Introduce myself

Hello to everyone on the Drummerworld forum, my name is Tom and I have played Guitar since Primary school (now 27 years old) but have picked up drums in the last month.
I have always had an interest in the drums ever since picking up the guitar but only until now I made the dive and bought a second hand 'Old Skool' Pearl Export kit as my first and to get started on.
I am a metal head and listen and play metal pretty much primarily but do have some interests in other genres.

The kit I bought was from an older guy who played in a Jazz band and cut big holes in all the resonant heads of the Toms and cut a big hole in the Bass drum resonant head as well, I have just bought a new set of heads for the Bass drum but I am looking for new heads for the Toms now because of this. The sound isn't there and the drums sound lifeless.

Can anyone recommend some decent snare and Tom heads, both batter and resonant heads ?
Also do you use the same heads for both the batter and resonance side ?

Looking forward to the future on the Drummer World Forum!

Thanks,
Tom

Welcome to Google world. Since you play metal I would recommend a two ply head on top Evans G2 Remo pinstripe or Aquarian super 2. A clear on the bottom Evans G1 Remo ambassador or Aquarian resonant.

Hello to everyone on the Drummerworld forum, my name is Tom and I have played Guitar since Primary school (now 27 years old) but have picked up drums in the last month.
I have always had an interest in the drums ever since picking up the guitar but only until now I made the dive and bought a second hand 'Old Skool' Pearl Export kit as my first and to get started on.
I am a metal head and listen and play metal pretty much primarily but do have some interests in other genres.

The kit I bought was from an older guy who played in a Jazz band and cut big holes in all the resonant heads of the Toms and cut a big hole in the Bass drum resonant head as well, I have just bought a new set of heads for the Bass drum but I am looking for new heads for the Toms now because of this. The sound isn't there and the drums sound lifeless.

Can anyone recommend some decent snare and Tom heads, both batter and resonant heads ?
Also do you use the same heads for both the batter and resonance side ?

Looking forward to the future on the Drummer World Forum!

Thanks,
Tom

Heyo!

Cut heads in the resonant heads of the toms? That's wild haha.

I would also consider Evans EC2 SSTs for the toms. They feature an Edge- Control ring mounted underneath two plies of 7mm film. By controlling edge vibration instead of eliminating it, the ring isolates and damps higher overtones, enhancing low end and attack, and enabling a broader tuning range - and they actually much more lively than you would assume for a thicker head and they'll last a while if you hit hard.

I would recommend the Evans Genera Resonant heads for the bottom - these are 10mm single ply heads that help give you some of the tone you are looking for and pair nicely with the EC2s.

For the snare - I would go with go with an Evans ST Dry snare. This head has a two-plies of 7.5mm film with precision-drilled holes along the outer edge. These vents help reduce excessive overtones and control sustain. They also give your snare a more focused sound. For the snare side head - I would look at an Evans Snare Side 300 - it's a pretty standard snare side - 3mm thick - easy to tune, etc.

You might look at new snare wires too for that snare - I would go with a puresound super 30 - some nice new snare wires could crisp up and clean the sound a little as well.

Those are a solid set of heads that will be easy be easy to tune - will give you nice punchy toms with a round sound that will last a while - and a nice clean snare sound that will pretty crispy and also last a while.

Rock on man!

Welcome to the forum. Drumheads are a very personal choice, one difficult to rate or quantify. For over thirty years, I used Remo Coated Ambassadors (single-ply) on every drum, both as batter and resonant heads, my snare resonant head being the one exception. During the lockdown, I've experimented a bit with double-ply batter heads (Remo Ebony Pinstripes) on my toms and bass drum. Double-plies have a softer feel but also reduce volume in a way. I'd encourage you to try both single-plies and double-plies to see which qualities you prefer.

Toms with holes cut in the resonant heads, or toms that have no resonant heads, are called concert toms. Their sound can be one-dimensional. If you want a great all-purpose resonant head, try Remo's Clear Ambassador. It's well suited to all applications.

