Ludwig gurus- need help identifying and pricing a kit

dkerwood

Silver Member
Ludwig Rocker help!

I'm trying to price my Ludwig (I'm almost positive it's a Rocker) so that I can upgrade, but I can't quite figure out a year. Beyond that, I can't figure out a price for the shells. Someone on this forum said that one series of Rocker was actually maple shells, and the Ludwig site says original Rockers had at least 1 ply of maple... I've got a Gibraltar rack and some additional stuff that I'll be selling with my kit; what I'm looking for now is just what I should ask for the shells- I can add the rest afterward.

It's a 7 piece Ludwig (12, 13, 14, 15, 16 toms and 22 kick). I also ran across a steel Ludwig snare whose serial # places it within 100 of a few of the toms and within 350 of my kick and the rest of the set. I need to know if it would be worth more in a package with the kit or on its own.

Serial numbers on every drum land in the 60752xx - 60756xx vicinity.

Here are some pics:

Interior of kick
2041620.jpg

Interior of floor tom (sorry for the reflection)
2041619.jpg

Kick badge detail
2041621.jpg

Tom detail
2041622.jpg

Snare drum- does it match the kit?
2041618.jpg

Thanks in advance!

I was sort of thinking along those lines as well. According to Ludwig's site, that's the only real difference- the speckled paint.

Any idea of a price I should be aiming for?

Where are you gonna sell the kit? eBay? Craig's list? If that's the case, it's not so much "what you should ask" for the drums as "what can I get" for the drums. Right now, it's a buyers market. A Ludwig standard 20, 12, 14 3 ply recently did not sell for the asking price of $950. A 22, 12, 13, 16 Blue Strata standard recently did not sell for the asking price of $665. A 7 piece kit is gonna be a hard sell. I'd bust up the kit and sell individual drums. A cat wanting a 22, 12, 13, 16 probably won't bid. Why pay for extra drums and shipping? The cat wanting to add the 14, 15 to his kit (he already owns the 22, 12, 13, 16) isn't gonna bid either. And I'd sell the rack separate as well. The more options you give your buyers, the more buyers you're gonna attract. Some cat wants to buy the whole kit, don't worry, he'll e-mail you about it.

Craigslist is my aim. I guess one of my pet peeves, especially on eBay, is when people split up a drumset into individual drums. I hate the idea of winning a snare and three toms but losing the kick to some guy who's been dying for a matching second kick for his set.

It does make sense, though, to break up the set. I've got the original hardware anyway, so I can always make it a standalone kit. I just don't want to end up with too many random drum pieces.

...pet peeves, especially on eBay, is when people split up a drumset into individual drums. I hate the idea of winning a snare and three toms but losing the kick to some guy who's been dying for a matching second kick for his set.
Sure, as a buyer, it can be brutal. But, reverse the role. You, as a seller (which you are, in this case), want to make money. I do, however, always set up my auctions so the kick drum sells first. And time it so that each auction ends 5-15 minutes apart. So a serious buyer, if he wants the whole kit, in a half hours time, he has it. In the case of Craig's list, you'll always be dealing with "or best offer cats". And a lot of these guys, this is what they do for a living. In which case, you'll see your drums on eBay next week. Chances are good. So what you ask and what you'll get (?) all depends on the local market. Still, I'd sell the rack separate. Ask $400 for the drums...$200 for the rack. Or best offer. See who calls.

Yes, I can take some better pics, but I'm in KS.

I'll try to get that done tonight. Did we ever even set a price? :)

Have your buddy take a look at this page.

I am selling the 5 toms, kick, and steel snare, plus two double tom stands and Ludwig cymbal stand. I'm also selling the Gibraltar rack with 6 regular clamps, 6 memory clamps (3 heavy duty, 3 light duty), 2 cymbal clamps, and one additional cymbal boom arm. The rack also comes with a rolling golf-style bag for storage.

I am NOT selling the cymbals, the bronze snare, the piccolo snare, or any of the extra fun stuff in some of those full set pictures. I took those for me, and put them up just in case it showed something that your friend would need to see.

The kick drum uses the straight slide-in spurs. I've misplaced one, but I expect to find it soon. Other than that, everything should be complete and as operational as can be expected.

Let me know if you need any other pictures.

Oh, and I'll be pulling the heads off of the kick drum (they're expensive!). I included pics of the heads I will sell it with - the original(!) batter head and a Tama Starclassic reso head. If that's a dealbreaker, well, we'll see. If your friend will just be throwing the rest of the heads away, I would like to keep them. I couldn't find any good heads to replace the coated Ambassadors for shipping, but if he doesn't mind me shipping it headless, I'd just assume keep the heads as I search for the perfect kit. They're not in particularly good shape, but they're good for testing what heads I'll need for my new kit.

Dude,

Sorry, he jumped last night and bought a kit :-( I was hoping to bring you two together but he was anxious and ran into something here in town that he said he could not pass...still do not know what it is, but SoRrY....good luck anyway

Back