Tennis racket grips?

Cedwico

I've seen a couple of drummers play with some sort of grip around their sticks on the handle end. Are they produced by 'Ahead' or something else? Does anyone here use them? You get the gist with all the questions, right? Good! Answer some for me!

:)

Most stick manufactures offer some sort of grip tape and yes, tennis racket tape is as good or better, definitely a lot cheaper.

Reduces shock, increases stick diameter and may improve grip. Tape gets stinky after awhile and might interfere with cross sticking.

I think what you are referring to are "overgrips", and are used for tennis, badminton, and all other racquet sports. They are very thin, absorb lots of sweat, easy to apply and remove, and give a good grip without stickiness.They cost about US$1 per racquet.

I use them on all my tennis and badminton racquets, but never thought about it for my drum sticks.

Tennis grip tape can be picked up at almost any sporting goods store and you should be able to wrap a pair of stick with one wrap. Allot cheaper than the stuff sold in music stores and it does the same job ;-)

I used it for a while but it hardly makes a difference to me. Obviously I notice the increased diameter and slightly better grip, but I don't need either of them.

At first I used tennis grip ,then I changed to tennis overgrip .
Is much cheaper and less spongy

I have tried every kind of drum stick grip invention on the market.
The best one for me is tennis racket grip tape. The one I like is this one. Not sticky but perfect.
(I use an un-wrapped stick for cross sticking.)
Try it, you'll like it.

100_1088.JPG

Last edited:
For a long time I used Plastic-Dip for my sticks. It's the products used to put on tool handles for grip. It can be thinned, brushed on, sticks dipped in the can, etc. Try some. It lasts a long time.

Tennis grip tape can be picked up at almost any sporting goods store and you should be able to wrap a pair of stick with one wrap. Allot cheaper than the stuff sold in music stores and it does the same job ;-)
I buy some at Walmart whenever I have to play outside in the fall. I have Raynaud's syndrome and my hands go numb really easy so the grip type helps

Gaffers tape works well. Kind of like duct tape but not as sticky. Available where all gaffers shop, and a 6" roll will wrap a thousand sticks, give or take a couple hundred based on how thick you put it on.

Gaffers tape works well. Kind of like duct tape but not as sticky. Available where all gaffers shop, and a 6" roll will wrap a thousand sticks, give or take a couple hundred based on how thick you put it on.

This! ^^
Gaff tape is essential in your "rescue kit". Solves a lot of other issues too.

The Plasti-Dip stuff works pretty well. Comes in a myriad of colors & you can make the handle as thick or thin as you want.

I think what you are referring to are "overgrips", and are used for tennis, badminton, and all other racquet sports. They are very thin, absorb lots of sweat, easy to apply and remove, and give a good grip without stickiness.They cost about US$1 per racquet.

I use them on all my tennis and badminton racquets, but never thought about it for my drum sticks.
There are a lot of tennis overgrips available in the market, every overgrip has its own pros & cons. Kindly recommend some of the best ones especially for sweaty hands. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm a big Fan of using Tennis Grips for sticks when I use a wrapped stick. My problem wasn't a sweaty hands issue, i might be lucky in that i don't have that issue. Mine was more of hand fatigue and using a more loose open grip. Once I got my chops back up and worked out the hand fatigue issue, i was able to go back to using non-wrapped sticks. but every now and then i like to pull them out for the rock band stuff I did/do and an insurance to not dropping sticks.

with that said, I like the Easton brand. The beauty of using these is they're cheaper and can wrap more sticks. I bought a three roll like Hollywood Jim and was able to wrap three pairs of sticks, you just have to get a little creative with the tape they include to jeep the wrap down. They're super comfortable and if your stick lasts long enough the grip wears down a little to an almost felt feel and still give you plenty of grip. When you go to the store they put a piece of the grip on the outside of the package so you can feel it's tacky level without having to buy and there are many brands, styles, levels of tackiness, and colors and available pretty much anywhere and that can be a big thing if you're at a gig for some reason need some and you're not close to a music store. The only thing you have to account for is the fact that the tennis grip is thicker than normal drumstick grips. So if you play a 5B, once you wrap it, the stick could get up to just under a 2B. Which for me isn't an issue because I like 2B diameter but don't always want 2B weight. So that could be an adjustment.

I've also used a brand called Gamma, but that was because I wanted some Camo print grips. If you want pics I can show you pics.

I hope that helps.

Back