Cheers for the replies and help guys, I have removed the old heads but I am a little confused by the size of the drums. I measured the different pieces and these were the results:
11" Snare
9" Tom
10" Tom
12" Floor Tom

I have been looking at the recommendations you guys have posted in here but all of the heads are of different sizes, why is this ?
Also the snare sizes are in 14".

Measure across the rim of each drum with the heads and rims removed. The drum head should be a fraction more than width of the bare shell. Pearl Export toms are usually 10, 12, 13, 14 or 16 inches across. The snares are usually 14.

Welcome to DW glad to see you turn from the Dark side (guitar-LOL) and reaching for the light. But beware not all lights are equal some are bug zappers LOL. But you've come to the right place and will receive a lot of good info-and perhaps be entertained a bit with forum drama from time to time-it's all good people should be passionate about beliefs. My brother is a guitar player and we both see music from a bit different perspective- I think your guitar experience will be a big plus in moving to a new instrument (it's all about making music!).

Measure across the rim of each drum with the heads and rims removed. The drum head should be a fraction more than width of the bare shell. Pearl Export toms are usually 10, 12, 13, 14 or 16 inches across. The snares are usually 14.

Removed the heads and measured the shells and they are the sizes I posted beforehand. The sizes are so strange and when looking for new ones I cannot find any in those sizes. 9x8" and 10x8" Rack Toms, 12x12" Floor Tom and a 11x4.5" Snare.

This seems very weird! I've never seen an 11" snare and google only comes up with a few results.
But you measured your old bass drum head before getting a new one and it fits, right? What size is the bass then? Maybe it's a version for kids and the previous owner used it as a small Jazz set. If you can take a few photos, people might provide you with some more information on the set.
I don't know which heads would work for Metal with these sizes but maybe a 2 ply head like a Remo Pinstripe would sound like card boxes. The Remo Powerstroke 3 has a single ply with a ring - maybe that would be a compromise.

This seems very weird! I've never seen an 11" snare and google only comes up with a few results.
But you measured your old bass drum head before getting a new one and it fits, right? What size is the bass then? Maybe it's a version for kids and the previous owner used it as a small Jazz set. If you can take a few photos, people might provide you with some more information on the set.
I don't know which heads would work for Metal with these sizes but maybe a 2 ply head like a Remo Pinstripe would sound like card boxes. The Remo Powerstroke 3 has a single ply with a ring - maybe that would be a compromise.

Bass drum is 22" and the heads are fitted on fine.
I apologise for my ignorance, I was using a tape measure I found in the drawer and it happened to be from a Christmas cracker and the measurements were completely off hahaha.
Re-done the measurements with a proper tape measure and the findings were:
16x16 Floor Tom, 12" & 13" Rack Toms and a 14x6" Snare.

Good first impressions on the forum...

LOL you're good man. We must be brothers of another mother-Welcome I do that stuff all the time on here. Oooops. That's really funny though. Just count your blessings they aren't really some screwy size. Whew-a close one!

LOL you're good man. We must be brothers of another mother-Welcome I do that stuff all the time on here. Oooops. That's really funny though. Just count your blessings they aren't really some screwy size. Whew-a close one!

Hahaha, I started to get a little panicky and then realised when I started measuring up the Bass Drum that something was wrong when it was measuring to 17" and I had just put 22" heads on.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Ended up going with Evans EC2 / Evans G1 for the Toms and Evans Genera Dry / Evans Snare Side 300 for the Snare.
Also got some new wires - Puresound Super 30.
Already have the Evans EMAD2 / Evans EQ3 setup on the Bass drum so should all sound nice when together.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Ended up going with Evans EC2 / Evans G1 for the Toms and Evans Genera Dry / Evans Snare Side 300 for the Snare.
Also got some new wires - Puresound Super 30.
Already have the Evans EMAD2 / Evans EQ3 setup on the Bass drum so should all sound nice when together.

Solid rig - they'll sound great.

Back