Yamaha Stage Custom Detuning quicker?

basset52

Hi All, I am considering buying a used Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 3 piece circa 2008. I will look at in a couple of days. My current set is a mid 80's Tama Swingstar set I bought following retirement 18 months ago when I came back to drumming after a 40 year layoff. I have no experience with Yamaha but I have researched the DW forum pretty thoroughly and so I have no doubts about the drum set quality for my needs ( hobbyist drummer who jams with a few other old blokes every couple of weeks). I thought I read somewhere when I was doing my research on th eDW forum re the SC's that the SC's detune a bit more readily than other kits. I have tried searching to see if I can find the thread again but can't. Even if it is true it won't be a deal breaker for me, I can live with it .I just want to know wether I read it somewhere or imagined I did( my wife often says I suffer from selective memory!) Can you SC owners offer an opinion on this detuning question from your experience. Any truth or not?
Thank you in anticipation.

They do de-tune very fast. I was teaching at a school that had a 2012 SC kit and I had to tune at least once or twice during the day. But, they sound good and a few LugLocks solved the issue.

luglock2.jpg

Hi All, I am considering buying a used Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 3 piece circa 2008. I will look at in a couple of days. My current set is a mid 80's Tama Swingstar set I bought following retirement 18 months ago when I came back to drumming after a 40 year layoff. I have no experience with Yamaha but I have researched the DW forum pretty thoroughly and so I have no doubts about the drum set quality for my needs ( hobbyist drummer who jams with a few other old blokes every couple of weeks). I thought I read somewhere when I was doing my research on th eDW forum re the SC's that the SC's detune a bit more readily than other kits. I have tried searching to see if I can find the thread again but can't. Even if it is true it won't be a deal breaker for me, I can live with it .I just want to know wether I read it somewhere or imagined I did( my wife often says I suffer from selective memory!) Can you SC owners offer an opinion on this detuning question from your experience. Any truth or not?
Thank you in anticipation.

More so when they're new, the metal is shiny, not high tolerance cuz its a cheap set. When they age the chrome starts to degrade, rust happens, and its theses things help the rods from turning out- detuning.

If its a good deal I wouldn't let the possibility of loose tension rods stop you, an easy fix if.

Back