You guys make me glad I chose drums…

Mr. Baker: But since you’ve made your mind already I want you to know that THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF! (This last part still echoes in my mind.)

And he stormed off leaving me severely admonished, maybe it was rightful; but it sure made me realize the support he had for me.
In no universe, would that ever be rightful....

The band director my freshman year of high school pulled crap like the a more on kids - and as it turned out me in particular. Ending in a major blow-up - parents/teacher... parents/principal (backed teacher 1000%).... finally parents/district superintendent (who ended up royally peeved by their behavior).

I was really looking to be very involved in music in HS - but even the Superintendent believed that school had been poisoned for me. Luckily there was another high school in the district, only a few blocks further in the opposite direction (I really caught a break there) - and so he immediately arranged a transfer for me.

The next three years at that new school ended up being everything that I could have hoped for - they had just started a jazz band (this was 1970), did musicals with live orchestra every year, had a basically jazz choir that used a live trio... basically just a very supportive atmosphere... so I did tons of playing, started writing, had some musical leadership opportunities... it was pretty darn perfect. For which basically, I thank my parents for to this day...

In no universe, would that ever be rightful....

The band director my freshman year of high school pulled crap like the a more on kids - and as it turned out me in particular. Ending in a major blow-up - parents/teacher... parents/principal (backed teacher 1000%).... finally parents/district superintendent (who ended up royally peeved by their behavior).

I was really looking to be very involved in music in HS - but even the Superintendent believed that school had been poisoned for me. Luckily there was another high school in the district, only a few blocks further in the opposite direction (I really caught a break there) - and so he immediately arranged a transfer for me.

The next three years at that new school ended up being everything that I could have hoped for - they had just started a jazz band (this was 1970), did musicals with live orchestra every year, had a basically jazz choir that used a live trio... basically just a very supportive atmosphere... so I did tons of playing, started writing, had some musical leadership opportunities... it was pretty darn perfect. For which basically, I thank my parents for to this day...
Sorry I deleted my original post.

I hear you, it’s no excuse for the behavior.

Unfortunately, I grew up in a small town and there wasn’t another school for 20+ miles.
With him at the helm, we were a perennial area winners and often went far in regionals to where we placed 1st a few times as entire unit in Class 2A state, our last with him as director was 02. My first and second year as Jr. then Sr., us in the percussion department took WTAC (West Texas Auxiliary Championships) we got 1s across the board.

I wasn’t a quitter though I wanted to, but I roughed it out, I didn’t seem to get acknowledged while I was playing the T-bone, when I did make state 3rd chair 1st part, he begrudgingly congratulated me. Band became a numbing routine during this time, and was often bad vibes going to class especially within my own conscience.

Different story when I joined the drum line, he gave me an awful lot of praise, some I felt uncomfortably unwarranted as he talked me up quite a bit.

——-
Here it is, see below.

To original question
…to not make gigging hassles or make a career from it.

wait...you got to choose?
Ah man traumatic times for me.
I didn’t - in 5th grade I was voluntold there would be a spot for me in the snare line.

I didn’t exactly enjoy snare, so in 7th grade I went to trombone finishing middle school. By the time we were heading to high school, the band director wanted me back in percussion, so I mulled going back to drums for my freshman year.

Was at H.S. registration with my mom, going in 9th grade, when we were leaving the band director pulled me aside.
I had a bad feeling because it was now one on one with my mom continuing outside, she probably thought it was going to be joyful banter betwixt he and I.
I didn’t want to play percussion in band, and already came to terms with more years in trombone, I’d gone to All Region every year, and was wanting to go to State as I felt I had a chance.

First thing he asks, “you ready for marching band this year?”
Me: ….yea I guess so
Mr. Baker: well I just purchased new Pearl equipment, all black drums for the line, I even got new tenors that have 6 drums on them.
Me: … I was actually wanting to play trombone and thought I’d have a chance to make try outs for state
Mr. Baker: …..(seemingly an eternity he stares at me with low brow, I knew it was coming as he started momentous breathing)…. Well I wish you would have told me sooner, because this stuff wasn’t cheap and I actually wanted you to play the hex.
Me: …I’m sorry I didn’t realize - (before I could get more words in)
Mr. Baker: But since you’ve made your mind already I want you to know that THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF! (This last part still echoes in my mind.)

