Ludwig Black Beauty with a dent. Should I buy?

matchgrip

Hey guys!

So finally I saved up enough to buy my first good snare. I was checking on Supras and BBs and I have found this BB (14x6.5) from a jazz drummer friend who recently got full endorsement with Gretsch so he's selling his Ludwigs.

He gave me a good price for a BB (550 euro), the only thing that concerns me is that the snare has a big bent on it. He told me that it didn't change the sound in a bad way at all and that I'm welcomed to check it myself (which I will do when I go to my hometown to get it)

But I wanted to ask the experts here. What do you guys think? Do you think I shouldn't buy it or do you think it's not much of a problem? (aesthetically I don't have any issue with it, all I'm concerned is the sound)

Here are the photos of the snare, I appreciate any answers, thank you already!!

And here's a video of it:

P.S. there are small mods in the snare, like the hoops(die cast) and the wire are black and the throw-off has been replaced with a p-86.

Attachments

• IMG_1846.PNG
    IMG_1846.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1845 2.PNG
    IMG_1845 2.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
If you got a discount and it doesn't effect the sound then maybe worth it. If your only concern is the sound then one to play in person and judge for yourself.

It would bug the hell out of me though. It's more a crater than a dent!!

Be mindful that it will have an effect on any future resale (not just value of course but also desirability)

Be mindful that it will have an effect on any future resale
Must be a DW thing.

Oh wait!
42716.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

source.gif

You mean to take it to a drum luthier? And do you think it would be safe to have it done? (I'm sorry I'm quite ignorant on drum making processes)
An auto body shop could get it out. Just a hammer and die to match the curve. But then you have paid for the drum and its repair.

I'd find another snare personally.

An auto body shop could get it out. Just a hammer and die to match the curve. But then you have paid for the drum and its repair.

I'd find another snare personally.
+1
Unless you have the skills to to hammer and dolly out that dent yourself, it would be cost prohibitive.
Now I'm interested, and to fuel a different fire, I'd fix it and flip it for a profit.

IMO the price is too high for a drum with a dent that size
Check out the prices of Ludwig drums in Europe and have a good laugh. :)
I would try to talk him down a bit if you really like the sound. I've seen people fixing such dents with rubber hammers and pieces of wood. Supposedly, not hard, but personally I would be a bit anxious to try it on an expensive drum for the first time.

Hey guys!

So finally I saved up enough to buy my first good snare. I was checking on Supras and BBs and I have found this BB (14x6.5) from a jazz drummer friend who recently got full endorsement with Gretsch so he's selling his Ludwigs.

He gave me a good price for a BB (550 euro), the only thing that concerns me is that the snare has a big bent on it. He told me that it didn't change the sound in a bad way at all and that I'm welcomed to check it myself (which I will do when I go to my hometown to get it)

But I wanted to ask the experts here. What do you guys think? Do you think I shouldn't buy it or do you think it's not much of a problem? (aesthetically I don't have any issue with it, all I'm concerned is the sound)

Here are the photos of the snare, I appreciate any answers, thank you already!!

And here's a video of it:

P.S. there are small mods in the snare, like the hoops(die cast) and the wire are black and the throw-off has been replaced with a p-86.
It’s a huge dent but as long as it doesn’t effect the bearing edge it may be fine. I’d never give the mother fuvker 550 euros for it that’s 650$.

I'd pass on it.

You mean to take it to a drum luthier? And do you think it would be safe to have it done? (I'm sorry I'm quite ignorant on drum making processes)
I would be contacting a local panel beater, dent repairer. Or, if you are feeling confident then a good dolly & a sand bag would suffice. That dent would disappear :)

way to much money for a dented drum. he offed it to you but im sure on the open market he would have no interest at that price. most likely will have no noticeable effect on the sound but cosmetically its crappy looking.

I would check the shell for roundness.
I would check the bearing edge for flatness / ease of batter head tuning.
I would check inside the shell as well.
I would then say "Screw this" and get a DW Collectors Bell Brass.

Looks like the ‘brass on brass’ model which is more expensive except no brass hoops which also came in diecast so it’s already ratted out. Don’t know if the wires are favorable or not.

If it was vintage with a good story, like Bonzo dropped my BB then different. But I look at that dent like someone pissed in the champagne.

Yeah I wouldn't buy that drum. I've met a few Ludwig snares in better shape that I couldn't quite get in tune (and lots more than were very easy to tune, to be fair) so I can't help but imagine that this would be one of those that never quite sounds right. And for 550 Euros, no thank you.

Back