More Broken Time Jazz Drumming during Lockdown

Great camera angle for a bop lesson. The ride sound seems overbearing in the recording.

For the pattern up to first 13 minutes
The syncopation of the HH foot seems impractical when played at speed, at least for the pattern you're using. I think the better perspective is to look at inserting the HH foot as a LH replacement. Or even as part of a LH-HHfoot linear pattern.

For the pattern at 15:57
I like the bass drum groove, as part of a RLRLLRRLRLLR pattern between SD(L) and HHfoot. However, the inverted jazz ride pattern looks awkward:

Code:
RLRLLRRLRLLR
  ^     ^
  insert HHfoot here

Ride |x.xx..x.xx..|x..x.xx..x.x|
SD   |.o.oo..o.oo.|.o.oo..o.oo.|
BD   |o....oo....o|o....oo....o|
HHft |..x.....x...|..x.....x...|
        ^     ^       ^     ^
        |     |       more realistic ride cymbal placement
        awkward placement of ride cymbal aligning with syncopated HHfoot

Didn't have time to check the rest of the video. Great John Riley recommendation. Great playing!

Last edited:
Great camera angle for a bop lesson. The ride sound seems overbearing in the recording.

For the pattern up to first 13 minutes
The syncopation of the HH foot seems impractical when played at speed, at least for the pattern you're using. I think the better perspective is to look at inserting the HH foot as a LH replacement. Or even as part of a LH-HHfoot linear pattern.

For the pattern at 15:57
I like the bass drum groove, as part of a RLRLLRRLRLLR pattern between SD(L) and HHfoot. However, the inverted jazz ride pattern looks awkward:

Didn't have time to check the rest of the video. Great John Riley recommendation. Great playing!

Thanks for the input. Part of this process is to do with the discovery of phrases, and that includes those that work, and those that may be impractical. I've done three streams in this series so far, with a fourth tomorrow afternoon (UK time), and it's all about discovery. I'll bear your suggestions in mind, thanks!

Regarding the ride, and the sound generally, as of yesterday I'll be streaming using a proper set of mics and not just my phone's mic, so hopefully that will help.

Back