Weight of bass drum for storage

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Hi,

I am going to purchase some storage racking for a small garage. I want to store my giging kit (drums only) on one of the racks bays. My current band circumstances mean I have to load in and out twice a week and want to keep things reasonably organised and efficient for load in out.

So my question is does anyone on here know the weight of a kit and particularly the weight of a kick drum. All my drums are cased (hardcase brand). Ultimately I want to order racking just over specification but not so far over that I am wasting money.

Any help much appreciated.

Captain Bash

What diameter is the bass drum? And what material is it made of? How many ply is the shell? You can easily find the shipping weight of a similar bass drum on one of those musical instrument web stores and then decide on what kind of rack you need.

I have never seen an issue with standard storage racks holding bass drums. I store 3 kits with 3 bass drums on the top shelfs of two portable storage racks of the snap together home improvement type type. 18"x36"x72".
I keep the hardware bags on the lover shelves to help with stability. The shelves aren't tippy even if I remove the hardware bags with the other drums still on the upper shelves.

Thanks for the replies, the kit is Yamaha maple custom absolute nouveau (MCAN) in universal sizes, about 10 years old. Bass drum is 22" by about 16 or 17 (can't recall and have never measured). Nothing fancy or overly heavy 7 pr 6 ply shells, medium light weight in my books.

Sounds like std racking will work.

If you are worried about the shelve rack tipping over you can anchor it to a wall with some plastic pipe straps or the like.

If you Google "steel shelves" you will likely find a plethora of choices. Here in the USA, you can find a steel rack for about $60:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/21685762?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227016992895&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40873595192&wl4=aud-261800281660:pla-78766078712&wl5=9028844&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=21685762&wl13=&veh=sem

I have some shelving like this myself. Great shelving as long as you don't mind the industrial look. Weight is no issue -- shelves of this type are typically rated to 4000 lbs total and 500 lbs per shelf. You can adjust the shelf spacing to suit your desires, even omitting a shelf if that's what works for you.

Back