Need Help w/ Traditional Grip Finger Control

I'm brand new here, AND brand new to ( maybe) trying to play drums.

(note: I'm a guitar player who has been hanging around too much with a few really good jazz/funk drummers in a '70's soul band project)

Just a practice pad now, and soon, a snare drum. It may never go farther than this, but that's OK!

I'm literally just working on the first 3, or 4 rudiments from 'Stick Control' book + watching videos on playing these and the grips. Weeks now.
My question is,
I've been working on these exercises 50/50 using both grips, back and forth, and I actually feel more comfortable with the LH Traditional Grip. I think it's a jazz thing...
Is it dumb for me, or bad technique to be switching back and forth?
Should I commit to just either Matched or Traditional. Work on Control and speed with only one?
Appreciate any wisdom here! Thanks
This could be helpful!

This could be helpful!
Thanks, will check out

I have the 'Stick Control' book (using practice pad) and will be getting.a (very!) used, cheap snare drum from a drum buddy, later in the week.

Plan ( as I'm in an apartment) is to try working with brushes & snare at home.

I really can't go beyond this (as far as gear), for a while, but will work on learning, something!

Thanks, will check out

I have the 'Stick Control' book (using practice pad) and will be getting.a (very!) used, cheap snare drum from a drum buddy, later in the week.

I really can't go beyond this (as far as gear), for a while, but will work on learning, something!
These tracks are great for brush practice. Enjoy!

Thanks, will check out

Fantastic Book you might enjoy!
613wFvEPyWL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Thanks, will check out

Another great book I just got! Eight Etudes for Snaredrum. Check it out!
cover-112x150.jpg

Thanks!
Is this maybe over my head for someone who has NO idea what they are doing?

I'm literally, at the,
RLRL RLRL RLRL...
RRLR LLRL RRLR...
RLRR LRLL RLRR... level!
( also working on 2 and 3 stroke rolls- fun!)

* using/working on both grips- slowly on everything
Haha! Well, then maybe next year!

Haha! Well, then maybe next year!
Exactly! Thanks

Can you recommend a fe easy/ beginners books?
I have the 'Stick Control
for Snare Drum' book. I know it's the 'bible' but no real instruction

(Things may never go beyond my practice pad and snare drum, which I'm getting next week- but just curious to learn a bit of basics).

Edit: I sort of need some direction on where these stick exercise/patterns take you, real application ( but I understand these are vital, building blocks)

- for me, it would be a swingy, R&R /blues, even in a jazz direction, vs. marching snare

Me, rambling....

I have the 'Stick Control
for Snare Drum' book. I know it's the 'bible' but no real instruction
It doesn't get much more basic than Stone. There are two introductory pages in Stone that explain how the book is to be used. Page 5 is considered essential, with all the sticking permutations.

Beyond that, the Search function on DW is your friend. There are many threads discussing Stone's Stick Control:
https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?search/3765953/&q=stone+stick+control&o=date

If you’re thinking of switching to matched, these guys show just how much power and finesse can be extracted from traditional grip.

In fact, watch Vinnie’s turn at soloing starting at 6:50 ish. And watch his left hand. This is one of the things that makes him stand out, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
If you’re thinking of switching to matched, these guys show just how much power and finesse can be extracted from traditional grip.

In fact, watch Vinnie’s turn at soloing starting at 6:50 ish. And watch his left hand. This is one of the things that makes him stand out, in my humble opinion.
Awesome! Thanks!

Just picked up this fantastic book by Bernie Galane. It is more exercise and pattern based. Starting very basic to really challenging. Also great for beginners.

View attachment 144847
Thanks! Will check out!

I actually have ordered a book ( I just liked the subject) by Joe Morello, about how to apply rudiments to playing jazz drums.

Way over my head, Im sure but I had to get a book by Joe! I'm sure I'll pickup something to work on.
He is very humble in the drum clinics/talks I've seen on video.

Thanks! Will check out!

I actually have ordered a book ( I just liked the subject) by Joe Morello, about how to apply rudiments to playing jazz drums.

Way over my head, Im sure but I had to get a book by Joe! I'm sure I'll pickup something to work on.
He is very humble in the drum clinics/talks I've seen on video.
Totally! So much great stuff out there! I really like the Galane book. It keeps me busy for the next year, hahaa! Have a great weekend!

Hi guys,

Sometimes I ask myself why I actually still try to play traditional. It seems so much more work and many great players switched to matched. Yet some players have such beautiful and powerful traditional technique and it seems to come mostly from the fingers. Micro movements. Just saw this incredible clip of Bernie Galane and wonder what exercises you could recommend to get such flow and finesse, but also power. Thank you so much!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here is a funny Buddy Rich Match Grip Video for you guys! Enjoy and have a great week ahead!

Back