Discount Bassy

Recently, I acquired a couple of cymbals that have blown me away. Of note, I play ride cymbals more with gong mallets and closed fists for the low fundamental tones that with sticks as part of a kit ensemble. I already had a Turkish Jarrod Cagwin Atacama 20" Flat ride and the Satellite Flat Bells that I was thrilled with, but recently added a couple of Masterwork Natural Flat Rides, a 22" and 24", and was blown away. I love them. Side by side, the deep fundamental is a perfect 5th. A fist or gong mallet brings out the low tones and a lighter mallet lights up the higher harmonics without them becoming washy. The 24" is easily the most musical cymbal I own, with harmonics and overtones that mesh well enough to already start salivating for an 18" and 20" version for hand percussion accommodation for handpans and ambient soundscapes. It made me wonder about even smaller raw finish rides in the range of 12", 14" and 16", maintaining the thickness in B20. It is no simple thing to just google "flat bells" and anticipate a variety of options. It took a good bit or research down the rabbit hole just to discover the Satellite Flat Bells existed in the first place and figuring out a name to put on such a thing was a challenge. I did nab a set of Saluda Flat Bells, but they are definitely not bronze, and although hammered a bit, are likely anodized aluminum. They get in the ball park, but just barely, and will likely be swapped out for something else closer to the zone.

Anyone else digging on flat bells and flat rides recently?

'yea I've smoked a few'

Have a Killer atm
21" 2300g bosphorus laser engraved Turk..
got used/as new/ from a private seller in NY on reverb/ total score.
he knew he made a mistake letting it go but it was too late

Every time I play one I'm in love...how could you not?. The most beautiful cymbals I've ever played but they just aren't loud enough for the jobs I do damn it.

you've just scratched the surface

it's a different instrument

(and you can blow $200 on a whole lot worse)

I've never owned a flat ride and i think i might tapped one once or twice in a shop, but am intrigued by the concept. Played in a rock band years ago and was contemplating of adding a flat ride or a swish (or china with bell up) to have a more subtle ride source. Still like them, but can't see myself using one when playing heavy metal ;)

My first ride was a 19" Masterwork Verve (lathed on bottom, unlathed on top) with rivets. While I have added three more (belled) rides I still lust after the flats. Really appreciate hearing your experience with the Natural series, I have wondered about the big flats for a while.

K Custom 20” I’ve had for 20 years and no intention of getting rid of, it has served me well. I usually use it as a far left ride when I have it up.

I borrowed a Zildjian flat ride one night to try it out and found it just wasn't loud enough to cut a rock gig. I don't know how Charlie Watts managed with one for so many years.

Flat ride like what Carter Beauford plays next to his regular ride?

I noticed that his flat ride's volume is almost non-existent. Is this a characteristic of not having a bell? Or was that just bad mixing?

I had the flat ride setup yesterday. If this were my hh stand, I have the pole chopped off but this still works. I've always had it as aux ride, there is nothing else that sounds like it, great for softer dynamics as it is lower volume with no bell and flatter profile. They are easy to play, give a generous bounce and have a wide sweet spot. Its got a nice shank...if a cymbal on a stand then it going to get both ride'd and crashed'. Lot of people rivet their flats but I've got several riveted already and they have a nice sustain when open, so usually a short sizzler is preferred and then take it off when I don't want it; the few times I prefer a sizzle to rivet.

IMG_2011 Large.jpeg

I borrowed a Zildjian flat ride one night to try it out and found it just wasn't loud enough to cut a rock gig. I don't know how Charlie Watts managed with one for so many years.
I've heard that it wasn't so much a volume thing, but a frequency thing.

With the Stones' music, nothing else on stage was in that particular frequency range as his flat ride, so it sat perfectly in the mix; being heard but not slicing through the band.

Another vote for Paiste 602 flat 18"

I have a thin ( with rivet ). Smokey as hell. It has zero hum and great stick definition with a beautiful crash with no gonginess

Here it is in action
* theres a cheeky UFIP china splash 12" in there too

I picked up a zildhian K flat as a backup but it didnt have that character I fell in love with

They are certainly not for loud settings and lack the variety of tones across the bow ( nether mind the bell ) but Its so classy

Last edited:
Back