Show off your TAMA !

I picked up this TAMA Superstar Classic Maple in January of this year, less than 10 months after buying my very first kit, an Imperialstar.

I was amazed at the difference in weight, with the Superstar being much lighter than I had expected. Not that I plan on schlepping it around but certainly beneficial when rearranging stuff.

TSSC_02.jpg

TSSC_03.jpg

TSSC_TOM_MOUNT.jpg

TSSC_Driver.jpg

TSSC_LED.jpg

I need to spend more time playing it.

Last edited:
I picked this TAMA Superstar Classic Maple in January of this year, less than 10 months after buying my very first kit, an Imperialstar.

I was amazed at the difference in weight, with the Superstar being much lighter than I had expected. Not that I plan on schlepping it around but certainly beneficial when rearranging stuff.

View attachment 122639

View attachment 122640

View attachment 122641

View attachment 122642

View attachment 122643

Nice finish! 👌

I picked this TAMA Superstar Classic Maple in January of this year, less than 10 months after buying my very first kit, an Imperialstar.

View attachment 122639

View attachment 122640

View attachment 122641

View attachment 122642

View attachment 122643

Sweet. Really like the finish. How do the Paiste PST7 Cymbals sound with your kit? I like the PST7 sound.

Sweet. Really like the finish. How do the Paiste PST7 Cymbals sound with your kit? I like the PST7 sound.
I think they sound very good to me. That said, I only have one other set to compare them to in real life; the Meinel HCSs that came with the Imperialstar which were pretty poor.

I recently went to this 2 hour meet and greet drum clinic. The drummer was representing a major drum company other than TAMA. I looked closely at the huge drum setup and on the left side I saw something familiar. I went closer and surprise, it was this TAMA tray where the drummer has put some accessories.

Looks like TAMA has something to offer even if you do not play TAMA. My own kit is Gretsch but I have a cow bell holder and a steel snare drum from TAMA.

Hmm, looks like I neglected to add my kit to this thread. Easily rectified.
20230604_125533.jpgbigcrash.jpg20230604_125426.jpg

It’s been a long time since I’ve owned any Tama drums. The last set I had was a beautiful 1982 Superstar in 13-16-24 sizes. It was in my possession from 2012-2015.

The highlight of my ownership of that set was being able to take it down to Jerry Jenkins to play in the final few weeks of his life. He had mentioned on another forum that a Superstar set in the natural finish was the one that had eluded him in his youth. I made the offer to bring mine to him to use as long as he wanted, and I’m truly grateful he accepted.

I didn’t get the chance to know Jerry for very long, but his impact still resonates with me to this day, and I will treasure our brief friendship forever. When I brought the drums down to him, Jerry was too weak to sit up from laying down on the couch. We talked about all things drums as I set the Supes up for him right in his living room, where he could see them. I was there for maybe a couple of hours before I could sense Jerry was getting tired and it felt like the right time to head home.

Later that day, Jerry messaged me telling me he was so inspired by the Superstars that he not only was able to sit up, but actually got about 10 minutes of playing time in! He sent me these pictures from that afternoon. They are among my most cherished, and whenever I need my spirits lifted, I’ll have a quick look at them to see Jerry doing what he loved to do.

After he passed, I couldn’t really bring myself to use them anymore. It was just too close and deep an experience for me to handle. They are in the hands of someone now who knows the story and will be keeping them long term.

IMG_0186.jpeg

IMG_0185.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome. You thoughts on it please? (Sound wise).
What have you done to it? (head choice, snare choice, etc)
Stock heads all around w/ a 5" port in bass drum resonant head. Well worth the asking price. Very nice birch style punch.

Beautiful kit 😍
Just one remark : no "Made In Japan" label on the badges.
If all you do is look at badges and where something is made, you probably shouldn't buy this kit.

Back