what to do with unwanted cymbals?

Years ago, I had one that had an ugly patina... it was warped and probably cracked. I had an uncle drill holes in it and then we installed rivets. It was really trashy with sizzle, lol. I wish I still had it.

I gave my broken cymbals away. Or have them remade into shapes like this:

View attachment 143771
I dubbed it ''the spark'', because of its shape and sound (between a china and crash).

But even this cracked over time (this is also why I don’t do anything cymbals with holes again ever).

I only keep what I play. If I don't like a cymbal after purchase 9a rarity for me anyway) its gets sold directly again.
That’s an angry looking cymbal!

I gave my broken cymbals away. Or have them remade into shapes like this:

View attachment 143771
I dubbed it ''the spark'', because of its shape and sound (between a china and crash).

But even this cracked over time (this is also why I don’t do anything cymbals with holes again ever).

I only keep what I play. If I don't like a cymbal after purchase 9a rarity for me anyway) its gets sold directly again.
At least it is symmetrical - it's the random scoop out of a repaired cymbal that's so ugly.
Why did you have to make the cutouts so huge though? The crack can't have been THAT long, surely?

At least it is symmetrical - it's the random scoop out of a repaired cymbal that's so ugly.
Why did you have to make the cutouts so huge though? The crack can't have been THAT long, surely?
I didn’t make it.

That was the repair man.

And he did this because even if you can’t see a crack with they eye, it cracks microscopically some bit further.

So to prevent hidden cracking, he made sure it was cut way above that part.

And because of this, it got its distinctive look too.

I might have him make a larger one (I believe this was a 16”) from another left over cymbal, as I gave him my old cracked cymbal stack.

I didn’t make it.

That was the repair man.

And he did this because even if you can’t see a crack with they eye, it cracks microscopically some bit further.

So to prevent hidden cracking, he made sure it was cut way above that part.

And because of this, it got its distinctive look too.

I might have him make a larger one (I believe this was a 16”) from another left over cymbal, as I gave him my old cracked cymbal stack.
I’d be afraid I was going to cut off my hand with a cymbal like that!

I once had a rather large number of cymbals accumulated from second hand drum kits etc.

I gave them all away to a little ma and pa drumming school just down the road.

They were just so appreciative and very excited going through all my hardware, cymbals etc.

These kids often have nothing and can't afford to have any half decent stuff.

It also gives you the warm-and-tingly feeling in the cockles of your heart.

Unless I was having metabolic complications about something else at the time 🤔

- Sell them
- Throw them out
- Give them away.
- Experiment, and hack them up to create something cool, (or not).
- Frisbee them off a bridge.
- Run over them with a vehicle.
- Throw them on a fire.
- Yell at them about how they've done you wrong.
- Seal up the centre hole and pan for gold.
- Dress them up with clothes and talk to them
- Apply some weird chemical you *acquired" to see 'what happens'.
- Honestly... The list is endless.

Have fun 🙂

Last edited:
Back