And he stormed off leaving me severely admonished, maybe it was rightful; but it sure made me realize the support he had for me.

Making TMEA Area A 1 of 2 years for Ensemble and Jazz - 1st part trombone.

I went back to drum in Jr. and Senior years and he was like, I’ve been waiting for this!
We started Jazz band that year as a Jr., and amicably, I left to blow off my final senior semester during concert season.

At the end of it all, we became great friends he recommended me to my gig at the Music Store to which I’d still see him on his weekend errands, sometimes we’d hang out.
Yea he was a high standards type guy, and was perennially placing in the top 1 or 2 (usually 1st) in our area and regional competitions.

Good. Now give me your lunch money 🤣.
I should clarify. I was sent to Catholic school and we didnt have band. When we moved and I finally went to public school, I was way too far behind to be in band.

Everything musical I have ever learned has either been private instruction, asking other musicians, or figuring it out on my own.

I feel the same way about the group here. We (most of us in the school i went to,) didn't get to choose our instruments in school either. We were to consider ourselves lucky to be in the class at all. I applied myself and that middle school music education laid a fine foundation that I have been able to build on ever since.

I chose drums at 4 years old, after dad taught me how to play

I went to a small experimental community middle school. I was the only drummer in the little hodge-podge band there for 5th - 8th grade. The director rarely said anything to me I think he was afraid of me quitting.

in high school, my band director openly hated drummers.... he was a motivation for me to go into teaching to NOT be like him. When we won the first drumline trophy the school ever won - my junior year - he refused to let them announce it at school, and did not put the trophy on the awards table at the end of year banquet. We were not allowed to do solo and ensemble because "only real musicians can do that"

despite him, band was a blast, and it shaped my future life 1000%

Drums chose me. I was born with a desire to hit things. Guitar lessons didn’t work out, obviously. 😉

I chose drums at 4 years old, after dad taught me how to play

I went to a small experimental community middle school. I was the only drummer in the little hodge-podge band there for 5th - 8th grade. The director rarely said anything to me I think he was afraid of me quitting.

in high school, my band director openly hated drummers.... he was a motivation for me to go into teaching to NOT be like him. When we won the first drumline trophy the school ever won - my junior year - he refused to let them announce it at school, and did not put the trophy on the awards table at the end of year banquet. We were not allowed to do solo and ensemble because "only real musicians can do that"

despite him, band was a blast, and it shaped my future life 1000%

I wonder if anyone has ever set him straight. I volunteer

I’m glad I went with bass and guitar, but I do enjoy drums and I like most of the folks here.

I think I preserved the illusion of choice when i started playing drums in school based band...but i'm not so sure my biology allowed otherwise.

I wonder if anyone has ever set him straight. I volunteer

probably not. He moved on to a school that did not have a real big marching band, and just sort of did concert band and jazz band only. It is like he took himself out of the situation where he would have to deal with drummers at that level. I can imagine that the drummers he had took the same kind of crap. HHe was probably one o those directors who always wondered why he did not have enough drummers for band

probably not. He moved on to a school that did not have a real big marching band, and just sort of did concert band and jazz band only. It is like he took himself out of the situation where he would have to deal with drummers at that level. I can imagine that the drummers he had took the same kind of crap. HHe was probably one o those directors who always wondered why he did not have enough drummers for band

He sounds like he had some emotional issues he never learned to address.

Play guitar. :D
At a jam this week I sat talking to a pretty drunk girl all night. Someone Interrupted us late pointing out that there was no drummer and asked me to play. After playing a few songs I sat back by her and she said, "You're back. thought you left." Lol. I saw her swaying to the songs while we were playing so she was into it.

Not long after, the band was trying to figure out Cover Me Up by Jason Isbel. I sorta new the guitar part and jumped up to play along. The same girl came running up to me at the end pulling on my shoulder talking about the song.

Oh well. I had my guitar chance at 15 when the family put 1 in my hands. I always wanted to play drums though. Shoulda done it before 26 years old.

Back