Tips for setting a Roland kit

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Hi guys,
I just bought a second hand Roland TD-11 and started using it for band rehearsal.
I’m not new to electro kits but never quite got into it.
I tend to hit hard and I don’t get the response I‘m waiting on the snare essentially and the ride. I tried to fuss with the pad settings but finally got lost into it ! Sound curve, sensitivity, threshold,… all those terms don’t speak to me. It seems easier on my beloved acoustic kit ! The strokes are the strokes !
Starting from factory settings, what would the adjustment be to come closer to an acoustic sound response for a heavy hitter ?
I thank you very much !

Last edited:
Stop hitting so hard for a start. You have a volume knob! Edrums are not acoustic drums - completely different instrument with a passing resemblance - but do much more and are more flexible, both in sound and playing technique and don't have to limited to being a pretend 1958 acoustic kit.

Beyond that all the settings will only work for you and your style of playing (and, indeed, even the music) it's going to be impossible on a forum to work out your playing style and suggest setting "x" should be set to "y" :) If you smack the cr*p of edrums for example, you'll want to dial down the gain/sensitivity to suit, other each hit will just register at 127 (out of 127) so everything will be a bit one-dimensional.

In the meantime read the manual which will define what all the settings do. Happy to help with specific Qs.

Have fun :)

To be fair with myself, I don't thrash the kit either, I play with a lot of dynamic, but it's only pop rock :D. But for instance, the snare (PDX8) only gives me rimshot even if I don't play the rim, the same goes for the ride which gives me the bell almost continuously.
I'll try to drop the sensitivity to four and give a try. Maybe change the curve on the snare too.
Practice at home with the electro and playing with the band is very different in term of dynamics.

"the snare (PDX8) only gives me rimshot even if I don't play the rim, the same goes for the ride which gives me the bell almost continuously."

- Crosstalk / rejection options.

"Practice at home with the electro and playing with the band is very different in term of dynamics."

- yes, because are completely different instruments. The synth behind me now is a totally different dynamic instrument to a Steinway grand (but can do so much more.... :)

Yeah, as advised.
I've found hitting e-drums anything above medium velocity is a recipe for disaster.
If you play lighter usually the factory default settings work pretty well. But yeah, as above, refine your crosstalk and sensitivity settings.
Acoustic drums are easier to play and more forgiving, e-drums IME demand more precise dynamics.

Yeah, as advised.
I've found hitting e-drums anything above medium velocity is a recipe for disaster.
If you play lighter usually the factory default settings work pretty well. But yeah, as above, refine your crosstalk and sensitivity settings.
Acoustic drums are easier to play and more forgiving, e-drums IME demand more precise dynamics.
Don't forget to play with velocity curves. Many people ignore these and it's very important to pick what works for your playing styles :)

Back