The 10 Best Singing Drummers In Rock History (Article)

Has anyone mentioned Grady Tate yet? Played with the likes of Ella, Duke, Basie and Paul Simon, and the voice of several Schoolhouse Rock classics (amongst many others, of course).

Here’s a couple of icons that I’d say laid the modern era foundation for band leading drummers who sang.

Dave Clark of The Dave Clark 5
Gary Lewis of Gary Lewis and the Playboys

Drumming was great as well, nothing like the tightness of DC’s snare fill, or Gary’s open booming bass drum sound.

Even Ray Sawyer of Dr. Hook was a solid percussionist.

Last edited:
Here’s a couple of icons that I’d say laid the modern era foundation for band leading drummers who sang.

Dave Clark of The Dave Clark 5
Gary Lewis of Gary Lewis and the Playboys

Drumming was great as well, nothing like the tightness of DC’s snare fill, or Gary’s open booming bass drum sound.

Even Ray Sawyer of Dr. Hook was a solid percussionist.
Gary is a friend of mine and so is his band. But Gary never played drums in the studio, and long ago switched to rhythm guitar. However, the perception was that he played drums and he did gig and sing on drums. Dave I don't think sang many leads, but he was the clear leader and sang lots of BG's. I'll allow both.

:D

I'm very disappointed not to see Colin Bailey listed as one of the top singing drummers, though. His vocal in the bridge of Happy Kyne and the Mirthmakers' hit "Boogie Fever" is classic:

I’ve seen Levon Helm at the top of these kinds of list. Never understood the accolades. There’s many on this list and others mentioned here where the their voices stand out.
Oh well, some folks love Dylan’s voice. Variety is the spice of life.

I’ve seen Levon Helm at the top of these kinds of list. Never understood the accolades. There’s many on this list and others mentioned here where the their voices stand out.
Oh well, some folks love Dylan’s voice. Variety is the spice of life.
Levon had a great voice. Just because he doesn't sing high doesn't mean he can't sing.

Jimmy Marinos (The Romantics) kept a great feeling groove while singing lead.
Stephen Jo Bladd (The J Geils Band) never sang lead that I'm aware of but he sang consistent background vocals while shuffling and filling like a monster.

Anyone from the New Orleans area would list Fred Leblanc of Cowboy Mouth. Not only a great singer and drummer, but an incredible front man. If Cowboy Mouth ever comes to your neighborhood, you’ve got to experience his high-energy, maniacal performance. Oh and he also plays barefoot… I guess he has no trouble gripping the pedals.

Stephen Jo Bladd (The J Geils Band) never sang lead that I'm aware of but he sang consistent background vocals while shuffling and filling like a monster.
He sang lead on a handful of songs on the album they put out after Peter Wolf quit/was fired (and talk about an all-time own goal).

Levon above Collins and Henley???? uhhhh No. Henley by far the greatest singing Drummer ever

I guess much of it comes down to the question of which part of the equation is more important, the singing or the playing?

I greatly, greatly, greatly prefer the music of The Band and Genesis over The Eagles, but Henley probably has the best voice of those three. Which isn't meant to be a knock against either of them; Don Henley simply has one of the truly great rock and roll voices ever, with excellent range, fantastic pitch, and that gritty soulfulness. (Although I'm not sure, pre-cancer, that Levon's far behind on any of those qualities.) But he's also by leaps and bounds and light-years the least good drummer of the three. He's absolutely fine. He's certainly a proficient drummer who understands the importance of playing for the song. And it's no insult to say someone doesn't have the chops that Collins did. But he also doesn't come close to the feel Levon did.

I guess much of it comes down to the question of which part of the equation is more important, the singing or the playing?

I greatly, greatly, greatly prefer the music of The Band and Genesis over The Eagles, but Henley probably has the best voice of those three. Which isn't meant to be a knock against either of them; Don Henley simply has one of the truly great rock and roll voices ever, with excellent range, fantastic pitch, and that gritty soulfulness. (Although I'm not sure, pre-cancer, that Levon's far behind on any of those qualities.) But he's also by leaps and bounds and light-years the least good drummer of the three. He's absolutely fine. He's certainly a proficient drummer who understands the importance of playing for the song. And it's no insult to say someone doesn't have the chops that Collins did. But he also doesn't come close to the feel Levon did.
I wouldn't make the mistake of confusing what Henley decided to record with what he was capable of. Decisions were made, as they say. There was an aesthetic.

Phil Collins and Don Henley have gradually evolved their drumming, which has become simpler over the years. As if the fact of asserting themselves as singer-songwriters (and becoming a frontman) placed the drums in the background, to take a back seat to the singer... From my point of view, their playing became progressively stiffer and simpler as the 80's progressed. I like their vocal timbres (which have grown richer over the years), but as a drummer I'm more impressed by their performance in the seventies.

Back