Mounted Tom Sizes

I love the 10" tom. I had to let it go because unmiced, it couldn't hang with the other toms.

So I went 12/13/16 on the toms. The 12" sounds better unmiced than the 10....from out in the audience (thanks recorder!)

I go for the Motown high tom sound, in a big way, which was a 12.

I can't believe it took me this long to incorporate a 13" tom.

When I use a 4 piece it's 12 and 16 on the toms

Just an added observation that certain bass drum mounted tom holders may not go high enough to comfortably angle 13x10 and larger rack toms on a 22 inch kick drum.

The tom holders I am referring to are the tube within a tube styles from Tama and DW. There could be others.

I had to use the base of an old Tama cymbal stand as a stand in for the factory supplied lower tube in order to raise the height of the 12 and 13 mounted on a 22 kick.

No worries, the shell looks nice. I love the natural lacquuer
Hey thanks. Actually, I sprayed them with polyester. I prefer the more glass look of polished lacquer, but, didn't feel like putting in the time and effort. This has a bit of plasticky look, but, it's ok, It'll do.

Last edited:
I like 12, 13, 16. I currently run 12, 12, 13, 16, but am considering to turn one 12 into a permanent concert tom.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist ,but if the companies use less ,but charge the same ,it boosts profits.
Anybody notice cereal and beer packaging shrinking ,but prices are still the same?
I'm sure there's an MBA going ,nah,nobody will notice.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist ,but if the companies use less ,but charge the same ,it boosts profits.
Anybody notice cereal and beer packaging shrinking ,but prices are still the same?
I'm sure there's an MBA going ,nah,nobody will notice.
Yes, this has been going on for a long time. One of the broadcast news magazines did a special on this very topic. About all companies/products are guilty of this. Sneaky way to raise prices.

I blame Gadd for getting everybody started on this whole "10-12" business. Of course, in a studio, anything would really work and he had valid technical reasons for doing so (small drums tuned down do sound really good when mic'ed up), but for the rest of us non-mic'd-playing-in-a-rock-band crowd, I think 10" sounds anemic next to the bigger drums. So I keep a traditional 5-piece set of 12/13/16/22 in addition to my more fusion-y set with 10/12/14/16/22. Both work great, but the traditional sized one seems to get the nod for most of my music gigs these days.

Back