Pork Pie Hip Gig vs C&C Player Date vs Ludwig Club Date 2016

LittleLegs

It's another comparison thread - sorry. (I asked a related question about centre lug placement which has had some interesting feedback.)

So, I'm in the market for something warm and 'vintage' looking and sounding. These kits have different woods and price points I know, but they are all aiming in the same direction. Does anyone have any experience and thoughs about these? Which would you go for and why? Thanks!

The Pork Pie Hipgig with the right heads and tuning has a nice warm but punchy sound, loud and clean and just under a grand to buy.

It's another comparison thread - sorry. (I asked a related question about centre lug placement which has had some interesting feedback.)

So, I'm in the market for something warm and 'vintage' looking and sounding. These kits have different woods and price points I know, but they are all aiming in the same direction. Does anyone have any experience and thoughs about these? Which would you go for and why? Thanks!

Watching this thread with interest...

I'm also interesteded in the new club dates but none of my local GCs have them (sadly, the only option around here) and the only video I've seen demoing them is here. More of a teaser than anything.

Slightly off topic, but some sellers on eBay are featuring a ruby red strata finish which is not listed as an option on Ludwig's site (limited edition/exclusive?) and in my opinion looks great.

I'm also interesteded in the new club dates but none of my local GCs have them (sadly, the only option around here) and the only video I've seen demoing them is here. More of a teaser than anything.

That demo video is unbelievable! The drums sound like cardboard boxes.
No, wait, I can get cardboard boxes to sound better.

That demo video is unbelievable! The drums sound like cardboard boxes.
No, wait, I can get cardboard boxes to sound better.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think the tone captured in that vid is really a strong selling point, but I will reserve judgment until I can play them myself or some better demos come online.

I'm following this thread too. I like the idea of the vintage look and sound.

I love my 63' Slingerland kit !!!

The Club Date kits I've see are hard to find unless you want to go the used route. Even there you'll spend well over a thousand smackaroos for a three piece shell pack.

That demo video is unbelievable! The drums sound like cardboard boxes. No, wait, I can get cardboard boxes to sound better.

I was thinking the very same thing! It's great that shops can reach more customers by putting demos on YouTube, but why do so many of them not bother to tune the kits or check the audio. (The worst are the shops that demo with close miking, reverb, compression and EQ - how's that supposed to help?)

I have heard great things about the Club Date our own Bermuda uses a kit for his local gigs. Haven't personally tried them out.

I have had a quick go at the store on a Hip Pig kit, really nice vintage-esque tone. IMHO a new kit wont get you all of that vintage sound but some kits can get pretty close. I was about to jump on a red/gold duco one that was at my local GC for 7 bills but I found my vintage Rogers kit.

This demo sounds a little better than boxs.

http://youtu.be/5XYoJYfZtuU

While I do agree that does sound MUCH better, it's for the older club dates from 2012 (e.g., club date SE). Not entirely sure, but I think those may now be discontinued. There have been numerous positive threads on those here and elsewhere.

The first video, though, is for the 2016 club dates which are USA-made, maple-poplar-maple shells, and have imperial lugs. All that would seem like a winning combination (and probably is), but, again, that video is not doing them any favors.

Guitar Center has the Black Gold duco Hip Pig 20/12/16 on sale for 599$.

I was shopping the Hip Pig and a Tama B/B kit this weekend. I ultimately picked up the Tama B/B, but I figured I'd let you know about the sale!

That'd make it a no-brainer for me. I like the sound the Hip Pig produces, and for that price it's a steal.

It was almost for me too, but the ship date was pushed to 5/23 because I waited while still looking for the Tama B/B that I really wanted and eventually bought. But yeah I hope someone scoops up one of those kits! 599$ is a great price!

Guitar Center has the Black Gold duco Hip Pig 20/12/16 on sale for 599$.

I was shopping the Hip Pig and a Tama B/B kit this weekend. I ultimately picked up the Tama B/B, but I figured I'd let you know about the sale!

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for that Tama BB kit?

What's the configuration of your new Tama. Just curious. Maybe post some pics?

22x16, 16x16, 12x8
I got it from FedEx on Tuesday but haven't had time to set it up. I will be setting it up tonight. Ill take pics and start a new thread tomorrow.

I do have a picture of the boxes though :)

IMG_2210.jpg

Last edited:
Back