease you about "drum Luther" again (Luthier definition - maker of stringed musical instruments, from the French word for lute). šŸ¤£šŸ˜…šŸ¤£

Now that I got the ribbing out of my system, those look great! When I had Micah Doering from Cask Drums recut the edges on my Slingerland Artist snare it made a world of difference in tuning range and ease.

Good choice!
It was his recommendation to have the bass drum hoops cut as well and that a big difference too. The hoops fit the head collar much better!

I'm curious as to the angle and how far inward does the edge sit. Is it the same as Ludwig uses? If different how did you decide what specs to use?

It was his recommendation to have the bass drum hoops cut as well and that a big difference too. The hoops fit the head collar much better!
Oh, you know, I forgot to mention that bit! But years ago I had Mapex kit on which I beveled the hoops by hand, using a wood rasp. It didn't look as good as yours, but it sure did help with seating.
That was a good choice on your and his part, too.

I'm curious as to the angle and how far inward does the edge sit. Is it the same as Ludwig uses? If different how did you decide what specs to use?
Yeah, it's an interesting topic. Bass drum heads and collars seem to have more variability than other heads, IME.

Neither of my Ludwig CM kits have beveled hoops. Some heads fit within them without the collar part of the mylar touching at all, while others (notably, the Aquarian head I just painted) have to be squeezed into the hoop. I can get it seated and it tunes up fine, but the mylar definitely touches before the BD hoop seats against the flesh hoop.

I wonder, with the beveled hoops, if there are head combinations in which the bevel would create too loose a fit? I doubt it, but you never know.

Yeah, it's an interesting topic. Bass drum heads and collars seem to have more variability than other heads, IME.

Neither of my Ludwig CM kits have beveled hoops. Some heads fit within them without the collar part of the mylar touching at all, while others (notably, the Aquarian head I just painted) have to be squeezed into the hoop. I can get it seated and it tunes up fine, but the mylar definitely touches before the BD hoop seats against the flesh hoop.

I wonder, with the beveled hoops, if there are head combinations in which the bevel would create too loose a fit? I doubt it, but you never know.
Maybe thatā€™s why makers got away from that. My first Slingerland kit I had as a kid back in ā€˜76 had the inside of the hoops beveled to 45 degrees which worked great with the Remo heads then, not sure it was able to accommodate other brands later.

Back